PDA

View Full Version : Dreams

reallycoolguy
04-15-2005, 01:54 AM
Almost everyone I know has dreams (while sleeping) and a lot of the artistic people I know find some of their best inspiration and creativity from these dreams. In my life I've had maybe two dozen occasions where I know that I had a dream the night before but I cannot remember it and four or five occasions where I can actually remember what I dreamt. My Dad had a room mate in college who occasionally had dreams, but they were not very vivid. His art teacher told him to write his dreams down every morning and they would get more vivid and he would remember them. After a month or so his dreams were so detailed and vivid he couldn't sleep through the night without waking up sweating, so he stopped writing down his dreams. I'd like to have dreams and I would be willing to try writing them down except I don't have any dreams to write down. Is there anything I can do to keep my brain going in the middle of the night and remember it? Is it uncommon not to ever have/remember dreams?
Thanks a lot!
--reallycoolguy

traptinmyself113
04-15-2005, 02:22 AM
try drinking orange juice with pulp! we had about 5 galons that we squeezed from oranges we took from the trees in the back yard. and we froze it. i would defrost one at a time and drink a teacup before i went to bed and everytime i drank it i would have dreams. my dad says its because orange juice is acidic and it disturbs your stomach making u sleep lighter thus having dreams. try it maybe itll work for you maybe it wont. just dont go and drink battery acid haha.

Ordibble-Plop
04-15-2005, 02:32 AM
Usually if you wake up suddenly during the dream phase of sleep it is easier to remember your dreams.

If you are really keen, you could try setting your alarm to wake you at odd times with the hope it will be during the dreaming phase. If it is, then force yorself to recollect as much as possible and write it down straight away.

Zack
04-15-2005, 02:35 AM
I go through periods have having dreams and periods of having silent nights. I think it's been about a year since the last time I really remembered a dream I had.

Scientifically speaking, you should be experiencing REM every night, but many people don't remember dreams well unless they are woken up during it. That's why those who are woken by their dreams remember them vividly. If you can, have somebody wake you up during the night (or early morning); if you've got someone who's very willing to help you can have them check that you're in REM (Rapid Eye Movement).

I've never heard the of the orange juice thing. I'll have to try it!

jmBoekestein
04-15-2005, 02:56 AM
I get a lot of "info" on real life events in my life, they seem to be outside of time too.

There are lots of good ideas for dreaming and using your dreams. Try looking for Lucid Dreaming on the web. It involves becoming aware of the fact that you're dreaming and then using that to actually change your dreams.
Dreaming involves a lot of the subconscious mind. If you have a "disturbed" mind, you'll have disturbing dreams simply put. But everything ends, the good and the bad.

reallycoolguy
04-15-2005, 06:17 AM
I'll definitely check out the Lucid Dreams website and try the orange juice idea. I wake up at 5:00 every morning (often after late nights where I only get 3 or 4 hours of sleep) so I would imagine that would interrupt my dreaming time. Well I guess we'll see how everything works out.
Thanks!

Ryan-B
04-15-2005, 06:50 AM
If you want vivid dreams, try ZMA. It's a supplement of zinc, magnesium and B6. You can find it in most health food stores.

nobodee
04-15-2005, 07:05 AM
Well, I don't have any 'real' advices to give you.. I often remember my dreams, but I don't know how. I found out that if an alarm clock or someone wakes me up, I'll forget the dream in an instant. But if I wake up by myself, I won't forget the dream so easily.

I've never tried writing down my dreams, though, but I'll have to start doing so now :)

artjunkie
04-15-2005, 01:24 PM
I've always found my dreams to be very fantastic and vivid... when I can remember them. I seem to remember more dreams when I was a child, perhaps because they seemed so full of weird characters, places and situations... it seemed so real to me as a kid. I LOVED dreaming. I can't say it ever 'inspired' me to do artwork. I prefer to seek inspiration during my waking hours (that way I'm guarenteed to remember, ha ha)

Nowadays I don't seem to remember my dreams that often, but when I do they continue to be very vivid in colour, smell or feel (textures, temperature... even pain, lol).

I may try that writing stuff down when I wake up... just to see if I can remember more of my dreams.

traptinmyself113
04-16-2005, 02:08 AM
i found a how to thing on that lucid dreaming http://brain.web-us.com/lucid/luciddreamingFAQ.htm#What%20is%20Lucid%20Dreaming

im going to try it toninight

Nehym
04-16-2005, 04:37 AM
Must say that i am in the same case than D-NA. Very often i do remember my dreams when i wake up in the morning, actually, most of the tiem when i wake up (oddly enough often at the same hour), i remember my dream. Though there are soem times i dont but i remember them more often than i forget them.

Something that might explain this is probably that i have some repetive dreams that always comes back, some i remember having when i was around 10. It is quite strange since sometimes it feels like it is simply the same dream continuing, some new parts being added each and evertime but some others that always stay the same.

About lucid dreaming i might have a tip, even thoguh i know it will sound quite ridiculous but it did work when i was young and doing it, so it did for my twin brother too. Since dreams comes from our subconscious, it is all a matter of believing and convincing yourself that you are the ''master of your dream''. I remember when i was younger just telling myself repeatedly (sp?) that i am the master of my dream and that only myself could change anything major in them. Strangely enough, it did work. As i already mentioned, it sounds ridiculous but it doesn't cost anything to try. ;)

My spelling is awful tonight, sorry about that... Quite tired and my brain lacks the energy to translate everything in english correctly. ;p

princesslulu
04-16-2005, 06:59 AM
:) I feel the same way.sometimes when i wake up it just remains some feeling of the dream....In our country,the granny and grandpa consider dreams are the parable of the future or what relatives who had been dead want to teel you .i believe about something.

RobW720
04-16-2005, 07:26 AM
first off, reallycoolguy, love the avitar. we sell thoes shirts at work and i have many.

that being said, back to the dream topic. Lucid dreams rule. i used to have them more as a kid but i havnt in years. i get a lot of weird ones, but my favorite type are really goofy. its always 3rd person and it always is letter box... you can see the little black bars like you get on a TV. and usualy they follow movie formats. once i played every character in the cast of the movie "scream"... it was really weird. but it was a good time. i love dreams

traptinmyself113
04-17-2005, 03:05 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe a new topic for the servent master contest! i call it unlimited possibiliteis, anything you can 'dream' up

ummmm if i get it tonight then im going to post here again. i tried to do it last night and i had a dream but i couldnt pull it off, i didnt realize it was a dream

-Vormav-
04-17-2005, 03:53 AM
ummmm if i get it tonight then im going to post here again. i tried to do it last night and i had a dream but i couldnt pull it off, i didnt realize it was a dream
I find that even when I realize I'm dreaming, I still don't have a whole hell of a lot of control over what goes on. The last time I had an experience like that, and told myself in the middle of the dream "okay, I'm dreaming, I should do something!", I just ended up running around kissing random girls that seemed to just pop up out of nowhere. :shrug:

ArtisticVisions
04-17-2005, 04:10 AM
Dreaming involves a lot of the subconscious mind. If you have a "disturbed" mind, you'll have disturbing dreams simply put. But everything ends, the good and the bad.
Eh, I don't know about that. I wouldn't consider myself a "disturbed" person, but I've had some completly insane, whacked-out dreams! :D

As for remembering my dreams, usually I can only do that if I intently concentrate on what the dream was from the moment I wake up (otherwise, I'll forget it several minutes after I'm awake); although, there has been times where I'll remember a dream several months or even year after I had initially dreamed it... :shrug:

Ghostscape
04-17-2005, 04:56 AM
I recall reading that Salvador Dali (I believe it was him. It was one of the famous surrealist/dada painters) would go to sleep holding a key in his hand, with his hand resting over the edge of his bed (I'm pretty sure it wasn't Dali, actually. It was someone.) with a plate underneath it.

As he fell into a state of unconsciousness and his grip loosened on the key, it would fall on the plate and wake him up, and he'd be in a semi-dreamlike state. I've done similar things and had it work rather successfully for sticking myself into a dreamy mood.

I've found I have vivid dreams when I radically change my sleep habits. This includes sleeping upside down (head at the foot of the bed), getting extra sleep (real, solid sleep with no distractions, which is very hard to do...usually a combination of going to bed earlier + a quiet house is required), etc. I have a tendency to not make my bed, and I'm a restless sleeper, so after a while, if I clean my sheets and make my bed and sleep tucked into a well-made bed, this also helps.

I think the most important part, and the part that is most likely avoided by us computer geeks, is the fact that most of us don't get enough sleep, so we don't get the proper cycles, etc.

INFINITE
04-17-2005, 04:05 PM
I've found I have vivid dreams when I radically change my sleep habits. This includes sleeping upside down (head at the foot of the bed), getting extra sleep (real, solid sleep with no distractions, which is very hard to do...usually a combination of going to bed earlier + a quiet house is required), etc. I have a tendency to not make my bed, and I'm a restless sleeper, so after a while, if I clean my sheets and make my bed and sleep tucked into a well-made bed, this also helps.

I totally agree with this. Also as bizarre as it sounds, leaving quiet music on like Classical Music is very good, for me anyway and also if you have a fan, leaving that on over the night creates a warming drumming sound which helps me have a very deep sleep and it blocks out external sound. Also as soon as you wake write down any information you have.

This whole idea of Lucid Dreaming is fascinating, I have a friend who every night controls his dreams. As soon as he realises he is dreaming bang of he fly's where ever he wants! Must practice the control of the dream!

Also a question out too all you guys, have you ever had a very lucid dream of the end of the world? I have had some amazing exhilarating ones, which I find very inspiring. Nuclear bombs going off, seeing the mushroom cloud. Meteors and whole galaxy's falling out of the sky. Am I crazy?

Lique
04-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Talking about dreams, its funny that i rarely pass a sleep without a dream. For some people is the other way around, they hardly get any dream whenever they sleep. Although my dreams varies sometimes from normal life activities to fantasy life. And its not so rare that i get to dream about what's going to happen in the future, sort of like a deja vu thing.

However I get to dream more fantasy when i was younger i guess. I usually can remember what i dreamt the night before, IF I wanted to... but then again, nothing important nowadays.

and i knew some people that solve programming during their sleep, they usually woke up and write the answer right away before they forget it ... good for them hehe

rebuilder
04-18-2005, 04:51 AM
Infinite: I have end-of-the-world dreams all the time, though the causes for destruction are more... supernatural. And they're not lucid. I've had dreams where fiery demons flood from closets in my home, resulting in hordes (and I mean HORDES) of zombies steamrolling the city, with thousands of people running away on wide streets, dreams of napalm-covered skeletons throwing flaming meteorites on dark streets beneath a blazing sky... Actually just now I woke up from running from zombies all night. Those dreams are my favourites.

Ryan-B
04-18-2005, 05:04 AM
I have end-of-the-world dreams all the time, though the causes for destruction are more... supernatural. And they're not lucid. I've had dreams where fiery demons flood from closets in my home, resulting in hordes (and I mean HORDES) of zombies steamrolling the city, with thousands of people running away on wide streets, dreams of napalm-covered skeletons throwing flaming meteorites on dark streets beneath a blazing sky... Actually just now I woke up from running from zombies all night. Those dreams are my favourites.

Wasn't this on Saturday Night Live as "Deep Thoughts with Jack Handey"?

thistly
04-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Dreams are certainly a fascinating topic :)
About 6 months ago I read about lucid dreaming, and tried it taking steps once in a dream to prevent myself waking up (making my dream self spin around, which supposedly prevents the automatic wake-up thing people have once they realise they're dreaming)
But it was horrible! I woke up and could open my eyes but could not move! I kept waking up then falling asleep again something like a dozen times before I could wake up properly...
So I guess I could break out of the sleeping state but my body remained paralysed due to a 'glitch' hehe
well yeah that's my weird dream experience anyway, hopefully relevant :)

LadyMedusa
04-18-2005, 09:36 AM
I used to have some pretty messed up dreams. Some o them makes you a little messed up aswell.. I think you'll get a little messed up, even if you have a good dream in the Twiglight Zone, for example.
I remember one, where I were picking roses, and doing some wierd stuff. I woke up, all confused, when I hurt myself on a torn. I think I spent almost all day looking for the torn in my hand. In other dreams, getting hurt, dident help waking me up tho'.

But I had some dreams that were still in the REM-stage that I remember. But then I woke up by outside events. Usually by my heartbeat or by my mom singing.

I read some hints about remembering the dreams, but I found only two that have worked for me sometimes... Pretending to dream on while waking up a little and saying "Tonight I shall dream, and when I wake up, I shall remember my dream"

Cherries symbolised the key to dreaming, maby they really makes you dream wierd, good dreams. I read somwhere that Bosch used cherries to dream like his paintings.

Ringlord111
04-18-2005, 07:46 PM
I also dream about every time I sleep, because I usually get a good nights rest. I think that some of you dont have dreams as often is because you dont get that. In my current psychology class, I remembered that you go into "sleep" mode after 2 hours of resting, which will kick in the dreams. Before the 2 hours is just resting, or napping. Second, I also almost always (thats three a's! lol) remember my dreams, which is pretty cool. I think that is majorly because I have photographic memory, and I also learn the best by seeing whatever it is Im learning, not reading or hearing. Third, I also have recently been able to control my dreams more and more, which is an awesome feeling, other than the part that you think of the worst possibility, and it happens sometimes...egh. Most of my dreams are realistic, even if Im somebody like Spiderman. I have some fantasy dreams, and I also have the get the girl dreams (come on, all guys get them). I dont take any specific pills, other than a vitamin pill in the morning (A to Zinc or something like that), Im 18 and I get around 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night, on average. Kind of strange for a college kid, but whatever. As a child I used to have mostly bad dreams, and night terrors (which suppost to go away after childhood, and are different from bad dreams by the way), and now I dont have them as much. Very few bad dreams actually. Ive heard that your dreams are of what you have been seeing or thinking about during that day (or however long its been since you slept), but I dont necessarily agree fully with that. Ive had some dreams where I didnt think about those things for a while, and they still arose in a dream (such as being spiderman, I had that dream like 3 nights in a row). Fun times. Good luck with your dreams. God bless.

Edit: Oh and I dont usually get inspired by my dreams, but occasionally...

eparts
04-18-2005, 10:08 PM
im not sure if its healthy, but i sleep very little. about 4-5 hours a day. this makes me to a quite tired person, and the first hours after ive got up is really a mix up with dreams and reality :D he,he
ehm. to me dreams arent any portal to some source of inspiration.. like flying out in macrocosmos etc. dreams to me is just a mix of memories that has happened lately and long ago, mixed with fantasies and imagination. i believe i daydream way as much as i dream, to make up for what i miss. ive gotten lots of inspiration by imagination though, which can remind a bit of dreams, because you think different and not bound to the laws of reality. art is a dream

ivanisavich
04-19-2005, 02:58 AM
Very intersting thread...here's some of my own additions

-The science behind dreaming is really cool....it's based on a few theories (which I will try my hardest to remember correctly from Psych class a while ago)....

Anyways, during the daytime (or when you are awake), your nervous/sensory system is constantly feeding your brain sensory input from your surroundings (ie, sight/sound/smell etc). There is a specific part of your brain (we'll call it part X because I forget the name of it...but if I remember it's called the hippocalymus or something like that that starts with an "h" ;)) that then translates the raw sensory data into meaningful data that you can interpret and understand (ie....unintelligible sensory information recieved from smell receptors, once translated, allows you to notice and identify the smell of a rose).

During the night, your body "shuts down" to repair/replenish its reserves, and so your external sensory systems (sight/smell etc) no longer relay information to your brain (the same way they do while you are awake).

But, your brain becomes very active during deep sleep, and it will begin to send its own random (relatively random) signals to part X (the part that translates sensory input). The "random" signals can be based on anything that the brain may be "recalling" (that is why dreams are often times so incredibly random or nonsensical)...and there is no real pattern to the data that gets sent to part X.

This is the interesting part---->part X will then translate the random signals as regular input and therefore the brain will function as if regular sensory input is being sent to it. In other words, your brain switches to nighttime-sensory override, and begins "listening" to whatever thoughts it may be conjuring up and begins treating them like it would treat real/I] sensory input (from your eyes, ears, nose, etc.). Dreams are therefore like a sort of mental "virtual reality", because the brain thinks it's recieving regular input when instead it's just recieving memories and thoughts.

Kinda cool sci-fi idea if you think about it....hmmm.....in the near future....scientists develop a way to externally send signals to part X (haha...I still can't remember what it's called) and therefore discover a way to [I]use our own bodies as the hardware for virtual reality software....and since our minds would interpret the signals as reality (because the artificial signals would bypass what is reality)...the interface (our consciousness....with a 1st person perspective similar to HL2 ;)) would already be set, because what we'd think we're hearing/seeing/smelling/touching would really just be whatever the software is telling our brains to think.

Anyways...I digress...

Dreams are also interesting because they make the incredibly illogical, logical. Have you ever awoken from a horribly terrifying and sweat-inducing nightmare only to realize that being chased by a giant felt-tipped pen isn't as scary as you thought it was while you were dreaming? Or have you ever awoken after the most amazing and fulfilling dream only to realize that playing on a jungle gym nude, wearing only a pair of skiis isn't as fun as you thought it was while asleep? (then again...lol)

Some of the craziest, scariest, funniest or most memorable dreams I've had have been based on some of the stupidest and most ridiculous ideas that one could possibly come up with. It's quite a let-down when I wake up sometimes, because the illusory (wonderful) feelings I get while I'm dreaming are almost always smashed to pieces when I awake and think: "sheesh...that was dumb".

But...one thing that I appreciate about dreams is that...while you're still asleep...the silly plot-lines and non-sensical situations work....in other words, dreams rely on their own logic (and not the logic of external reality).

No matter how stupid being chased by a giant permanent marker may sound in real life...there isn't a single horror movie in the world that can induce the same amount of terror in me that something like that (an evil pen) can induce while I'm asleep! These days, I can watch any horror movie you can throw at me without flinching...yet there are still some times that I wake up from a nightmare, sweating and frightened....and I freakin LOVE that feeling!

Anyways...it's late and I've got to go to bed ;)...peace.

Kamjar
04-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Also a question out too all you guys, have you ever had a very lucid dream of the end of the world? I have had some amazing exhilarating ones, which I find very inspiring. Nuclear bombs going off, seeing the mushroom cloud. Meteors and whole galaxy's falling out of the sky. Am I crazy?

When i was a kid, i often got sick. When i slept i had these really weird nightmares that returned many times, even years later.
I dreamt about the end of EVERYTHING, it was so weird that it cant be discribed with human words. It was like in another dimension.

I'll try and describe it a bit:

Well, just when the nightmare begins, i am in a very scary place, endless space made of mechanical elements. I think i was stuck at some thing there, together with my lil brother ( i think ).
Something undescribe-able is hapening that will end ALL THINGS! Its like one huge sphere that is getting bigger and bigger. At this point i am terrified and crying. There are two switches near me that i can reach, one of them will make the sphere stop, and one of them will kill us.

My brother keeps screaming to me to switch one of them, but i am too scared to do, but at the end when the sphere is too near i switch one, and wake up. I probably choose the wrong one :(

After several times having this nightmare, it gets new scenes everytime.
The last time i saw this dream was when i was 8 years old or so.

(3rd person perspective)

It begins with me and my schoolmates walking to/from school.
I can see myself from on a tree, suddenly i am in another scene, with a gras field full with flowers ( ? ), me and my bro are walking and playing there.
Then suddenly everything turns gray and brownish, and i am in the mechanical space again, then the stuff begins like the previous times!! :sad: :shrug:

LOL this may all sound very stupid, BUT ITS HORRIBLE, its undescribable.
I hope i get the same nightmare again one time, and hope i can remember it, maybe it has a meaning? :shrug:

Well, greetz Kam :(

thunderb
04-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Very interesting stuff.

Hey some cool info there Ivanisavich. One really interesting factor is, have you ever noticed that if you fall asleep in the afternoon or late morning, you can just hear things outside of your dream ( like you mentioned ) Like noises out side or a family member in the house but the really cool thing is if there's a load noise of some sort, all most instantaneously your brain can incorporate into the dream, like a rock falling or car crashing and change all events based on that one noise, almost like your are precognitive.

Hey Kamjar Fadai: Weird Dreams! One I always seemn too have like every 3 months really inspires me. Its an end of world event, something big happens in the sky, like an explosion of a star, or a planet has moved into our night sky. Then I find myself walking along a beach at dusk somewhere with hundreds of people gathered to watch the end of the world, its quite amazing and strangely exhilarating, then maybe meteors fall or galaxys appear and move. Weird huh.

JMcWilliams
04-21-2005, 12:26 AM
I remember when i was a kid having a lot of dreams where I would be swinging on ropes, so fast and high that I felt that weird (and uncomfortable) feeling in my stomach like being on a rollercoaster, or jumping down stairs. also many other recurring dreams that come to me from time to time.

I used to sleep walk sometimes when i was a kid too, my mum was really worried that I might go walking out the house! :D but thats long stopped now. I had some great dreams that helped inspire me thats for sure, some scary ones too. In fact I remember one in particular that I kept getting that was basically me and my family barricaded in our house and loads of aliens (from the film Alien, a xenomorpth) running around outside, scared the bejeesus out of me!

Kamjar
04-21-2005, 05:34 AM
haha freaky shit

another time i got the weirdest and the most stupid dream ever!

Someone put me in a canon, like those in a circus. And shoots me away. When i am flying it feels like everything in my life is lost, and i will be flying UPSIDE DOWN forever. :eek:

dunno why, but this dream was F*CKING SCARY! :shrug:

Enayla
04-21-2005, 07:43 AM
I dream a lot. Either fantastic and ridiculous dreams including friends and family – lastly of my friends and I having moved to an exotic island, where we slaughtered and ate people (well, they did, I insisted that I’m a vegetarian). These dreams aren’t inspirational, they’re just fun to tell my friends about and laugh when they roll their eyes at how my dream-self imagines them. The other kind of dreams though are harder to remember but often find their way into my paintings one way or the other (they’re beautiful: either frightening or freeing, often nightmares or nightmarish but sometimes with happy endings). I only dream when I sleep for more than a couple of hours, though – which means very frequently during some periods, and not at all for other weeks.

My freakiest dreams, though, are what I refer to as ‘waking dreams’. I’m curious if anyone else with an over-active imagination has them. These dreams are dreams that will linger after you wake up. You’ll see your room perfectly clear but there will be something else in the room with you, something lingering from the dream realm. Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve seen huge, hand-sized (or larger) spiders scuttling up the walls. So realistic that I’ve often forced myself to lift the paintings they ‘hid’ under off the wall, or check under the bed. I can see someone standing next to my bed, staring at me, or perhaps the closet’s door creaking open and something stepping out. These dreams are insanely realistic and there’s no ‘shift’ between the dream and waking up fully. I’ve since found out that I’m not alone in having this problem (aside from it actually running in the family): in fact, there’s even a name for it even if I can’t quite recall it at the moment.

Does anyone else have this? Or am I alone in my freakiness :D

StealthPharaoh
04-21-2005, 10:17 AM
i used to get dreams all the time when i was younger..when i was a kid i had a wierd dream that i would see many times and everytime i wake up i find myself in another room or on the floor..it was freaky i don't get it anymore though which is good..lol

lately i'm not getting much dreams anymore though because i don't sleep much and i sleep very very late..like 6-7am is my normal bed time...not kidding and when i sleep i'm so tired that my brain totaly shuts down or something..lol..then when i wake up i'm so tired i barely remember anything

but when i used to sleep normal i usually could remember my dreams when i wake up withought a problem..and i remembered details too

but what i've been doing latley is getting dreams whenever i feel like it..what i do is that i just lay down on bed and play certain ambient music with a certain vloume (steve roach or robert rich)
i then start to feel half asleep half awake..i'm sleeping and resting but my brain is kinda awake..i see things but kinda aware of what i see..sometimes i feel my whole body is in another place and my eyes open then close again..i can't really describe that feeling..but it's something amazing that is almost a hobby now..lol

JMcWilliams
04-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Enayla:I think i've only once ever had anything like that. When I was really young I 'woke up' and there was a skellington outside my window so I ran into my parents room and they were skellingtons too! It felt real, but to be honest I'm not really sure if I actually did wake up or not.

I think it is quite common though. And I wonder if this sort of thing can sometimes convince people that they have seen a ghost or something supernatural. I know that a lot of ghost 'sightings' and alien abductions happen when people wake up in the night.

Enayla
04-21-2005, 10:30 AM
JMcWilliams - I think 'waking dreams', or whatever one might want to call them, are the reason to a lot of ghost sightings, yes (not to belittle anyone's beliefs, I did not say 'all', I said a 'lot'). I once woke up in my parents' house to find a woman standing by my bed. She sort of... swept backwards and out the door when I looked at her - it was such a freaky thing... I thought my heart would hammer its way out of my chest. Having had similar dreams for many years doesn't mean I don't get freaked out, heh.

It's a little like having hallucinations due to heightened temperature. Feverish, yet not. It's weird.

Kamjar
04-22-2005, 04:35 AM
enayla, have you been abducted by aliens once? that would explain the creatures around ur bed, and offcourse your unhuman talents, hehehe :eek: :)

rebuilder
04-22-2005, 05:24 AM
Enayla: I once had a nightmare that didn't end when I woke up. No visuals, just this sound without sound if you will, and odd sensations. The nightmare was pretty silly, I had to push big square blocks around and fight a pillowfight with a giant (I turned into a giant myself then) to save the world, and each pillowblow made an ear-shattering noise. I woke up, and it felt like a thousand people screaming in my head, silently (did I fail?), and I felt this tingling in my fingertips. If I put my index finger to my thumb, it felt like there was something small and hard rolling between them. Later I noticed that it was exactly like how rolling a small piece of dried-up clay between my fingers feels. The sensation still creeps me out.

From time to time I get other things too, most often when I'm tired. Sometimes I "sense" objects, not in physical space but in my head rather, primitives, cylinders and cubes etc. that are at the same time impossibly large and minute, and they fill me with this sense of dread that I can't push away even though I don't know what I'm afraid of. The only thing to do then is wait.

INFINITE
04-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Hey Rebuilder: I have been waiting for someone to share that kind of dream.

From time to time I get other things too, most often when I'm tired. Sometimes I "sense" objects, not in physical space but in my head rather, primitives, cylinders and cubes etc. that are at the same time impossibly large and minute, and they fill me with this sense of dread that I can't push away even though I don't know what I'm afraid of. The only thing to do then is wait.

That sounds like a night terror to me. I used too have them all the time when I was younger. They were very scary but the content of the dreams was just shapes and sizes, in the dream there was alot of white noise which hurt my ears and I had a sensation of touching shaved skin which filled me with dread, very bizarre. ALso the wall around me in the dream would stretch and squash which for some reason I found scary? Anyone else experience night terrors?

jmBoekestein
04-22-2005, 07:19 PM
My freakiest dreams, though, are what I refer to as ‘waking dreams’. I’m curious if anyone else with an over-active imagination has them. These dreams are dreams that will linger after you wake up. You’ll see your room perfectly clear but there will be something else in the room with you, something lingering from the dream realm. Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve seen huge, hand-sized (or larger) spiders scuttling up the walls. So realistic that I’ve often forced myself to lift the paintings they ‘hid’ under off the wall, or check under the bed. I can see someone standing next to my bed, staring at me, or perhaps the closet’s door creaking open and something stepping out. These dreams are insanely realistic and there’s no ‘shift’ between the dream and waking up fully. I’ve since found out that I’m not alone in having this problem (aside from it actually running in the family): in fact, there’s even a name for it even if I can’t quite recall it at the moment.

Does anyone else have this? Or am I alone in my freakiness :D

I think that it's rare and I'm banking that thescientific name for it will end up in the books just like RSI which now has several varieties and is no longer referred to as RSI. Some more obscure studies have shown that people will secrete certain subsatnces in their brain along with paranormal activity and "abnormal" activity, these substacnes can make you hallucinate. Allthough people within a family, I darenot say it, will often acknowledge eachothers stories just to make them feel better. It can't all be trusted. But needless to say I'm not saying anything about your family or the aliens that supposedly abducted you. :rolleyes:Allthough some things do seem to be passed on genetically other things "skip" a generation, I'd say the nature of the form will always have more weight. But as an answer, I'll just put down one of my dreams besides the nightmares.

Here goes, I happen to have a vivid imagination too, but mine seems to be more contained in the way that I don't suffer from daytime hallucinations. Besides that I suffer from weird experiences and dreams that forebode what WILL happen. And they're exceptionally brilliant at times. For illustration.
I once took a good dose of Hawaiian magic mushrooms alone in my room. These things have a slightly halucinogenic effect.
After a while they started to kick in and a weird array of spiral shaped thoughts(I say thoughts because they didn't have a imaginary form yet) started playing around me. Soon after the whole thing kicked in and I found myself in a spiral consisting of pyramids and cubes that wildly changed shape and orientation. On their surface I could clearly see what looked like moving images. The experience was so startling and scary and alive that I remember it quite closely tofay. Turns out that I was looking at an assembly of important turning points in my life. And these events, when they happen, I can almost exactly know what will happen next. Because I've seen it allready. This has happened at several occasions to me and is quite lucid. Needless to say this has raised some very interesting questions for me. Who 's in charge here? Do I make these choices myself. But I've been under the impression that they are almost like reassurances of things I really want to do. They are there for me, and not just randomly.

But as I said mine are far more controlled and of a "supernatural"(meaning they could ne induced by meditation or drugs) kind.

But I would like to add that I was under the firm impression that, after my grandfather had died he came to visit me and say good bye and give me a good hug. But I was very young and didn't quite understand the severity of death. So it was quite fun and warm and normal to me. Hop this doesn't make me a social outcast now.:sad:

edit: I'll probably edit this post, I found that reading back has brought some indiscrpeancies to my underlying patterns of madness. Don't worry about it, you're not mad I am.:thumbsup:

Tombed
04-22-2005, 07:42 PM
My freakiest dreams, though, are what I refer to as ‘waking dreams’.

Isnt this called lucid dreaming? I know schitzophrenia is supposed to be like a waking dream,where reality and dream are indistinuishable. Sleep deprivation can result in psychosis where your brain starts dreaming when you are awake, but you are unable to distinguish the dream elements from reality.

In fact lack of sleep triggers anxiety and depression which can turn a waking dream into a nightmare. The more nightmarish it gets the more convincing it becomes. I've had this after too much working on the computer:eek: . In fact I'm sure computers act as a potent stimulant that allow you to sleep deprive to an enormous degree. Real instruments of torture actually ;)

rebuilder
04-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Infinite: I looked up night terrors just recently but it didn't really match up. I get a couple of the symptoms, but no sweating or raised pulse or anything. It's not unbearable, just uncomfortable. If I concentrate I can keep it in check better, but if I don't and go with it it still doesn't become truly horrible. But then in my nightmares I rarely feel fear anyway. In my dreams, the more dangerous events get, the more detached I become. Also the state I described before besieges me before I go to sleep, not really after I've woken up. Sounds sometimes trigger it, certain kinds of repetitive rhythms most often. Everything I hear seems to slow down and I get a tunnelvision-like effect. I can still function normally, more or less, but I have to focus on keeping the discomfort at bay.

In my case the most likely cause would probably be epilepsy. I was diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy at age 7, but I haven't had to take medication for maybe 10 years. It was never very serious, I only had a few attacks. But I suppose these might be mild attacks, they occur when I'm tired and that's when the risk of an attack is highest apparently.

And another thing about what Enayla describes, it does sound rather like sleep paralysis, except without the paralysis part. Not the first time I've heard of it, so I guess you're not alone Enayla.

GOTgraphic
04-22-2005, 11:01 PM
I've had several dreams where after I woke up everything still seemed (felt like) it was the dream... even though nothing looked like it. In fact I've had several of those types where the whole day long it felt like the dream. I really don't like those dreams, because I can't figure out whats going on and why its like that.

When I was a kid I used to day-dream a lot... and even at school... hah hah. I remember it quite well. I was never that good at sports, so I was always left sitting on the bike-racks when all the other kids were playing. I recall many times that either the teacher or other kids were calling and yelling at me to get my attention... and I had been daydreaming and completely unaware of what was going on (most of the time I would be dreaming/imagining Godzilla smashing cities :bounce: ). One time the teacher was calling me and started walking towards me getting louder and louder, till she was right in front of me... and I snapped out of it. That was the last time it happened (2nd grade I think)... because all the kids laughed at me, so I made sure it didn't happen again.

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2005, 11:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.