PDA

View Full Version : clay models

alex.h.
04-15-2005, 04:40 AM
hi mates.
i thought we could have a tread we could post ouer clay models in , it can be (moc ups) or finisht pieces that we maby have used or going to use as a referense to do ouer 3d models.
i start whith my (mok up) of Sneaky baby.
http://alexsculpt.0catch.com/sneaky%20baby/sneaky-clay.jpg

ashakarc
04-15-2005, 05:17 AM
Nice model. Would you kindly describe the process? I am very interested in this technique.

Thanks,
ashakarc

alex.h.
04-16-2005, 07:22 AM
hi ashakarc.

on this figure.

1..i started whith gluing a little piece of balsawood to a base.
2..bendid some wire to use as skeleton for my figure and the branch chapes and plased them in to wood (make shore the wire is steady, use alot of glue)
3..put some hard clay like (milliput)or simular on the wires, but only half of the figure (branches) mass.(bulk), let that dry.
4.. now you got a steady figure and main bulk.
5..start sculpt the figure,with your shoise of clay, you can do it in bits if you wish (its easier)
I usely start from feets and go up on ordinary figures, because you cant easely adjust the hight later,(like you can do in 3d).
6..when you done the main body, start doing your small details.
7..finisht.

another easier way of making a figure for sculpy.

start whith armature whithout arms, its easier to sculpt the body first, do to, that in real life,
not 3d, the arms is in the whay of your tools.
on armature put half of the bulk of the figure in milliput, let that dry.
milliput gets rock hard so your figure dont move, whith sculpy its wery important that the figure dont move, it cracs straightaway. put some extra milliput under the figure (rase him up alittle) then he is stedy.
when you do the body just do some blobs for were the arms is going, you cut them of later, its youst so you get the tors in the right pose. if you whant, you do the same whith the head,, in this way its easy to change the hight and bulk whitout cutting the figure in bits.
when body is done,cut blobs away, you need a hobby saw,then drill holes in the milliput for arms and head, then new armature and half of bulk again on arms ,head.
now you got a steady figure you can put scullpy on.

i hope that helps alittle and rememder (always sculpt on a stedy base)
see you and :thumbsup:

makaron
04-26-2005, 06:02 PM
really nice written how to make a model with clay... and nice to see your real models too, not just the 3D ones :) inspiring thread... this make me wanna take claylump and start modelling... or try atl least .. i wanna see more pics of your models id you have any...

alex.h.
04-26-2005, 08:52 PM
thanks makaron, at least one person is in to clay models here. see you and thanks :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MKStudios
04-27-2005, 02:37 AM
Nice work, alex! I like all the little tendrils and the spiral patterns on the figure.

Here's a little sculpt I did for another forum.

http://www.morgankeithstudios.com/patrick/rusty/rusty01.jpg

Click this link to see the progress. (http://www.morgankeithstudios.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20)

alex.h.
04-27-2005, 05:54 AM
great work mkstudios, and great work on progress, i hope to se more of your sculpts.
see you later and :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ashakarc
04-27-2005, 06:42 AM
Thanks Alex for the StepBYStep.

Anariel
05-30-2005, 11:30 PM
My god, Alex, you're amazing! I especially loved your "Toy Fairy" threads. I live in Derby, so I'm not too far away from you.
Did you make clay models of those fairy too? If so, I might have to come to Nottingham and beg you for one. I am obsessed with fairy.
You should really consider doing a tutorial on how you go from the clay model to 3D on the computer.

KayosIII
05-31-2005, 02:22 AM
Very nice Work Alex. Makes me want to grab some modelling clay, wire and disappear for a couple of days. How big is the piece? What do you find is the best way to get fine detail?

MKStudios - that is a very sweet looking rust monster.

collings
06-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Exellent thread alex.h. really good idea :thumbsup:
It's also very interesting to see wip like MKStudios did !

i just have a little question i hope it's not to stupid :blush:

What's the difference btw "Clay" and "Plastiline(french word)" ?

Hope to see more sculpture here !
and i'll try to do one as soon as possible :arteest:

alex.h.
06-02-2005, 09:52 PM
hi again mates.
Anariel.. thanks alot, sorry havent made the toy fairys in (clay) yet.
I youst use my clay models as reference somethimes when i make 3d, so what i mean, i just look at them, so its not mutch to make a tutorial of.
KayosIII..clay sneaky is about 10 cm high.
getting great detail is mostly up to passion and a wax 5 (a dentist tool) that is great, it has a round side and a kind of a knife side, and i made some of my own tools from nidles and old brushes, i send some detaild work in my next post.
collings..thanks alot, i like the wip mk studio sendid to, its great.
when i say clay models i mean everything from 2 component putty like (green stuff and milliput) to sculpy, fimo and ofcourse ordinary high owen temprature clays.
I have not workt so muth in plasteline(its a sort of plastic clay)that not cure, but you can put it in the frezer or cold spray it if you need it harder for carving or moving it,(a cold box is a great traveling thing for your plasteline figures.
Here is a 3 year old figure i made for my work (games workshop) and i used it as reference to my master and servant beast. see you and :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
http://alexsculpt.0catch.com/div/BEAST-01.JPG

XYZRGB
06-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Just fantastic ! I'm inspired to sculpt !

( I started my first sculpture a month or two ago ( a draft horse ..yawn ) using Sculpey.
The mesh was dense mesh chicken wire with an outer layer of everything imaginable that was not flammable. ( I intended to bake it ).

The clay didn't stick too well though and cracked.
I gave up .

How often do you actually bake your figures ?
Is this required, or can I just put a hard coat of some kind of substance to seal the soft clay underneath .

I'm 'chomping at the bit' to start over on a sculpt now.

Thanks !

alex.h.
06-05-2005, 09:08 PM
hi again mates, here is another figure i done for work, sorry for the bad foto,i do a bether won later, i answer you tomorow vegan.ok. see you and :thumbsup: http://alexsculpt.0catch.com/div/GILLIAD.JPG

collings
06-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Well it's a one again a pretty nice figurine you have done :applause:
Don't stop to post your work 'cause it's always a pleasure for me (and for others as well i'm sure) to seeing it ;)

i have a little question ... do you know a website where we can buy some gr of clay ...

KolbyJukes
06-05-2005, 11:02 PM
mmmm games-workshop....
I was such a warhammer freak in my teen years. Sometimes I still feel the urge to grab some blister-packs and paint em up.

-K.

collings
06-06-2005, 11:55 AM
hey Kwak, i'm wondering if you sculpt sometimes before to make a model in 3D... or just for practice to learn volumes ...

I mean you're a awesome modeler so what do you do for that ... :D

alex.h.
06-07-2005, 06:31 AM
I dident realy get your question Vegan.
You dont wont to restart your figure ?
You need to now how to continue on a cract figure ?
Sculpy cracs wery easy, so if you read my second post i explain how to start a sculpy figure
so it hopfuly dont crac.
Even if its a big figure whith wire mesh, its always nesesairy to use some 2 component rock hard clay for the start (put a layer over the main bulk whith ex. milliput).
You can always bake your figure and let it crac, then continue whith a layer of milliput, but take away as mutch of your existing sculpy you can, its wery easy that your figure have to mouth bulk when its time fore details.
I usely leave 1/3 of the main figure bulk for detailing.
Green stuff is a great 2 component putty for detailing, you can by that in any games workshop shop. you have around 1.5 to 2 hours on eath mix of putty, its better to do many mixes, then you dont have to rush it, let the green cure over night and then you can atack it whith scalpel and sand paper if you have missed something.
Milliputt you probably can by in any hobby shop, its a great putty for bulk but its a little harder to use for details, but ofcourse you can make details whith that to.
Another putty is Magic sculp its kind of a (mix) betwen the bouth mentioned puttys, i personaly love magic sculp for larger figures, it dryes in around 2 to 3 houers, and it gets rock hard. sanding it is great.
I hope that helpt alittle, if not, give me another question.
Thanks alot Collings and sorry dont now a web, youst do a google searth.
I hope you send some of your figures KWAK (if you sculpted some).
See you all later and have a great day :thumbsup:

collings
06-07-2005, 11:56 AM
thanks for answer alex.h.have a great day too :thumbsup:

XYZRGB
06-25-2005, 04:49 PM
I dident realy get your question Vegan.
You dont wont to restart your figure ?
You need to now how to continue on a cract figure ?
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Sorry for the long delay on the reply Alex.

( Never mind the earlier post. )

I think maybe I 'bit off more than I could chew" as the saying goes.

What would you recommend as a first sculpture ? ( Hopefully not something boring like a vase )

I guess I'll just toss the idea of finishing the sculpture of the horse.
I had started it by twisting some heavy duty wire to form a mesh, then over that I crammed on about fifteen dollars worth of aluminium wrap, and then fine mesh chicken wire.
Over that, I just wrapped the hell out of it with duct tape. I then applied the Sculpey.

The end result was a body that was too flexible - and the Sculpey began cracking and peeling off in chunks.

What would you have done different ?

Thanks !

Happy Trees
06-27-2005, 05:22 AM
I usualy dont come to this section of the forum but I'm not leting this thread get away!

As soon as I buy some epoxy I'l glue my sculpture together and post it here. It was to big to fire whole so I chopped it of at the limbs neck and tail.

I finaly invested in a digital camera so I can do that now

Its a creature about 1.5 ft tall and 2 x 1.5 as far as how much space it's going to take up on my porch.

I baked it in the last days of school and then work started so I didnt really have time yet.

Hope to post here in a couple of days with good results oh here is the concept sketch. I hope somebody likes it.

http://www.myfilestash.com/userfiles/MagicRubber/Swamp%20Creature%20Project.jpg

The sketch is a little worn.

Some joints shrank more than others so it might take some effort to put it back together.

alex.h.
02-02-2006, 06:32 PM
havent been on this tread for somethimes, but please send in some sculpted figures and i send in some more stuff of my collection,(i have around 200 sculptures)(toy soildiers) that i have made, its to few clay sculpters here, so come on, and send your old (new) hand made sculptures.
And ofcourse ask any quesstion you want about (toy soildier making) and i try to answer them.
see you later and loking forvard for some photos of sculpted figures.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2006, 06:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.