PDA

View Full Version : 2 MINUTE FILMMAKING CHALLENGE TOPICS

RobertoOrtiz
04-14-2005, 02:53 PM
I am posting this to test the waters.

Kinda like mini movies (1-2 minutes) that are used to explore one specific concept.
A fight, a conversation, a car chas etc?

What do you guys thinK?

-R

igorsandman
04-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Hi Roberto,
That would be a great concept. Yet, making this kind of stuff can be time consuming and I'm not sure there are gonna be a lot of entries in such a contest. I would give it a try as far as I am concerned.
It's a bit off topic, but why not a script writing contest also. I mean something independant to the filmmaking contest. Like weekly or bi-monthly with an imposed theme. That's just a thought.
Regards.
-IS-

ivanisavich
04-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah I'd definitely be down for monthly filmmaking challenges!

...and if they get a front page plug I'm sure they could enough entries/publicity.

bbKixx
04-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Sign me up....but it should most diff be under 2 min. I have been working on a 4 and half minute short now for over 3 months....straight video with no fancy fx's. So any longer then 2 minutes might be really hard to complete in a months time.

Hope it happens,
bbkixx

MadMax
04-15-2005, 03:32 AM
Sign me up....but it should most diff be under 2 min. I have been working on a 4 and half minute short now for over 3 months....straight video with no fancy fx's. So any longer then 2 minutes might be really hard to complete in a months time.

Hope it happens,
bbkixx

You're kidding right?

we shot a 7.5 minute short last August that included more than a dozen locations along PCH on a Saturday afternoon.

Now we are talking a whole month here?? piece of cake.

Propictales
04-15-2005, 07:12 AM
Depending on the time I've got, I would be in for one or another...

But, unlike a 2D oder 3D-Challenge, making a short requires a team. That would be the main reason to have few entries, I think. Having time and having the team having time at the same time... (wow, what a sentence...)

bbKixx
04-15-2005, 04:23 PM
You're kidding right?

we shot a 7.5 minute short last August that included more than a dozen locations along PCH on a Saturday afternoon.

Now we are talking a whole month here?? piece of cake.

Yea it only took a day to shoot.....but editing and working in the audio, as well as working with a composer to write a score for it. Takes alot of time, and time is hard to come by when you work full time.

bbkixx

Trojan123
04-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Just as long as you include DV. I don't have a film camera.

SB

RobertoOrtiz
04-15-2005, 05:15 PM
I am from the Robert Rogriguez school of tought.
Faster & cheaper.

The idea is to use cameras of all types,

from a Canon Powershot Elf (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001G6U5W/qid=1113585073/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/104-7348500-4240711?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846) $319.88
(I kid you not, you can make decent web movies with this camera).

to the Canon XL2 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002OJYDS/qid=1113585154/sr=8-9/ref=sr_8__i9_xgl23/104-7348500-4240711?v=glance&s=photo&n=1000) $6,000

Hell if you want to use film (and have the money) do it.

The idea is to learn the fundamentals for filmaking.

Setting up a scene, a shot & composition.

-R

MadMax
04-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Yea it only took a day to shoot.....but editing and working in the audio, as well as working with a composer to write a score for it. Takes alot of time, and time is hard to come by when you work full time.

bbkixx

I guess that depends on how serious you are about filmmaking.

there are a number of local groups here in Los Angeles that have film competitions that are as short as 48 hours. and there are a few that are a month.

I mean lets get serious here, we are not talking about going to Cannes. it's CGTalk. (sorry Robert no offense meant to CGTalk)

And unless you are a complete noob and don't know your software, editing an hours worth of tape down to 2-7 minutes isn't exactly a time consuming process.

Also short films are not exactly well know for having massive special effects shots, so for most that is not likely to be an issue either.

as for music, again, it's CGTalk. There is no Oscar or Emmy for it. There are plenty of sources for free music.

Now if you plan to do something really intense like the Batman: Dead End film or one of the couple of Superman shorts that came out last year, yeah, you are going to take more than a month if you are splitting time with a day job.

there is no reason that 30 days isn't a completely reasonable contest period.

Shadow_545
04-16-2005, 05:53 AM
I would say don't even make it a complicated full story film contest thing. Just have a short 2 minute film. Maybe even make it where for the contest you are given a short script (2-3 pages or something) and whoever makes the film in the best and most interesting way (lighting, acting, camera angles..etc.) wins?

Anyways, definitely interesting to me, I always drool over the 3d/2d challenges, but then thats not my area so I would never win (reality sucks), so this would be something I (and others like me) compete in and have a chance...

MadMax
04-16-2005, 06:04 AM
why would you want to give everyone the same script??? how boring.

Specify a theme, great. Same script, ugh. Good luck finding people wanting to enter.

igorsandman
04-16-2005, 10:40 AM

I second that, Sorry Shadow_545. I also think the idea of a specific theme is better. And if you're not self-confident when it comes to script writting (even for a 2 minutes long script), you still can find some writer to do it for you.
Bye.
-IS-

Shadow_545
04-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Ahh well I thought the point of the contest was to see who could make a better 1-2 minute scene (I guess I was wrong), not contest on script writing... I would normally think having the same script was boring too, but if everyone did something completely different it would be hard to determine who made the film better. I do like the Idea of a theme (it was late last night and I didn't think of that for some reason)

btw don't worry Igor Sandman I can write my own scripts, however thanks for your concern ;)

bbKixx
04-16-2005, 05:31 PM

Specify a theme, great. Same script, ugh. Good luck finding people wanting to enter.

You're kidding right?

I guess that depends on how serious you are about filmmaking.

Hey madmax why are you being so pushy. PPl are just trying to brainstorm this idea and talk things over. Why are you so threatend by other peoples ideas on this matter? Would you be happier if we said "hey madmax tell us exactly what you want, so we dont have to worry about upsetting your baby ass with our suggestions."

bbkixx

MadMax
04-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Hey madmax why are you being so pushy. PPl are just trying to brainstorm this idea and talk things over. Why are you so threatend by other peoples ideas on this matter? Would you be happier if we said "hey madmax tell us exactly what you want, so we dont have to worry about upsetting your baby ass with our suggestions."

So far I have seen people go "a month is too long", "keep it only two minutes", "give everyone the same script"

EVERYTHING I have said so far tends to lean towards being open about any competition and not put limitations on it that would stifle interest or creativity.

The art challenges here provide a theme, not the specific content. They don't tell you that everyone has to draw Spider-Man and we'll see who draws it best. I wonder why?

What gives you the right to make unprovoked personal attacks on someone for not agreeing with your ideas or making suggestions based on proven methods used by real film contests?

Sounds to me like you are the one who feels threatened. And judging from your childish replies and name calling, I doubt you have much to offer anyway.

MadMax
04-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Ahh well I thought the point of the contest was to see who could make a better 1-2 minute scene (I guess I was wrong)

It would be the film equivalent of "Draw the pirate" from those old Art Instruction school ads.

Do you really want to see 2 dozen people making the exact same short, same script over and over? You'd be bored before you got through them all.

At least with a theme, you can see people doing whatever they want within that theme, not just rehash after rehash.

Captain Spalding
04-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Hey guys,
I was glad to see that someone finally offered up a monthly short contest. Good idea! After reading the posts and responses I decided to put my two cents into the pile.
Putting a time limit on the short is a great idea. This creates time constraints for the shorts directors, and may cause them the grief of leaving descent shots on the floor of the editing room. The practice of balancing time and creativity is an art form that is overlooked by many of the newcomers. Also, adding a generic script is practice that will ultimately make perfect. In today's world, Hollywood is looking for outrageous directors that can conform to a general idea. This contest would simulate the feel of bidding for a film. Many directors are contacted to possibly work on today's films. The director with the most cunning of ideas, and artistic talent to complete a project is ultimately awarded the grand prize of work (remebering that some directors are not that artistically talented, i.e. Rob Riener) .
I feel that MadMax is wrong when he says that this contest would be boring if it were to be regulated to work on one script (atleast this is what I took from his responses). I feel that it would be exactly the opposite. I would very much be eager to see how so many diffrent minds interpet a single piece of work. The outcome would be many talented people, all diverse, with a general goal. Working to convey an idea. All of the entries would be unique, regardless of how repetitive.

J.J.Martin
04-17-2005, 06:40 AM
Hello, I'm a first timer. Infact this is my 1st post, very nice place you got here! I personally support this idea beyond imagination. My personal belief is that it would be a healthy and character building experience. Hold a challenge and they will come.

:thumbsup:

MadMax
04-17-2005, 09:26 PM
I'd suggest looking at what real short film festivals are doing for an idea of general structure.

Or submission guidlines for iFilm, or Atomfilms and other online short film sources.

Also you might want to check out the 48 hour film challenge and LA101 to see what their criteria is for short film entries is before saying someone is wrong or resorting to personal attacks and name calling.

The suggestions being made so far sound more like film school assignments, not a short film competition. And just curious, since it was said here, of what positive benefit is this at all???

Putting a time limit on the short is a great idea. This creates time constraints for the shorts directors, and may cause them the grief of leaving descent shots on the floor of the editing room. The practice of balancing time and creativity is an art form that is overlooked by many of the newcomers.

Causing someone to have to leave out good material to fit a time restriction. Causing them grief you said. There is absolutely nothing productive in that at all. Again, I can see it if this were a film class assignment. If it were, then I would be in agreement that this teaches something of use. However the premise was a short film competition.

This contest would simulate the feel of bidding for a film.

Considering this is not the method directors are hired for a film, it serves no useful purpose. Again, this sounds more like Film school assignments than a short film contest.

You want to have a different opinion that's fine. I made my coments based on how the majority of short competitions are done. That doesn't make me wrong or you right.

scotttygett
04-18-2005, 06:42 AM
www.group101films.com (http://www.group101films.com) and another group called "Shorties" though I couldn't say where exactly, both have monthly contests for six months. You forget to file your taxes, or pick the kids up from school, completely involving. They have a technical parameter that is either something useful to learn or an arbitrary element to prevent burning out on the possible, and a theme, like "supernatural" or "hand," etc.

UCLA's film school had a design class where three themes were picked, and the instructor was careful to prevent certain kinds of words from being included, though I don't particularly recall the logic there. I think "Red" and Hate," stuff like that. One film for each word, ten weeks.

UCLA's Animation Workshop had a once-a-year party called "Falling Lizard" where a group of (alum and) students would gather for three days and make something. The faculty had a hand in the structure. Once excerpts from Shakespeare were pulled from a hat, another year, everyone worked from the same 30 second clip of soundtrack, another year, we had to begin and end on the same image BECAUSE they were all edited together at the end, natch.

ANIJAM, I think, of the Animation Expo, and ANIMATION MARATHON from Animation Celebration/Animation Magazine, I haven't participated in.

48 hour film festivals where you have to include an onion and a line from a poem and some such thing -- I met a guy the other day who was VERY into winning this and knowing the scheduled date, arranged/begged-for studio space and all kinds of favors and had twelve extra's, a composer and complete crew...

There are actually more of these 48 Hour film things -- I include the animation ones, because I'm more familiar with them, and this is CGTalk. www.flashfilmworks.com (http://www.flashfilmworks.com) I think started one of them.

Those of you who want to make a feature in a weekend I admire the most. 200 shots, 100 minutes, you use a script written by some madman like me that is my revenge on "Joan of Arcadia" and which is completely unverifiably TRUE TO EVERYTHING.

It's possible because one camera can shoot a bad Shakespeare performance in about four hours with blocking or two hours real time. IT'S SO WRONG to be allowed to shoot someone else's plays, I did it a bunch of times. "FILMMAKING FOR DUMMIES" (Wiley Books) is by a guy who would get a couple of aspiring actors together and shoot a 60 minute detective show in a fairly crazy time frame. I saw something he shot of a young Howie Mandel that was pretty good.

Of course, you gotta have a master list of "all the tricks" because ou're going to need every one of them.

And it has to be true.

DorkmanScott
04-18-2005, 08:25 PM
It would be the film equivalent of "Draw the pirate" from those old Art Instruction school ads.

Do you really want to see 2 dozen people making the exact same short, same script over and over? You'd be bored before you got through them all.

At least with a theme, you can see people doing whatever they want within that theme, not just rehash after rehash.

The Project Greenlight directors' contest involved making a short film from the same script. Location and situation were unspecified, the director had to figure out how to shoot it, what the lines of dialogue (such as "Tell me what you think of that") were talking about, etc. The entries were wildly different. Of the three finalist directors this season, one did a group of sorority girls torturing a frat guy, one did a guy plotting to kill his downstairs neighbor, and one did a dentist.

Personally I'd rather do it that way, since this would be a filmmaking contest and not a scriptwriting contest. I think it's just as interesting, if not moreso, to see the different ideas people can come up with within the boundaries of the script. Creativity is about what you can do within limitations, not when you have carte blanche.

M. Scott

Shadow_545
04-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Thank you Drokman, I think you finally said what I tried to say previously.

*Edit* btw madmax, I feel some hostility coming from you, when none is needed. I was just trying to throw out an idea, I'm not forcing anyone to do it my way, its just one way I feel it would be interesting, but there are of course dozens of other ways to go. You don't have to keep qouteing me and my idea and basically making it out like I'm a moron for even suggesting it. Lets brainstorm and decide the final structure of the contest later...

igorsandman
04-19-2005, 10:33 AM
The Project Greenlight directors' contest involved making a short film from the same script. Location and situation were unspecified, the director had to figure out how to shoot it, what the lines of dialogue (such as "Tell me what you think of that") were talking about, etc. The entries were wildly different. Of the three finalist directors this season, one did a group of sorority girls torturing a frat guy, one did a guy plotting to kill his downstairs neighbor, and one did a dentist.

I don't know much about how the project greenlight goes, but how could they start with the same script and end up with such different shorts?
If the script is written a certain way to allow creativity, we would need a good writer who could write that for us.
I think as Roberto proposed it at first, the goal was to focus on one scene of an imaginary film such as a car chase or a fight to use his own examples. That wouldn't require any script at all and that would focus on the way you shoot. That could be interresting. As far as I am concerned, I prefer to write a script and direct it, but as the goal here is filmmaking, Roberto's proposition would be a good choice, IMHO.
Regards.
-IS-

RobertoOrtiz
04-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Thank all for the replies.
My idea is simple as hell.
A topic would be picked from a topic list posted by the group, for example:
"Air", "The Fight".

And you would have a month to do something with it.
My only requirement is that you need to post a storyboard (even a crude one)
and a shot list, BEFORE you film anything. If you want to add FX, no problem, go ahead.

The idea is to have fun and learn.

-R

igorsandman
04-19-2005, 04:27 PM
My only requirement is that you need to post a storyboard (even a crude one)
and a shot list, BEFORE you film anything. If you want to add FX, no problem, go ahead.

Could you explain a little bit what you mean, Roberto? Why would it be required? For those like me who never work with a storyboard, wouldn't it be enough to post a detailed description of the shots?
Thanks.
-IS-

RobertoOrtiz
04-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Yes a detailed description would work. What I would like to see is some PRE PLANNING before shooting.

-R

scotttygett
04-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Using the www.group101films.com (http://www.group101films.com) example, we were supposed to have the script done by the first week, though that's a tall order somtimes.

If I understand you, Roberto, you're saying if there isn't a script by the first week deadline, you're not in.

When the deadline came, we were all supposed to gather at a house with something, even if it fell flat or was left uneditied. AND it was expected to be a complete film with a beginning, middle and end: begins like a movie, goes somewhere, doesn't just mysteriously stop, hopefully ending like a Shakespeare sonnet or punch line.

(I like non-narrative, but you can be non-narrative and still have a line of logic.)

One other note I would make: if you have a larger project you want to do, find some way of squeezing the "theme" to fit it. I had one theme "Reverse" where I had a car driving in reverse.

My other suggestion would be to buy a $20 electret mike from Radio Shack to plug into the camera for those shooting live action sound.

One other thing I'm wondering about is where you want to load these to? lwg3d? triggerstreet?

RobertoOrtiz
04-19-2005, 09:50 PM
The way i see it, you all are adults.
There is only ONE dateline, you stick with it.
As long as you deliver the required materials by the dateline, you are kosher.

-R

J.J.Martin
04-19-2005, 10:37 PM
So, when are we starting! :eek: I'm so ready.

RobertoOrtiz
04-20-2005, 04:31 AM
Give me some time, I wanted to first test the waters.

-R

DorkmanScott
04-20-2005, 07:35 AM
I don't know much about how the project greenlight goes, but how could they start with the same script and end up with such different shorts?
If the script is written a certain way to allow creativity, we would need a good writer who could write that for us.

It's not that hard. Like I said, the script looked like this:

CHARACTER ONE indicates something.
CHARACTER ONE
Tell me what you think of that.

CHARACTER TWO
What am I supposed to say?

CHARACTER ONE
It's just an opinion.

CHARACTER TWO
I think [insert appropriate opinion].

CHARACTER ONE reacts.

That's not verbatim but it's basically it.

M. Scott

ZaKKoS
04-25-2005, 05:12 PM
well this is just my opinion:

I think that this idea is really good. For the script i think that there is a "middle-point" between a script and a theme.
I don't like both. Script: too tight; Theme: too loose.
I mean: with a script you can do little on the creative part (only select the cinematography and the point of view but not always) and with a theme you can do everything and then say that the short is concerning the theme but it's "conceptual":rolleyes: (i saw a lot of this type of short: nothing to say about them except that most of them are rubbish).

This point between a script and a theme in Italy is called "subject" (i don't know if you call it the same). As I'm not able to write in good plain english :shrug:I make some examples, please be patient with me! :)

- A boy and a girl are in love, but they must keep their relation secret.

Already heard? well it's "Romeo and Juliet" but it can be a lot of other stories
- A criminal, behind the promise of the freedom, is instructed to recover a man who can save the world from the destruction.

It's "Escape from New York" but if you say that the criminal must travel through time voilā you have "Twelve Monkeys"

- During a scientific mission a group of scientist enters in contact with an unknown alien race.

John Carpenter's "the thing" but if you decide to place it in space you have "Alien"

With a "subject" you have the general idea but you are still free to manipulate it (place, time, STYLE, dialogues, etc). More than a theme, less than a script.
With this solution Roberto (or who will do it) can still add to the given subject particulars like a specific line to say or a scenographic element (or nothing). Ppl can decide accordingly to make different styles ("I make it sci-fi" - "then i will make it spaghetti western style") like Raymond Queneau's Exercises in Style (well I love exercises in style but they have a more strict "subject").

If I've made language mistakes please let me know it will help me.

Velk
04-25-2005, 05:39 PM
I think that this is a fantastic idea Roberto, and I would be into doing it from time to time. I have to agree with bbKixx though stick with a concept like the daily sketches but don't specify a script that must be followed by everyone.

Trojan123
04-26-2005, 01:24 AM
If it were me, I would just have a theme.

EX: This month will be EARTHQUAKE theme. Each contestant makes a short film with their own portrayal of an earthquake. The next month would be Magic Carpet Ride.

Just my $.02

SB

Velk
04-26-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm really liking the direction that you suggested ZaKKoS, I like the fact that there is no hard script which means similar timings and the exact same story I also like the slightly tighter concept of your subject than the looseness of something like "alien attack". The trick would be in keeping the subject loose enough to allow creativity though different tracks of thought and style.

RobertoOrtiz
04-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Guys I really like the ideas I am reading from this thread..

But I have one question, how do you feel about a one month timeframe?

-R

Velk
04-26-2005, 07:24 PM
I think that one month is a good place to start; if everyone seems to have trouble with the deadline than maybe 45-60 days would be a better timeframe. I do think that as the time frame gets longer the amount of deliverables should also increase.

For me I'm estimating that a 1-2 minute piece will require 20-40 minutes of footage which will take 1-4 days to shoot. Add to that 7 days of pre-pro and 10 days for post/scoring and I come up with around 21 days worth of stuff. I'm pretty busy so these are not full production days by any stretch of the imagination.

ZaKKoS
04-26-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm really liking the direction that you suggested ZaKKoS

Thanks Velk.

I agree that a month is enough as long as we accept compromises. I mean that we have to sacrifice certain aspect like, i don't know... music, perfect editing or color correction, acting skills:twisted:, lights. Remember that is still a free time project (well not for everyone maybe), and that not everyone has the proper materials. But generally this is endemic in the spirit of a challenge, here in my town we have a "moviemaking race" you have to make a whole 5 minutes short in 50h. script, shoot, music and editing. obiouvsly the results are not "blockbuster movies" but who see and judge them knows the limits. In the end i say go for the one month deadline.
No one will put us in prison if we decide to lengthen the deadline right?

RobertoOrtiz
04-26-2005, 10:39 PM
One thing that I would love to see, are all kind of entries.

I dont want to see this become a boring affair.

I would love to see entries of all kinds.
From a micro dramas, to an action pieces and even a scifi pieces.

the question is, should I push particular genere for a given topic, or leave it open?

-R

PS And before people say that one month is too short to do an FX mini movie, check this short by masterZap done in TWO WEEKS.

QUICKTIME (http://people.lysator.liu.se/zap/volcano/masterzap_fxwars_720x400.mov)
DIVX (http://people.lysator.liu.se/zap/volcano/masterzap_fxwars_720x400.avi)

or this one done by L'explorateur :

Divx - 640*480 -
http://airfantasia.free.fr/cgtalk/explorateur.avi (25 Mo)

Quicktime - 640*480 -
http://airfantasia.free.fr/cgtalk/explorateur2.mov (123 Mo)

Trojan123
04-27-2005, 03:30 AM
Guys I really like the ideas I am reading from this thread..

But I have one question, how do you feel about a one month timeframe?

-R

Counter question: how long is the entry / deadline for an FX challenge? One of the 3D contest where a quicktime video is submitted?

Granted, you don't have to model everything in a film / video contest, but still, work needs to be done.

SB

Trojan123
04-27-2005, 03:32 AM
What about music? Could we at least "borrow" from an existing movie soundtrack?

Resources for sound FX?

SB

igorsandman
04-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Hey,
I think one month is perfect and the genre should be open IMO. The more you leave room to imagination, the more original the films will be.

Sillver Bullit, you can find a lot of royalty free music on the web. There plenty of net label under the creative common licence.

Bye.
-IS-

PeterPuppet
04-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Hey guys, El Mariachi was shot in a two weeks and itīs a 70 minutes long. In 30 days you can shoot a feature with ease and we are talking about short-movies. So where is the problem? I agree with Igor on the topic. Letīs do it! Maybe we get some professional filmmakers drop by if weīre creative enough...

peace, pete

RobertoOrtiz
04-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Some cathegories for awards that I had in mind are:

Best Overall Entry
Best Entry under 5 min
Best Entry over 5 min
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Screenplay (if any, the stories might be silent)
Best VFX (if any))
-R

Velk
04-27-2005, 02:50 PM
:argh: 5 minutes? Last I heard was 1-2 minutes.

I like the idea of not specifying a genre but rather a topic. I think it might be really interesting to see how people might approach a concept like "Two people fall in love on the eve of disaster" in terms of both story and genre. Someone might do a 'documentary' about Pompae, someone else an alien attack on earth in 2055, and yet another person might make a romantic night before the wedding comedy.

ZaKKoS
04-27-2005, 02:57 PM
best script/story
best directing
best original music (if any)

honor mentions (at your pleasure)

question: what is the meaning for "screenplay" i thought it was a synonym for "script" (more or less)

ZaKKoS
04-27-2005, 03:05 PM
I agree with velk...free genre. You could be surprised of what one can think (urban western, noir, propaganda, sexy comedy, 50s sci-fi...). Maybe we can make an updatable list of genres so if someone don't have inspiration can take a look.

PeterPuppet
04-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Roberto: Yep, Iīd take those.

Velk: Itīs not exactly 5 min, but under 5 min. 1-2 are in that category. :)

ZakkoS: best script/story=best screenplay,
best directing=best cinematography. :)

I wouldnīt give any award for music or sound. Cīmon guys, letīs do this!

peace, pete

Velk
04-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Pete I was refering to the over 5 category :) and anyway I was just playing around, its actually easier to tell a good story with a little looser time frame (if your confused just remember the Under 5 second movies that Cadillac sponsered). I agree let do it!

ZaKKoS
04-27-2005, 03:23 PM
ZakkoS: best script/story=best screenplay,

so what's the meaning of
"Best Screenplay (if any, the stories might be silent)"
even with silent films a script is required

best directing=best cinematography. :)

maybe is just a language problem but i disagree with that

cinematography is what a d.o.p. do (lights, camera settings, etc)
directing is what a director do (select the pov, supervising actors job, etc)

RobertoOrtiz
04-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Point made...

How about:
Best Directing
Best Cinematography

-R

Velk
04-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Sounds good to me.

igorsandman
04-27-2005, 05:16 PM
One difficulty surprised me as I was making my first film. It's directing actors. It's incredible how you can obtain a bad performance from a good actor. I think we should have a category for that.
Also maybe it would be wise to have two seperate categories for sfx: one for "on set" effects (such as gore effects, explosions...) and one for digital effects.
There is one thing we must consider though. What if there is only one single film with say digital effects? It will win by default. Does it make sense to have that category in that case?
Maybe we could group the categories in order to have something like:
Main Awards
- Film of the Month
- Best Script (whether it's silent or not shouldn't be a problem, there is still a story)
- Best Direction of Actors
- Best Photography
- Best Editing
(- Best Camera Work... not sure about this one)

Special Mention
- Best Digital Effects
- Best On set special Effects
- Best Original Music
- Funniest Film
- Most Poetic Film
- And so on and so forth
We could find a lot of special mention that wouldn't be considered as a award, yet rewarding to the artist.

Just a thought.
I agree with what has been said any way.
Can't wait to start :p
Regards.
-IS-

ZaKKoS
04-27-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm with Igor

- Best Camera Work

with this you mean things like pov, movements, etc?
If it's like that (a division between directing actors and directing where and how the camera looks) i'm totally with you.

igorsandman
04-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Yes that's exactly what I meant by Camera Work. I wasn't sure if it's needed but if everyone agrees...
Regards.
-IS-

Velk
04-27-2005, 05:44 PM
I think we are making this harder than it should be.

Awards:
Cinematography
Directing
Film Editing
Best Picture
Visual Effects
Writing

I pulled these right off the Academy Awards site and it should be pretty obvious what they are for. Cinematography is for the d.o.p. and Directing leans more towards the handling of the overall scope including actors.

ZaKKoS
04-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Velk
For me its ok...for me was important only to divide cinematography and directing (the whole directing act). I still think music can have an award.

Velk
04-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Doh! :banghead: Of course I would forget one.

PeterPuppet
04-28-2005, 01:36 PM
ZaKKoS: Youīre right.

The only problem with having too many awards is, that (as I guess thereīs not gonna be too many pictures at the first challenges), almost everybodyīs gonna win an award. Itīs like there were a 100 runner ups on the master and servant challenge. I think we just should develop this slowly and thatīs why Iīd put cinematography and directing together first. But let us the majority (or Roberto) decide. Iīm totally neutral in this.

For animations Iīd do an extra-award. Simply "Best animation".

peace, pete

Gamoron
04-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Not a bad idea. Seems like a very short time to do anything very good though.

Captain Spalding
04-30-2005, 11:18 PM
I am probably going against many people with this post, but I think that there should only be one award, best picture. Maybe I miss read some of the other posts (wouldn't be the first time!).
Ideally I think there should be one award a month, the best film gets honors. At the end of the year take all of the monthly winners and have a contest between them. Maybe then pick out who will get the award for best director and so on and so fourth. Just thought I would throw my idea into the pile. Let me know what you think. I am very excited about this........

Hinkle
05-02-2005, 11:34 AM
great idea ! count me in !

i also support Cpt Spalding in only giving out 1 award ( and maybe just adding a runnerup or 2 )

RobertoOrtiz
05-02-2005, 08:03 PM
OK how about if we give ONE AWARD, but we decided based on a scoring system that taken in consideration things like Cinematography, Direction, Editing, VFX(if any), Music and Sound Editing?

-R

ZaKKoS
05-02-2005, 09:02 PM
OK how about if we give ONE AWARD, but we decided based on a scoring system that taken in consideration things like Cinematography, Direction, Editing, VFX(if any), Music and Sound Editing?

-R

Isn't this how it (more or less) already works?
I mean that in the original awards list there was "best overall entry" and this worked for me. Also because it's more fair to award who deserve it in a special subject and not in others.

I think that there are not too many awards because not everyone must have an award, maybe two awards goes to the same person and if everyone get an award well this mean that every single entry deserved an award, in different category obiouvsly so it isn't that everyone is leveled to the others.

"best overall entry" is the award that count in the end because it means that you have mastered all (or almost all) the aspect of making the film.
Giving only one award can lead to the mistake of award a short that maybe is perfect technically but poor in the idea or viceversa, with the list that we have discussed above there is still the "best overall entry" compromise but also more specific awards.

In the end I think we are close each other to the same idea, for me it's ok how we stated some post ago.

Captain Spalding
05-03-2005, 06:54 AM

-R

I believe that the scoring system RobertoOrtiz mentioned is a great idea...for one award. A month is a very short time, and putting too much emphasis with other awards I feel detracts from the main objective, the best short film. If we take into consideration a scoring system, and talley points based on the above mentioned criteria, I do not think a mistake will be made regarding the best short film for that month. Lets not be overly complicated, this is a simple idea with one objective. Maybe limiting the contest to one award will spark a higher "creative competition" among the contestants. Everyone fighting with one goal in mind.......
.....Maybe even put it up to a vote. See how many people would rather do one award then multiple. I don't know, its just an idea.

Pufferfish
05-04-2005, 12:47 PM
I've been following this thread and the more I read it the more interested I become :) The idea of monthly short movie challenge is great.

What comes to award thingy.. I vote for 1 award only. If people want more, maybe in the end of the year some other awards like "The Best of 2005 CGTalk Shortfilm Challenge".. directing, cinematography, editin etc...*shrughs*

oh, and I'm more than interested to take part on this.

scotttygett
05-04-2005, 04:58 PM
There is going to be a post-partum blue period after making a short, and then a couple of weeks later, you realize that there is a finished short on your hard drive.

Award-wise, the cine-clubs seem to have their bashes once a year.

I actually don't know that I can do this, or pretty much know it's not possible for me right now.

And me with a finshed script begging to be made...

Incidentally, if any of you are on LightWave and want to collaborate, I was having trouble finding voice talent, which is usually a sign that it's time to take a break. Maybe we can barter objects for animation, something like that...

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/writingcomedy/vwp?.dir=/Scott+Tygett&.dnm=Earlier+Kebar+study.jpg&.src=gr&.view=t&.hires=t

PeterPuppet
05-04-2005, 08:28 PM
One award sounds good to me and I agree with Roberto on the scoring system. yep, yep, letīs do this :)

@Pufferfish: Iīm looking forward to what youīre producing, dude ;)

peace, pete

visionist
05-05-2005, 02:24 AM
I think this is brilliant, we make a movie once a month it gets scored and gets one award, and that will be like the one movie that gets "produced" that month. then at the end of the year you have like a big award show like the oscars where the 12 or soo "produced" films get the awards they deserve. that is what I got out of it I hope this makes other people understand, that were against it:)

RobertoOrtiz
05-06-2005, 02:12 AM
I like the way you think greg

-R

RobertoOrtiz
05-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Guys check out this month's Fx wars to see micro movies done in a month:

http://kvaalen.com/cgtalk/fxwars/

-R

sergioKomic
05-10-2005, 09:51 AM
:bounce: sign me up!

1 month (hmm) I m working full time (12-14hours/day sometimes weekends) so I d preffer a 2 month challenge but a month is okay!

Daylan
05-13-2005, 05:15 AM
Roberto, Phill here from C3, one of Norma's travelling companions.

I remember you mentioning this idea when we were heading into the Rick McCallum spectacular and wanted to through in that I'd be interested in taking part in this one. I think 1 month is more than sufficient for a short 2 minute film.

Sign me up should this move beyond the "testing waters" stage.

Later dude

ZaKKoS
05-15-2005, 06:54 PM
So what is the next step?
I'm impatient!:drool:

RobertoOrtiz
05-18-2005, 03:00 AM
Ok here is the next step people....

If you are interested, post on this thread you intent to participate
and also please start posting topics.

Until then Ill try to get the appropiate permits.

-R

igorsandman
05-18-2005, 08:17 AM
I intent to participate! Can't wait to start.
Count me in Roberto and thanks for what you do for us.
I'll think of a few topics and I'll post them later.
Bye.
-IS-

PeterPuppet
05-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Iīm in. I donīt have to promise that I do a short for every challenge, do I? ;)

I have done a little short a while back (actually it was the first time to use my cam hehe) which I havent shown to anyone as I was like "itīs so bad that it would be a shame", but as I watched it yesterday after that long time, I was like:
Damn, thatīs so funny. Hereīs the topic:

- A Slipper-Story

I think everyone has some slippers at home. Letīs make em talk or just play around with them. Is this too crazy? Yes it is :twisted:

peace, pete

sergioKomic
05-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Im in when do we start?

Ps. what format should the final be? (mov, Dvd , avi ?)

ZaKKoS
05-18-2005, 11:37 AM
I intent to partecipate! :applause::buttrock:

Now I go thinking something to post!:thumbsup:

Velk
05-18-2005, 01:48 PM
I would love to participate, I won't be able to do it every time though.

bbKixx
05-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Count me in.

A possible topic could be.....

Someone coming to an abrupt stop, or realization. This could be funny to see what different ways peopled are stopped, or watching a character Realize something is wrong, or something bad, funny is about to happen.

Just a thought.

bbkixx

malcolmvexxed
05-19-2005, 01:30 AM
I think a monthly writing challenge would be a little more realistic in terms of completion although neither of these forusm is as active as I had hoped.

The HNO
05-19-2005, 11:47 AM
I would also like it to have a chance sharing informations with other people : )
For me it would be a honor to participate on that Idea.
Just started making shorts a couple of months ago.

This competition would be a really good thing.

I would also help where I can.

Rgds.

6foot5
05-23-2005, 04:28 PM
i would be very interested in taking part in something like this, i have no ideas for topics but would suugest trying to keep any restrictions in that regard as open ended or imaginative as possible...also to alow a generous timeframe for completion.

visionist
05-24-2005, 08:08 AM
I am up for the challenge but i usually end up with no time soo i never finish any of these challenges on cgtalk it kinda sucks, but i get buisy:( I wouldnt mind doing this here and there.

LmB

Hinkle
05-26-2005, 11:33 AM
i would definately participate, regardless off what topic or theme it has to be

visionist
05-26-2005, 06:44 PM

I just saw this on the first page and got pissed off, so I am going back to it. One, I will agree with some other people that said this, we are brainstorming and there is no reason to put other people down here. Two I have seen contest that have worked off of one script, and its just amazing. Its actually kind of cool to see how people think and work off of one script, and there where tons of people that applied their short films to it, and each one was better than the first. I will participate either way. I liked the themed slightly better cause it gets the creative juices flowing, but maybe RobertoOrtiz can throw in a script here and there just to see what happens. two minutes aint hard that roughly two pages of dialogue.

LmB

ZaKKoS
05-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Maybe it would be better if we have a new topic where to put our ideas.

- 2 persons are involved in a chase

albertbarrera
05-27-2005, 06:49 PM
I couldn't help but read all the posts...great stuff! Attached is a short script if anyone cares to use it at some point if it's decided to go with the single script idea. The script is only 3 1/2 pages but I think it can be shot in a couple of minutes.

Albert

"I think, therefore, my head hurts." -- albert barrera, 2005.

PeterPuppet
05-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Topics, topics! :bounce:

Hereīs my brainstorming:

once again:
-dead man walking
and
-the fight

new:
-the job (oO ;) )
-antihero (Iīm so f**ing bored of hero-movies, you guys canīt imagine)

still my fav.:
-a SLIPPER STORY (see description bellow)

uhm... Roberto? Can you give us some status update? Whatīs up up there?

peace, pete

igorsandman
05-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Here are a few topics:

- Angels
- Bad news
- There was someone
- Corridor
- Fear
- The prayer
- I'm alive and you're dead
- Paradise

Ok I stop here or it'll stop making sense.
Cheers.
-IS-

SamChen
05-28-2005, 10:27 AM
There has been lots of good ideas shared regarding Roberto's proposal so far. Let me chime in by distilling all the good stuff into something realistic. My gut feeling is that we need to keep this simple.. at least in its inaugural first challenge.

So here's what I propose. 1 award per month. Reasoning: I don't think there'll be a huge number of submissions initially and having tons of categories doesn't make sense without lots of entries. As mentioned by someone already, we can then choose a Best of the Year award after 12 months worth of winners have been determined.

Also, I propose a common theme/object/scenario without restriction on genre each month. The idea is to have a common theme that everyone can riff on for any given month, and the fun of it is seeing all the variations on that particular theme... expressed in any genre. So imagine a boy-meets-girl-boy-gets-dumped-by-girl theme in horror, comedy, action, slasher genres. It'd be a blast to see all the variations of that!

Also, max 2 minutes in 1 month is realistic. From experience, we've all learned that constraints are good. They often force us to be more succinct and creative in getting an idea across w/ limited time and resources... it's what the industry calls "economy of expression." That's why 30-sec & 60-sec commercials are often very creative and enjoyable.

I see Roberto's proposal as monthly excercises for all of us to incrementally sharpen each other knives. So we should be encouraging this type of consistent participation.. whether you're producing or critiquing and learning each month... rather than thinking these are epics and marathons to be done once or twice a year. Let's shoot for realistic incremental goals here.

Some themes off top of my head:

- why men & women are so different
- a big misunderstanding and its consequences
- "divine" intervention
- ooooops!
- boy meets girl, #@&@@ happens!
- ultimate irony
- ultimate truism
- the big "chase"
- Murphy's Law

Lastly, I'll just say that a cool mid-to-long-term goal would be for us to hold a contest in the Screenwriting forum. Then the winner or top 3 winning short scripts would then be produced by those in this directing/editing forum. That would be a fantastic display of inter-forum collaboration and synergy.

Thoughts?

visionist
05-29-2005, 03:11 AM
So when do we get a special forum in here for this contest? I am excited:)

LmB

RobertoOrtiz
05-29-2005, 05:42 AM
It will be right here...
I am trying to get the ball running for a test run for next month.

-R

6foot5
05-29-2005, 11:40 PM
great! i look forward to it.

:thumbsup:

sergioKomic
05-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Ditto for me to!

Colincsl
05-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Sounds awesome. It's a great time to start too. Summer is starting up which means I should have a lot of time to make something good. Also, I'm getting a new computer in the middle of June (AMD64X2 4400:drool:) so it will be nice to put it to some good use.

RobertoOrtiz
05-31-2005, 06:32 PM
More topics...

A mini doc on a landmark in your town
The knife fight
The phone call
The robot
The old house
The river

And these two are more ambitious...
(we will work in Collab with the FXWARS & Daily Sketch Group...more later)
Death of a Giant Killer Robot
We interrupt our Broadcast
Time
-R

scotttygett
05-31-2005, 09:48 PM
Here's my script:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/WritingComedy/message/4788

I made a few tests and have scene files and most object files, but no time to make this, so if someone else uses LightWave, or wants to re-rig the objects, I think it could qualify for the misunderstood giant killer robot category.

RobertoOrtiz
06-02-2005, 06:35 PM
I had a BRUTAL week at the office, so I have not had time to write the rules.
When I am rested tonight Ill start writing them.

Later,

-R

Martin_G_3D
06-05-2005, 02:53 AM
Just want to reply here to show the interest in this. I am currently not able to participate yet, I am currently focusing on story concepts and screenplays until i can afford a camera and have people to shoot with, but I do think this is a great addition to these forums, i think these forums have a lot of potential even though they are not very well visited yet, and I hope this contest will start and run good so i will be able to enter once I'm ready for it.

good luck

RobertoOrtiz
06-05-2005, 03:11 AM
Ok here is a DRAFT of the rules I have in mind:

CgTalk: 2-MINUTE FILM CLUB Challenge:1
Looking for a team?
Click >>Here<< (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=238638)

2-MINUTE FILM CLUB! THE CHASE
inspired by JE1

Proposed Scene:

THE CHALLENGE:

Create a short micro movie inspired by the published topic.

The finished short can be LIVE ACTION, LIVE ACTION WITH VFX or ANIMATED. But you only have ONE MONTH to finish the piece. The projects can be done by an individual but team entries are encouraged.

The key of the challenge, for all entry types, is to do an simply do a short. This means that the final piece will be evaluated mostly on the principles of story telling. My advice, keep it simple and work as part of a team.

Rules for the different types of entries:

ANIMATED (Difficulty Level HIGH)

Pre made models can be used.
The story and animation must be done after the topic has been selected.
Extensive WIP posts are required as evidence that the work has been done after the topic selected.
LIVE ACTION WITH VFX: (Difficulty Level HIGH)

More emphasis on composite work and Visual effects
The Effects must complement the storyline
For this kind of entry You can do anything you want, as long as the entry looks polished, and has at least some basic filmaking theory behind it. The entries will be judged more on the esthetics of the scenes and the dynamism of the finished effects.

LIVE ACTION: (Difficulty Level MEDIUM)

More emphasis on editing, lighting and cinematography.
The scenes in the entry require good flow and good camera work
For this kind of entry You can do anything you want, as long as the entry looks polished, and has at least some basic science behind it. The entries will be judged more on the esthetics of the scenes and the dynamism of the finished animation.

HYBRID ENTRY: (Difficulty Level VERY HIGH)

It combines the required of both the LIVE ACTION and the VFX entry.
The best animation/short will be selected by an open vote
for these categories:

Best Cinematography
Best Storyline
Best Editing(NEW!)
Best Visual Effects (NEW!)
Best Overall Entry
The winner will get bragging rights and a small banner
designed by me.

DATELINE: Monday June 25th 12:00 PM

YOU HAVE One month and two weeks to do the challenge.

CHALLENGE SPECIFIC RULES:

No work taken DIRECTLY from an existing tutorial. You may use an existing tutorial only for reference.
You may use a pre exiting models and filmed footage, as long as you have the rights to use them.
If you create models for this challenge but you need to post development images on your WIP thread.
VFX ENTRIES: You may provide a heavily edited animation with all the trimmings (hell add animation if you want), as long a you provide another PLAIN wireframe animation or image of the VFX shots at work.
Remember the key of the challenge if for you guys to brush up on your filmaking skills.
GENERAL RULES:

Work on the mini film, and animation (if any) must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
WIP are encouraged if they are posted in ANOTHER thread. Please provide a link to them on this thread.
WIP thread should be posted on the Cinematography, Editing and Directing (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157) forum and should follow
the following naming convention:
2-MINUTE FILM CLUB!: MY NAME (LIVE ACTION WITH VFX, LIVE ACTION or ANIMATED)
(Note: Group entries are allowed)
It is Recommended that Final movies should be rendered at 320 x 240 or 640 x 480 in Quicktime* format (Sorenson Compression), but other resolutions and formats are allowed. * The animation format is open for discussion.
The animation should follow the following naming convention:
MYNAME_2-MINUTE FILM CLUB!(RESOLUTION).mov.
Add the following tile card at the beginning and end of the animation:

2-MINUTE FILM CLUB! THE CHASE
MY NAME (Individual or team)
(LIVE ACTION WITH VFX, LIVE ACTION or ANIMATED)
Date

, and if you can, also add a small non disruptive watermark during the animation.

If for some reason, you can't host movies, sequential images (Thumbnails size 160 x 120 ) are accepted.
Please add a brief text description about your piece.
The artist also has to post total length of time it took and program used.
Collaborative pieces are accepted and encouraged, but Teams entries must have a identifying banner and a name. Shot lists should be included with the entry.
Individuals participating in a team CAN have their own individual entries.
The topics will be picked at random from the list on
this >>thread << (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155219) (The author will be given credit). So
guys keep them coming.
Post on this thread your link to your WIP thread and your FINAL piece.
You can add multiple entries, as long as they have different WIP threads.
Only participants who follow the rules and submit a final entry will be eligible for the voting process.
Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.

Good Luck

-R

Colincsl
06-05-2005, 05:57 AM
Sounds Great, but there is conflicting information. Do we get 1 month or 1 month 2 weeks?

scotttygett
06-05-2005, 09:41 AM
If I understand correctly, we find out in a week or two what the topic is, which will be randomly selected from a list of hundreds (and if I know this forum, will include characters with
demonic-looking heads, and don't tell me its a Sith thing, this has been going on since 1988). I don't know why it's being called "The Chase," some ouroborous thing maybe.

People wacky enough to animate have to also send some sort of WIPs, but we can use any objects we want. Cow chasing teapot...

Then we've got until August 6 or so to make something and post it at www.triggerstreet.com (http://www.triggerstreet.com/) under 15Meg, or wherever we can, though a list of huge-file freeservers would be nice, since places like www.50megs.com (http://www.50megs.com/) , who I love, actually cap single files at 250 K.

RobertoOrtiz
06-05-2005, 11:57 AM
The topic is NOT the real topic....

Oh sorry it should say
1 MONTH...
My bad

-R

PeterPuppet
06-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Sounds good to me... Just one question. Is that "2 minutes" a real limit or can it be little longer?

Letīs get it started, dudes :-)

peace, pete

RobertoOrtiz
06-06-2005, 02:26 PM
I think the 2 minute maximum is a good guideline, because we want people to come and review the shorts...

Now and then we could so something longer.

-R

sergioKomic
06-07-2005, 11:06 AM
So should I start a Wip thread?

userBrian
06-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Roberto-This is a great idea! I like the topic "THe Chase" but I see you added "The topic is not the real topic". I was thinking of tapeing the chase scene from my 2D Master and Servant entry "Escape From Area 51" using the plastic plane model I made and the metal model which I bought made. With live action, a miniature hanger set and effects and animation.

Colincsl
06-07-2005, 09:08 PM
So should I start a Wip thread?

Not yet. That wasn't the actual starting post or even the first topic that will be used.

sergioKomic
06-08-2005, 10:36 AM
whoops!

(i even began plot outlines and some storyboaeds!:cry: :arteest: :banghead: :banghead:I need to learn how to read)

MystikGotan
06-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Yeah, that'd be great. I'm really sure there will be enough entries, you can count me in for some shorts!

grtz gotan

cementarygate
06-09-2005, 12:36 AM
i think its great, but monthly, i think it takes time, how about once every two months , ill definately try

ZaKKoS
06-10-2005, 08:46 PM
great! at last it started! (and the theme is funny)

2 question/discussion/whatever they are

1- 2 minutes are intended WITHOUT end credits right? (it's quite important this)

2- the link of the "suggested topics" bring to the one of the fxwars. Is that right?

ZaKKoS
07-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Next challenge is in sight so i post here some new topics

epidemic
the box
movie trailer (not of an existing movie)

and a subject

A person has lost his memory, in the end he remembers everything but it would be better not to

sergioKomic
07-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Im shure somebody must have posted it allready.....

"The fight"

(it can be anything from martial arts to domestic problems)

Stevemeister
07-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Im shure somebody must have posted it allready.....
"The fight"
(it can be anything from martial arts to domestic problems)

A fight scene sounds good but sounds hard. If the comp is once every
two months, after seeing all the good fun stuff from this first competition,
I may give the second comp the good old one-two try as well :).

stepington
08-08-2005, 05:18 PM
I love the trailer idea! It'd be a lot of fun to have an exercise that focus's on mood/theme and interesting shot setups as opposed to focusing on a linear story.

ZaKKoS
08-30-2005, 02:02 AM
I love the trailer idea! It'd be a lot of fun to have an exercise that focus's on mood/theme and interesting shot setups as opposed to focusing on a linear story.

Thanks step! I love trailers (as you can tell by the thread I opened some times ago in GD:p).
I put them a little under music videos and commercials in my preferences list.
Some times ago i was thinking about this topic and man it's not easy...not easy at all:shrug:

Well another topic suggestion, an evergreen:

FORBIDDEN LOVE

Reminiscence
02-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Hey peeps, I've just joined. Is there a specific area where I can introduce myself? If not I can talk a bit about myself. But lemme get to the point. Is this 2min film challenge still going on? Doesn't seem to be anything in the last couple of months. Sad. Well anyways I would've loved to take part in the challenge. Let's just hope it makes a comeback...

All the best...

Regards
Reminiscence

ZaKKoS
02-14-2006, 10:36 PM
maybe if someone else asks Roberto will play god a little by resurrecting the challenge. I really hope so...maybe as a pre-fx-war to collect the footage...(btw I hope the next fxwar will need some live action again :thumbsup: )

sergioKomic
02-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Id like that to....:deal:

(not right now tho cause Im busy busy busy)

RobertoOrtiz
02-16-2006, 02:50 PM
OK....

I give..

But you kids pick the topic.

What would you guys like to do?

-R

sergioKomic
02-16-2006, 03:23 PM
will you do one as well roberto?:thumbsup:

RobertoOrtiz
02-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Next one,

right one I am swamped.

-R

sergioKomic
02-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Same here!... Lets have a long deadline this time...
(as if two and three months werent enough!)

Topic: "Making of..."

RobertoOrtiz
02-17-2006, 03:51 PM
I know this is NOT what you had in mind..

but until the official challenge goes live how about of you guys
CHECK THIS OUT

THE STORY REEL!_Challenge 1: "THE CHASE" (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=319525)

-R

ZaKKoS
02-17-2006, 04:51 PM
At this moment I have to deal with a lot of troubles that can affect my chances of getting into the challenge but i hope to get out of this situation soon!
For the reel challenge, sorry i can't draw...i'm here for the friendship :p

Rickmeister
02-28-2006, 11:34 PM
I would really like to participate as well...
though i'm a beginning filmmaker with allmost no time to spend...

but I was thinking about a topic like this:
The Robbery?
Not to hard, and a classic topic...

AstroSanchezz
03-02-2006, 04:18 AM
yeah cant wait til the film challenge gets going again, i didnt get to join the ones before because i was in the middle of getting a new camera .. ebay problems slowed it down but now i have one and ready to go :buttrock:

ironpiping
04-13-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure. I'm just 15 years old. But I would like to give it a try.

RobertoOrtiz
04-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Oj it is nice to see interest.
Let me get the modelling challenge running, and Ill bring this one back.

Any topics you guys would like to do?

-R

AstroSanchezz
04-13-2006, 11:42 PM
:buttrock:

some topics

from Vertical Vortex
The Robbery

from ZaKKoS
Forbidden Love
Epidemic
The Box
Movie trailer (not of an existing movie)

and some random things from me -
Letting Go
Go to the Store!
The Driver
Lucky Day
In the Beginning
Crave
Sleepwalking

Rickmeister
04-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Or making a music video clip from a given song edit: or not a given but a song choosen bij yourself... your favorite maybe? and translating it in your vision of the videoclip.

or making an commercial about all-day-problems like smoking or poor people...

just some thoughts

Velk
04-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I'd like to see this start back up again, I should be getting more free time soon.

Some topics:
Someone's at the Door
The End
Dream/Nightmare
The Closet
Run
The In-laws
Why Me?

CG_Fan597
04-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Some Topics:

What I did this summer.....

The Time Machine

A Day at the Amusement Park

Dragons

A Day at the Beach

Detention

Rickmeister
04-28-2006, 12:31 AM
dont think that this thread needs anymore topics ;) it needs someone who runs this place! where is the man?

stepington
04-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Oj it is nice to see interest.
Let me get the modelling challenge running, and Ill bring this one back.

Any topics you guys would like to do?

-R

. . . . . .
:D

Velk
05-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Come back Oh 2-Minute Film Club, Come back!

Seriously I'd love to see this start back up. I know, I know. I didn't finish the one that I entered and I'll make no excuses. I think storytelling is one aspect that everyone can work on getting better at, and this is a great medium to do it in.

Its a very difficult balance to make between the images and storytelling. The key is a good story will overcome bad effects, lousy DV compression, and not having Shake... As CG people its sometimes hard to get rid of the perfectionist tendencies and learn when its good enough.

I for one can always work on getting better at all these things, so from me I say, come back.

Velk
05-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Roberto, now that I've groveled I'll post my challenge suggestion:

1–2 minute PSA (public service announcement) of contestant's choice.

Rickmeister
06-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Is this ever going to revive?

SpecialFX3D
07-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Looks promising what happened to this contest?

igorsandman
07-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Hey,
I'd love to see the film club revive too. My only concern is the voting system. There are several categories users can vote for, but in the end, the same film wins them all. It doesn't make much sense. The goal is to improve not to win, but it's kind of frustrating anyway. I have to admit my motivation went down a little because of that. Anyways, if the film club comes back, you can count me in, for sure! I guess it ended because of the low participation, so we need a petition :)
Take care.
-IS-

Rickmeister
07-11-2006, 12:16 AM
You're right Igor, the rating system might be better off when you split it up in different segments, so you can lose the cinematography part but win with the best screenplay and make one categorie 'best out of all' or something towards that direction to have a real winner. More like the Oscars way...

AstroSanchezz
07-11-2006, 12:37 AM
as i've posted before.. i'd also like to see this come back!
maybe theres a way the small group that do want it to come back could start up an "unofficial" challenge like some of the other sections have
over here in louisville there's a local 48hr film challenge with the same idea as the 48hr film project.. www.48hourfilm.com (http://www.48hourfilm.com) which i'm doing this year wooo wooo
anyways.. the local version is noncompetitive so its more just a fun challenge to do if anybody wanted to just go that way with it

RobertoOrtiz
07-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Ok I DID promise in an interview that I would bring this back, and I will.
BUT I want to avoid the disater of the second contest.

So what can be done to avoid low participation. Keep in mind, we want the entries to look really polished.

For example, one thing I REALLY want to do is
"STICK FIGURE Theater" inspired by the short by Louis Clichy
A quoi įa sert l'amour
>>LINK<< (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IivEGxl8qU&search=A%20quoi%20%C3%A7a%20sert%20l%27amour)

-R PS And keep posting topics!

Rickmeister
07-21-2006, 06:59 AM
Ah! finaly our leader has found his way back ^_^

Correct me if i'm wrong, but stickfigure animation is quite not my area of expertise i'm more into lifeaction with Visual FX combined... and thats not what you seem to have in mind, right?

igorsandman
07-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Hello,
Trying to get more participation and restricting the medium to stick figure animation seems a bit contradictory to me. I love that short film but anyone can decide to go for that style of animation on any topic. If the film club starts again with that restriction, I'm not gonna take part in it, simply because animation is not my field. Just my two cent...

Anyways, for that question of how to gather more people to particitpate in the film club, one solution would be to make it on a two months basis, or to separate live action from animation (1 month for live action and 2 months for animation or something like that). It seems a lot of animation filmmakers found one month to to be too short.

As far as I am concerned, everything was fine with the old rules. Maybe a more open topic would help, but that's a detail. (and also the voting system as I mention in my above reply)
I can't wait to see the film club back.
-IS-

sergioKomic
07-22-2006, 03:15 PM
I kinda agree with Igor on this one roberto!!

Something like the last rules will do just fine, more time and more front page plugging from your part will surelly do the trick!

Rickmeister
07-22-2006, 03:24 PM
As I did before I also agree with Igor.
On the other hand Roberto... you have to avoid indeed a second disaster with the 2min. film club. So spreading the word bigtime will help this for sure, more on the frontpage.... It's kinda dead here, if you havent noticed it yet...

Velk
07-22-2006, 04:44 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents and agree with everyone so far. While I really like the idea of the stick figure film, I think it may narrow the field down too much. Keeping it more open with a slightly longer timeline and more exposure may help.

RobertoOrtiz
07-23-2006, 01:29 AM
Ill spread the wors around. trust me on that one guys.

Any more ideas?

-R

methodz
11-23-2006, 02:48 PM
COUNT ME IN!! i think it would be AWSOME to have bi weekley or monthly short film contests, i make game movies would most certainly do this it would give people a chance to to do somthing new

3DEffects
01-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Hi.

I was just wondering, will there be another short film competition? Since it's been quite a while since one has been organized, I thought whether another competition will run again.

Thanks.

Rickmeister
01-07-2007, 11:39 PM
I would not bet my money on it... this challenge is dead for too long now...

3DEffects
01-08-2007, 11:03 AM
I would not bet my money on it... this challenge is dead for too long now...

Yeah it seems likely so. But I thought I could revive the interest and maybe get Roberto to start organizing once again.

**Fingers Crossed!** :)

Thanks

Rickmeister
01-08-2007, 12:08 PM
I hope you can! I would love to see this alive again! Though don't know for sure if I still have the time to join the challenge....

BadG3r
01-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Today was the first time I saw the thread...

AND IM TOTALLY IN!

Maybe this competition should have a standalone forum between the other challenges. it was pure luck to find you guys.

As for the low participation:

Its a new challenge, others will join (NEED A STANDALONE FORUM ON FRONTPAGE cant emphasize that enough)

make it 1 month competition, 1 month break, so we end up with six films everybody can work on that. for me eg. its also money consuming and i dont have the money to get a team, equipement, etc. every month.

and if theres once a low participation. so what? i mean this is much stronger and more complex in the hole. it isn't a software you just doenload some tuts an start getting better.
here you need other research. so, there aren't as many entries as in modelling or so.

SO REVIVE THIS LITTLE PRANKSTER AND MAKE FRONTY.

yours,

Igor

3DEffects
01-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Hey BadG3r! Glad you are in aswell!

I would also like to revive and participate in these competitions. I sent a PM to Roberto about 2 weeks ago, but I haven't received any reply yet! :/

Thanks

sheepfilms
02-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I'd love to have a go at one of the competitions if they were about

As for ideas, how about something simple, such as taking a news headline, making that into the challenge? Picking some of today's headlines that grabbed me (courtesy Fark and The Register):

Two brews in one: coffee beer
North Dakota debating microchips in employees
Want to cross the road? Don't ask Google Maps. 30-second walk becomes 10.4km epic road trip
US town bans Santa

Failing that, find some random words! It's easier if one is a place, one a person and one a verb

3DEffects
02-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey sheepfilms!

I would also like to start a challenge but apparently, nothing is being done to organzine one. I think we just have to wait. :/

BadG3r
02-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Hey sheepfilms!

I would also like to start a challenge but apparently, nothing is being done to organzine one. I think we just have to wait. :/

Hey guys (whoever is reading, how many there might be)!!!

Maybe we should a comp on our own??? I mean, why the heck do we need Roberto to organize this (no offense). Maybe he has many other things to do than organizing a comp w/o entries....

So lets start. What about...

Time: 3 Months Beginning March 01 2007 ending May 31 2007 23.45h
to take into consideration that some of us actually do work

Theme/Subject: Three suggestions, we pick one together.
1. Head Of A Woman
2. Lighter In The Dark
3. Secret Relation

The script has to be made for the comp. No decomposing scripts from your drawer.
This doesn't need to be the title of the film. In some way in needs to be part or what ever of the film.
The genre is open (horror, documentary, scifi, drama, experimentel, whatever, shoot me).

A thread (2min FilmClub Nr.1 - name - name of the film) has to be opened for the entry from which we can see the STAFF, EQUIPEMENT and DRINKS consumed throughout the whole production. ok kidding on that one. At the end (May31 or june01) a summary needs to be added.

No animation film. Only livefootage, although CG elements are welcomed.

This is fun, not war.

Categories: question is if we need this??? Because the way you treated the theme, maybe the story or script is experimentel, to everyone it just isn't clear. so, no best script/story.
Or most people really don't know what is the real work a director does. so how to find a category everyone can vote for???
maybe just best film??? or we do it for the fun??? not quite sure bout that one.

at least, thats for sure 3dEffects you are in. So lets startt this baby anyway.
What you think???

BadG3r

RobertoOrtiz
02-18-2007, 05:04 AM
Ok Ill pitch in in any way I can.

Ok lets do this, how about if we start a mini challenge in about a month.
But i would need to have at least 3 people that FOR SURE will participate.

The challenges in those forum died because of the lack of participation in
"the City" mini challenge, about a year ago.

BTW for this one I might not be able to plug it, like my other challenges.

-R

BadG3r
02-18-2007, 10:27 AM
good to see you , roberto.

so me is #1.

let's get rollin

3DEffects
02-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey BadG3r great idea to get the ball rolling!:thumbsup: I agree!

Thanks Roberto for starting this challenge!:applause:

Count me in!

Me is #2

Thanks,
3DEffects

sheepfilms
02-19-2007, 03:24 PM
I like the idea of starting in a month, as I'm already in the FXWars compo on another thread! This and I might be a little busy, but nothing's definite at the moment.

Count me in, just please forgive me if it's quick and dirty because I'm busy

BadG3r
02-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Trust me! We LIKE quick and dirty.

Brannigans law is like Brannigans love: Hard and fast!

sheepfilms
02-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Quick and dirty it is then!

RobertoOrtiz
02-20-2007, 09:38 PM
ok we got three people!

now we need a decent topic...

Any ideas?

-R

BadG3r
02-21-2007, 09:29 AM
take any of the above stated ones from me...

3DEffects
02-21-2007, 09:42 AM
take any of the above stated ones from me...

Also, you can take sheepfilms' ideas.

RobertoOrtiz
02-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Ok I will look into it.
So lets start talking about rules...
-R

igorsandman
02-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Hello I'm still alive :bounce:
I'm glad to see the filmclub is rising from its ashes. I can't say for sure if I'll be able to participate because I'm deep in the pre-production of my first feature film (yeehaa!) so I'm a bit busy. Anyways I'm more interrested than ever. 2min filmclub is the best way to dust off my DV camera and go shoot some stuff. So if I'm inspired and if I my plannings allows it, you can count me in.
As for the rules, I would only suggest something very simple like
- no categories
- only one "prize"
- a wide topic
- and last but not least, everybody go wild!

Roll camera.
-IS-

3DEffects
02-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Hey Igor! It's great to have someone experienced in these film challenges to participate! :)

- no categories
- only one "prize"
- a wide topic

As for the rules you posted, I would agree upon them. Prize may also be extended to a runner up (depending on the amount of participation of course).

Thanks,
3DEffects

BadG3r
02-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Good luck with your first feature IGOR. Every time it confuses me when somebody talks to you cause my name's igor, too.

to the rules-mobile.... dada dada dada da

- no categories
- only one "prize"
- a wide topic

to be amended by

So lets start. What about...

Time: 3 Months Beginning March 01 2007 ending May 31 2007 23.45h
to take into consideration that some of us actually do work

A thread (2min FilmClub Nr.1 - name - name of the film) has to be opened for the entry from which we can see the STAFF, EQUIPEMENT and DRINKS consumed throughout the whole production. ok kidding on that one. At the end (May31 or june01) a summary needs to be added.

This is fun, not war.

AND last but.. you know the rest.

don't let us decompose while talking about rules. stick to what igor said (not me). it would be just fine. if something isn't working we adjust it in later comps.
yeah i'm an optimist...

RobertoOrtiz
02-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Ok

so do you guys want to do based on the chosen topic?
A film collage? A mini doc? A short?

-R

3DEffects
02-25-2007, 04:57 PM
I agree with what BadG3r said.

Now, Roberto, for me a range of topics to choose from would be an option. Also, I prefer a mini-doc or a short as a type of film.

My two cents ...

BadG3r
02-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Ok

so do you guys want to do based on the chosen topic?
A film collage? A mini doc? A short?

-R

ONE topic and free choice of genre.

so we can see how we approach the given topic. if the topic is wide (e.g. head of a woman, i know thats really abstract) we will have diffrent and interesting (at least i hope so ;) results.

igorsandman
02-26-2007, 02:22 PM

so we can see how we approach the given topic. if the topic is wide (e.g. head of a woman, i know thats really abstract) we will have diffrent and interesting (at least i hope so ;) results.
I second that. Well it's a completely subjective statement, but I work better with freedom than with constraints.
-IS-

RobertoOrtiz
02-26-2007, 10:02 PM

Ok I like that.... I like that a lot.

Now let me cook up a draft of the rules.

-R

MattVogt
02-28-2007, 05:48 AM
This sounds like an amazing learning opportunity for all of us. I'm in... first kick at the film bucket - should be fun!

looking forward to theme and working with you guys!

cheers,
Matt

sergioKomic
02-28-2007, 10:30 AM
count me in

I d like a vague theme/title and a duration agreement...

ex.

"head" under 2 min

s.

BadG3r
03-03-2007, 04:19 PM
we re growing

3DEffects
03-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah this is great! Awaiting those rules ... :)

MattVogt
03-04-2007, 03:33 AM
we're growing hahaha yeah I'll start spreading the word. Timing wise I bet we'll kick off in March. Robert, is this true?

Also check this jem of a link:
http://www.wordplayer.com/archives/poltisitu.01-12.html
36 plot themes! Robert, I'd do a print, cut them out, and pick out of a hat hahahahha

RobertoOrtiz
03-04-2007, 05:22 AM
Guys ok keep an eye on this thread then.

-R

RobertoOrtiz
03-07-2007, 04:38 AM
OK first draft of the rules...

GENERAL RULES:

The lenght of the mini movie/documentary should NOT be longer than 2 minutes, but shorter entries are acceptable
Work on the mini film, and animation (if any) must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
WIP are encouraged if they are posted in ANOTHER thread. Please provide a link to them on this thread.
WIP thread should be posted on the Cinematography, Editing and Directing (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157) forum and should follow
the following naming convention:
2-MINUTE FILM CLUB!My City:NAME OR TEAM NAME (LIVE ACTION WITH VFX, LIVE ACTION or ANIMATED)
(Note: Group entries are allowed)
It is Recommended that Final movies should be rendered at 320 x 240 or 640 x 480 in Quicktime* format (Sorenson Compression), but other resolutions and formats are allowed. * The animation format is open for discussion.
The animation should follow the following naming convention:
MYNAME_2-MINUTE FILM CLUB!(RESOLUTION).mov.
Add the following tile card at the beginning and end of the animation:

2-MINUTE FILM CLUB! My City MY NAME (Individual or team)
(LIVE ACTION WITH VFX, LIVE ACTION or ANIMATED)
Date

, and if you can, also add a small non disruptive watermark during the animation.

If for some reason, you can't host movies, sequential images (Thumbnails size 160 x 120 ) are accepted.
Please add a brief text description about your piece.
The artist also has to post total length of time it took and program used.
Collaborative pieces are accepted and encouraged, but Teams entries must have a identifying banner and a name. Shot lists should be included with the entry.
Individuals participating in a team CAN have their own individual entries.
The topics will be picked at random from the list on
this >>thread << (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=230781) (The author will be given credit). So
guys keep them coming.
Post on this thread your link to your WIP thread and your FINAL piece.
You can add multiple entries, as long as they have different WIP threads.
Only participants who follow the rules and submit a final entry will be eligible for the voting process.
Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.

igorsandman
03-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Looks good to me, Roberto. I'm ready to start :-)

-IS-

BadG3r
03-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Soooo hit me.

3DEffects
03-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Yep. Everything fine for me.

Rickmeister
03-07-2007, 11:51 AM
No WAY!

I must be dreaming! it is becoming alive again? whoah! how sweet is that...

Hopefully I can count in!

watermage
03-07-2007, 12:33 PM
o0o0o0...I'm looking forward to doing this. Just got a brand spaking new camera too..:buttrock:

Rickmeister
03-07-2007, 02:01 PM
ehhh... what's the subject? did I missed that somewhere?

RobertoOrtiz
03-07-2007, 02:05 PM
As my mom would say....

Un momentito.

BTW do how do you guys feel about either a one month or two month dateline?

-R

Rickmeister
03-07-2007, 03:23 PM
I personally would go for the 2 month time frame because of my limited free time, what gives me more time, for better quality.

But that is just me...

BadG3r
03-07-2007, 04:14 PM
make it two... i second the argument before.

RobertoOrtiz
03-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Two months it is...
Ok lets talk about topics...

Any ideas?

-R

BadG3r
03-07-2007, 07:22 PM
the whole thread is full of topics.. i thought yu pick one.. at least thats what you said...

otherwise what about:

shadows

RobertoOrtiz
03-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Ok then

We go live tonight...

Again, there WILL NOT be a plug.

-R

BadG3r
03-07-2007, 08:06 PM
whta do you mean by PLUG???

.. ohhh and I cant wait for it...

RobertoOrtiz
03-07-2007, 08:22 PM
By plug is that I need more quiet.
It will be the same as any other mini challenge,
but it will not havea frontpage plug.

-R

Velk
03-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Awesome! I'm going to try and jam this into my schedule—especially since I just bought a bunch of new tools.

BadG3r
03-07-2007, 10:32 PM
ahh ok. such a plug...

ok waiting for tonight...

RobertoOrtiz
03-08-2007, 03:41 AM
2-MINUTE FILM CLUB!_Challenge 4: "Cute Girl (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=157&t=471805) is up.

ZaKKoS
04-14-2007, 08:29 PM
WOW WOW WOW!

Nice to see that the hardcore fans are still here :thumbsup: (btw how are you doing?)

Too bad i only saw today that the challenge is up again :sad:

But hey, good luck to everyone. Maybe i'll join the challenge next time!

matiax
04-07-2008, 02:42 AM
what happened to the film challenges?

RobertoOrtiz
04-07-2008, 06:31 AM
what happened to the film challenges?
Honestly, a lack of interest.

matiax
04-07-2008, 06:45 AM
it's a shame, if the competition was known to more people, I'm sure a lot more would enter

Speedoo
02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
"a lack of interest" no no no... i am interested, and i think more will come...
we just need to encourage people...

MadMax
02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
"a lack of interest" no no no... i am interested, and i think more will come...
we just need to encourage people...

the last active post on the subject was almost 2 years ago........

Yeah, I think lack of interest is a pretty accurate description.

Speedoo
02-27-2009, 02:31 PM
the last active post on the subject was almost 2 years ago........

Yeah, I think lack of interest is a pretty accurate description.

yeah.. may be you are right,
but what about the people who are really interested, who really want to show and improve there film direction skills, i know the number is very less but still i thing we should give them a chance to show there talent.

lewissatini
03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
hi,
are there anyone know what is the best resouces for beginner editing? resources that I can find on the net. about the concept of editing and terms

Thank you

AlienMonsterRobot
03-30-2009, 05:13 AM
I'm a bit late to the party (call me Richter), but I'd like to see a 2-minute film challenge, perhaps twice a month.

The trick is to limit the subject matter/setting/characters similar to a 24- and 48-hour film format, but not imposing those limits. By simplifying the elements, filmmakers can focus more the writing, acting or editing/post.

The interest might be waning because this site is more focused on CG, but that certainly includes live-action. It would be even greater if modelers and filmmakers/compositors could collaborate. The only limitation would be determining the creative uses for the CG creation (rendered still image, animation, etc.).

Nixus00
10-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Hello all,

I'm a recent addition to the CG world and had a particular question, but wasn't quite sure where to post:

In the video-game environment, as well as the world of cinema, is there a particular position/title/area that deals primarily with choreography or the way that the characters will move/ fight/ interact with their environment?

I have been exceedingly focused in the area of fight choreography and how the characters move and interact with their environment...even down to a psychological level. I have a lot of interesting ideas that I would like to try out with some other animators, however, I'm not exactly sure where I would fit in as a position within an animation studio/group. I don't readily know if there is such a thing as a 'fight scene choreographer' or something that deals with how an event in the storyboard would unfold, other than a storyboard artist.

I am asking you, the members of this forum to kindly guide me in the right direction if you happen to know that answer. Any details or specifics would be greatly appreciated. I'm really passionate and motivated about seeing my ideas come to fruition, but as the saying goes...your ideas are only as good as your team.

Thank you for your time!

~Nixus00~

Andrewty07
01-12-2012, 02:43 PM
I think it would be a very interesting idea but it seems pretty clear based on the fading of this thread that it isn't popular enough as is. What if the time and concept was thoroughly shortened and we found a way to integrate more of the community. Something like a basic concept presented each month and then people would find a way to express that concept. I know my idea might branch off of film making a bit in order to meet a larger audience of interest but in our cgsociety community that might be what is needed until that specific of a sub group becomes more present. So for example here is how a challenge could work:

The moderator posts a spontaneous subject "Teddy Bear Warfare"
-30 second film /animation

Members have until the 1st of the next month to submit links to finished animations or films showing their idea and interpretation of the subject presented by the moderator.

I think this could be linked through different forums between wips for modeling, animating, painting, etc. It would be really awesome if something like that could kick off to flood all the forums with more posts related to their overall concepts of a short film.

This is merely a random thought that popped in my head to get some creativity and activity swirling around our forums. The 2 minute timeline just seemed a tad long considering the varying lifestyles of users, some it might be easy but for others working full time and with families not so much.