PDA

View Full Version : Painting in photoshop?...where to start?

grouchy_smurf
04-15-2005, 05:52 AM
hey...i'm actually kindda new....actually a virgin in digital painting....i was hoping that you guys can give me a few starter hints on how to start painting in photoshop..but just with a mouse....like maybe the procedures and maybe steps to take and not to take.....i know i'm asking a lot...but i'm really inspired after checking your work on cg....so...thanks a bunch!

Skjoldbroder
04-15-2005, 09:23 AM
basically, you start painting in Photoshop by starting to paint in Photoshop.
there are no tricks or easy shortcuts.

zbert
04-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Not sure if you are new to Photoshop or new to painting in Photoshop. The first step is to learn what all the tools do and practice using each. Don't worry about actually creating a work of art in the beginning...just learn how to use the tools effectively. You'll need more than the paintbrush!

--zbert

davpunk
04-15-2005, 03:23 PM
ya, pretty much practice and learn with the tools. Get a tablet and just go at it...maybe check out this link...

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/dpa01.html

m_m_m35
04-17-2005, 08:40 AM
I just searched google and i found this website. Hope that u like it
http://www.trainingtools.com/online/photoshop6/

RiKToR
04-17-2005, 09:00 PM
What if you have an individual such as myself who has a few years experience editing and creating in photoshop. But as most people know photoshop was designed to edit photos not as a painting tool and in my experience you almost have to start with an image and edit it like matte painting. (Granted Adobe has added more painterly tools.)

I have been trying to use painter but am unfamiliar with the program, even after tutorials on the interface and tools, but am more familiar with photoshop interface, tools, and ways to work around problems. So where does a person with photoshop experience go to learn how to start painting, or am I not as familiar as I thought.

To give advice to the individual who started this thread, if your using a mouse then the selection tools are your friends, beacause you can't create clean strokes or objects with your mouse make rough selection by making a selection then adding to it using the shift key to add to a selection. Also to utilize the lasso tool to make awkward selections.

Beacuse you don't have the control of painting using a tablet use every tool in your arsenal to create a bounding box that will generate a barrier for the object your painting.

davpunk
04-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Painting has been around forever-way before Photoshop. Photoshop has tools based on the traditional methods of painting. AKA A paintbrush, opacity, palettes etc... Knowing the tools in photoshop helps a little, but what would help more? Answer: Knowing how to paint traditionally. Also the knowledge of color, light, line, composition, contrast etc...all theories and practices based on Traditional foundation- and all conciously utilized by the visual effects pros that we all know and love.

Skjoldbroder
04-17-2005, 09:31 PM
and in my experience you almost have to start with an image and edit it like matte painting. (Granted Adobe has added more painterly tools.)

nope. check this out :
http://henrik.cgcommunity.com/gallery/cgpainting/mountain_base.jpg

All you need is to know your tool, in this case Photoshop, in other cases a paintbrush and acrylics or whatever.

davpunk
04-17-2005, 09:40 PM
huh? nope what?

grouchy_smurf
04-18-2005, 01:24 AM
thanks!!...for the tips and hints guys...i will like check out on traditional painting and stuff...like u guys said..to get to know the tools and the brushes...neways...did something during the weekend....will be posting up in WIP....named....Violet and Klaus..

RiKToR
04-18-2005, 04:19 AM
Know how to paint, I guess I'll do some research into the brushes and extended tools. As far as composition, mixing color, I pretty much know it. Any tips on how to set up brushes for a more painterly feel?

I really need to kick my parents, they though art was a waste of time and a distraction from real work (school at the time), boy did they have kittens when I told them I was in college for art. Oh well I got a lot of catching up to do.

TraceR
04-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Hey,

I am a PS newbie to. But I want to learn. I have no intention of becoming a pro 3d artist, but I think I would really benefit from learning how to use it anyway. Since I am a 3d artist, I would really like to learn how to paint my own textures. I currently mostly use PS just for webdesign and photo editing. But I would like to go beyond that. I am thinking about buying a Wacom when I get the money. I have been reading tuts and learning as much as I can. But you are right about learning how to paint traditionally. I need to learn how to do that myself. :D If anyone knows any more good tutorial sites, please post them.

TraceR

davpunk
04-18-2005, 03:37 PM
tutorial sites only do so much. theyre not the best way to learn, and most of them are for doing "tricks" - which arent the best way to get high quality film looking results. If you are serious about learning anything, I suggest either further education or maybe looking into investing in some DVDs or classes. The Gnomon Workshop puts out some great inspiring and educational material thats worth checking into.

http:www.thegnomonworkshop.com

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2005, 03:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.