PDA

View Full Version : Studio setup....HELP!!

riyazgomes
04-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi...Im in the process of setting up my own small post studio and have a couple of questions...

Dvcam/betacam sp/sx recorders - the betacams are out of my range...can I get away with the sonyDSR-11 dvcam recorder....can it be used for reading and recording?? does it read and record the betacam format? Is there an alternative to this??

Editing video - We currently use a P4 with 1GB ram......I suppose we would need a realtime card of some sort for realtime playback......Is avid express with Mojo any good?...does it allow realtime editing of video on a standard P4?

Output to TV monitors - Broadcasts decks are way beyond our budget....can we use Tvzeka with a standard color TV??

Thanks

riyazgomes
04-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Can the mac mini be used for editing??......How does it compare with a P4 processor?

Most of our work is gonna be for ad films ....so im supposing that the footage would not be too big.

Thanks

marchermann
04-14-2005, 06:15 PM
1. DV and Beta are entirely different systems. The DSR-11 won't read or record Beta. If you work with MiniDV a lot (PD-170, XL1 etc.) then this will be ok. You can always hire Beta decks on a day-to-day basis.

2. For capturing and outputting to Beta and working with better quality than DV you might want to get an extra card, e.g. from Blackmagic. Or the external Aja IO (for Mac).

3. Don't get a Mac Mini, if you want to edit (professionally). Get the best G5 you can afford if you want to build a Final Cut Pro system. If you prefer sticking to PC, Avid XPress Pro with Mojo might indeed be a good choice. Just try to get a chance to evaluate both.

In any case, wait until after the NAB conference that's startig this weekend.

Marc

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2005, 06:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.