PDA

View Full Version : Low Poly Male Character

itsallgoode9
04-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Well here's the beginnings to my male character to go along with my female character for my freelance project.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=228184&page=2&pp=15 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=228184&page=2&pp=15)

It's at 572 triangles right now and the final count will be around 1500 tris. I might need to cut some tris out later on since the female character's head had about 100 less tris and the total poly count ended up at 1600 on her. We'll just have to see as time goes on.

http://img66.echo.cx/img66/6819/malefacescreencap5ch.jpg

itsallgoode9
04-15-2005, 05:53 AM
Well here's an update of my character after some more work. It's at 1304 tris right now and personally think it's gonna turn out really good for a 1500 tri character when it's finished. I think the head looks a little bit large right now, but it's based directly off a photo, so i'm thinking it's just cause there are no heads or hands yet, but I guess we'll see as time goes on. Also, I tweaked the face quite a bit around the cheek and eye area. If anybody has any C&C let me know, I appreciate anything you can give as this is only my 2nd character model i've done so i've got tons to learn still!!!
http://img49.echo.cx/img49/7213/screencap8jj.jpg

adam-crockett
04-15-2005, 08:19 AM
The neck attaches to the head at a really wierd angle. Its hard to tell because its not a side view. I think the head needs to come forward, so that the neck attaches closer to the back of the skull. Check your anatomy references.

Nice edge loops on the face model. Influenced by those Bond Baddies that were posted recently? Good work.

itsallgoode9
04-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Nice edge loops on the face model. Influenced by those Bond Baddies that were posted recently? Good work.

Yup it sure was! I was amazed by how much detail he got out of such a low amount of polys so I'm like " Hell, i'll base my topology off of that" So unfortunatly it's not really my own method I came up with, but it works so well. So hopefully that's not an un-ethical thing to do. If it is, I did so un knowingly, so sorry to the orignal creator! You know though, it REALLLLLY helps to have somthing to look at with the topology when you are modeling. I want to buy a styrofoam draw the topology on it to look at whenever i'm modeling to help me out. Heck, even today I was trying to model the leg and was having trouble around the quad/knee area, so I just took a marker and drew the topology on my leg and that helped out a TON.

The topology on the body is pretty un-uniform and all over the place, but in my trials, I found it was much easier to creat muscle definition and stuff in a low poly project when you aren't sticking to a really uniform topology. Is there anything wrong with have crazy topology as long as it deforms correctly in the right places?

Thanks for the feedback!

the_podman
04-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Yep! I certainy agree with you. A lot of professionals that post work always like to wait until enough of us beg them to post their wires.

I've read dozens of modeling books cover to cover, but simply looking at a wire helps me 90% of the time. When it comes to proportions, taking life drawing classes or sculpting helps me more in that area, but topology understanding can only really be understood by looking at wireframes.

Nice start, btw. Watch those proportions from the chest/shoulder. I would either beef up the chest a little or thin out the shoulders.

-pod

adam-crockett
04-15-2005, 05:29 PM
No accusations. You did nothing wrong. Referencing someones poly layout is exactly why everyone always wants to see the wireframes. Dont worry about it.

Ive drawn on my body before. I have this really embarassing picture that I wont post here, where I drew lines on my face with a marker and layed my head on a scanner (I didn't have a digital camera at the time.) Everyone does it. Its more fun to draw on someone else though : )

Mannequins are good reference too. They have idealised forms, and usually no color information to confuse the surface.

I cant really make out your topology since you dont have the wireframes turned on. Could you post an update with those showing? Then I could make better comments about that.

So far the anatomy looks really nice. Keep up the good work.

Adam

itsallgoode9
04-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Well I have the model finished up...well except for hair, I haven't decided on a style. Its total count is at 1642 triangles; the outfit (since you probally can't tell well without textures) is going to be a beach type outfit with an unbuttoned shirt and cutoff khaki shorts. The reason I actually modeled all the muscle definition in the earlier views was just for my personal portfolio, even though it was getting covered in the end. I guess that's all I have to say about it right now.

http://img234.echo.cx/img234/7136/malescreencap1cq.jpg

adam-crockett
04-16-2005, 08:33 AM
Nice work dude.

I think you are going to want a subdivision across the middle of his foot for...you guessed it...animation purposes.

Same goes for his wrists, not enough edge loops to flex.

Do you really not have enough polys to make simple fingers?

itsallgoode9
04-16-2005, 08:56 AM
Geez, I did forget about the wrists completely! :eek: As far as the fingers go, I don't know if I do that or not yet, i need to ask my client about that. The max budget per character was 2000 and wanted me to stay under 1500 if I could, so i'm running a little heavier than he wanted already and if I added fingers, that would be around an extra 100 triangles total. I'll just have to wait and see what he wants. I'll probally go through when I have time and do that for my own portfolio though. :thumbsup:

itsallgoode9
04-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Well here's a MR render of the near final character. It ended up at 1742 tris with 2 texture maps; right now they are 1024....I dunno what the final size will end up being. Unfortunatly I did not have enough tris to make actual fingers, and I wasn't aloud to do transparency, so the hair doesn't look stellar, but I Think overall its turning out good.
http://img157.echo.cx/img157/2008/modlesheetwithwires1lq.jpg

itsallgoode9
04-20-2005, 09:49 PM
****bump, Updated above image***

adam-crockett
04-20-2005, 10:02 PM
pantlegs seem really square right at the end, though there are polys there to make them rounder.

Whats going on behind his knees? Theres this wierd vert or two that look like they are out of place.

That kind of shirt usuall hangs lower in the front and back than on the sides. Im thinking an untucked button down. Some buttondowns arent shaped like that though, Like if its a bowling shirt.

I think the perfect thing to finish this guys look would be a crazy hawaiian shirt pattern!

Are you doing bump/spec maps, or just color?

the_podman
04-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Looks pretty good for that low polycount, however, he doesn't seem like he'll be able to do much, animation wise. I would rig him and get him in some test poses that you have in mind to check and see if you need to add some more loops. 2000- polys is pretty great but if you want him jumping around and doing all kinds of dynamic motions, I would probably segment those arms if you are pretty strict on the count. There are some wacky loops in there like the above post said and it might not lend itself too well when you start weighing the bones.

I usually don't consider low-poly work really "done" until it's successfully posed without ugly deformation.

If the character is not going to be moving much outside of a standard walk cycle, it should be ok, but if those arms have to raise above his head, there will be problems for sure without some more loops on those shoulders.

It's a very detailed character for those specs, though, and the texturing work is very nice. :)

-pod

itsallgoode9
04-21-2005, 09:06 AM
pantlegs seem really square right at the end, though there are polys there to make them rounder.

Whats going on behind his knees? Theres this wierd vert or two that look like they are out of place.

That kind of shirt usuall hangs lower in the front and back than on the sides. Im thinking an untucked button down. Some buttondowns arent shaped like that though, Like if its a bowling shirt.

I think the perfect thing to finish this guys look would be a crazy hawaiian shirt pattern!

Are you doing bump/spec maps, or just color?

aha, you are right about those pant legs! They are pretty much straight across there at the bottom. And those random verts behind the knees are left over from when I was doing the earlier version that had the muscle definition in it, and I forgot to delete those out. They were just there to help define the tendon on the back side of the knee. As far as other maps, i'm just limited to color maps:hmm: And don't think I haven't forgotten about the extra polys and suggestions you had made earlier, i'm gonna go through and add those now that i've got eveyrything put in there now!

the_podman: The character is only going to be doing run and walk cycles and that is it! So I don't think the edgeloops will be too much of a problem. But, like I said earlier, i'm probally gonna add some in there if it needs it....we'll see I guess!

As i've said before, thanks SO much for your guys' input! It really helps me out :thumbsup:

Well, soon on to rigging and stuff....it should be interesting, since I'm really a "hard object" and architecture modeler/texturist. Thanks again guys.

Wayne Adams
04-22-2005, 12:31 AM
I dig it, very GTA vice city to me for some reason, do a lounge chair small glass table and a corona and pose him.

Great work on making very few polys look good.

EDIT: although the fingers seem a little short and the hairline looks wig-like. the symetrical tiling of the hair in the back is a little obvious, BUT! these are not large problems. :) Good job, again.

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2005, 12:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.