PDA

View Full Version : Small Studio Setup - HELP

riyazgomes
04-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi...Im in the process of setting up my own small post studio and have a couple of questions...

Dvcam/betacam sp/sx recorders - the betacams are out of my range...can I get away with the sonyDSR-11 dvcam recorder....can it be used for reading and recording?? does it read and record the betacam format? Is there an alternative to this??

Editing video - We currently use a P4 with 1GB ram......I suppose we would need a realtime card of some sort for realtime playback......Is avid express with Mojo any good?...does it allow realtime editing of video on a standard P4?

Output to TV monitors - Broadcasts decks are way beyond our budget....can we use Tvzeka with a standard color TV??

Also...how does the Mac mini compare with the P4??...can it be used for editing with FCP??.....Our work will mainly involve ad work which i dont expect the footage to be too long.

Thanks

tsupka
04-15-2005, 12:15 AM
ok

dvcam and betacam are NOT compatible, even cassetes have very different sizes
you shoul deside wich format you will use mainly
will your sources be mostly video material on beta sp, or film digititized to digital beta or whatever, or if you have a small amount of matherial to work, you can rent some beta or dvcam desk for couple of hours to digitize material

now you can work in realtime in most apps without special card, stable quality I/O is more important

the best uncomperesed cheap system is Mac G4 (G5 is mach faster but G4 is now really unexpensive), SATA raid, some DeckLink card (depending of your needs) and FinalCut Pro, you cannot use iMac or Mac mini to edit anythig professional, on PC there are no so quality cheap and stable card at moment, decklink cards still have some bugs on pc

the normal situation in ad works is one hour of material uncompressed material to make 30 sec spot, so you will need a lot of disc space

if you want to use home TV to monitor signal, use some FireWire to analog converter like a canopus one, not TV Zeka and such stuff, but without professional brodcast monitor you will never be sure what you have right color

beaker
04-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Just rent whatever deck you need, forget buying one right now. Beta SP, Digibeta, etc.. decks all cost 5-20k+. Not worth investing in for a small start up. You can rent them for $150-$250 a day. You should have no problem paying that for a broadcast job that requires delivery on any of those formats.

beaker
04-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Oh, btw, for simple playback you can probably find a pretty cheap jvc or sony beta sp deck off ebay. It's the beta decks that record which break the bank.

riyazgomes
04-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys.....I spoke to a director friend abt this...apparantly out here in India most small studios just input and out the video as tga's.....and later convert to beta.

I guess that saves my money...:D

tsupka
04-15-2005, 06:45 PM
the better format for transfer of a big amount of videofiles if uncomperssed quicktime or avi

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2005, 06:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.