PDA

View Full Version : How often do you disagree with film reviewers?

Lunatique
04-14-2005, 04:02 AM
Do you sometimes read film reviews and wonder why you disagree so much with them? Films you thoroughly enjoyed received very low ratings at places like rottentomatoes.com, and the films you thought were poorly made were raved about by the critics. How often does that happen, and how does it make you feel when it happens? Do you wonder if the world is crazy and you're the only sane one, or do you wonder if you have bad taste?

-Vormav-
04-14-2005, 04:11 AM
All the time. I've gotten pretty used to it by now, so it doesn't surprise me anymore when I hear it.
I've never had to question my taste in movies though. There's some movies that a lot of people don't like that I'll be able to appreciate in some way - maybe for the cinematography, certain visual effects thrown in, or just for the plot - and I don't think that that brings my 'taste' to question. I can spot crap just as easily as (often times more easily than) others when it comes around. And if other people feel like embracing crap. Well, none of my business. :shrug:

erilaz
04-14-2005, 04:17 AM
There's a film reviewer in the newspaper here (The Age for those playing at home) that I disagree with so strongly I can almost guarantee that if he hates it, I'll love it.

ashakarc
04-14-2005, 04:23 AM
I'm not sure many would read the reviews after watching the movie, but say I read the review and ignore the rating if low and go and watch it. Yeh, most of the times, I feel like those reviewers base their evaluation of the movie on their expectations, while I don't carry much expectations when I go and see a movie, I just sit and enjoy my time. If it sucks, I excuse myself right away, or just go to Sleep mode.

[Blesst, is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.] Alexander Pope.

jbo
04-14-2005, 04:26 AM
I'm not sure many would read the reviews after watching the movie, but say I read the review and ignore the rating if low and go and watch it. Yeh, most of the times, I feel like those reviewers base their evaluation of the movie on their expectations, while I don't carry much expectations when I go and see a movie, I just sit and enjoy my time. If it sucks, I excuse myself right away, or just go to Sleep mode.

[Blesst, is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.] Alexander Pope.

but paying 10 bucks and expecting nothing... that doesn't seem right.

GOTgraphic
04-14-2005, 05:00 AM
Most often I wait for movies to come out on DVD, so I'll have heard all the critics/reviewers, comments from friends and have read opinions on bulletin boards on any given movie. By the time its out on DVD I have a fairly good idea if I'll like it. But the “official” media (TV and paper) critics I tend to ignore.

One movie who's critical reviews still has me baffled is The Hulk. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something or am too easily entertained but I love that movie (the only thing I didn't like about it is that small hole in the Frisco street that Hulk supposedly came up out of). I do however think the poor quality trailer that preceded the release hurt it big time.

ashakarc
04-14-2005, 05:29 AM
but paying 10 bucks and expecting nothing... that doesn't seem right.
Well, essentially, I learnt long ago how to enjoy the work of art (theatre, music, etc..) and I would rather go unprejudiced and leave the subjective judgement after the fact ;)

jmBoekestein
04-14-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm not even bothering to read all the reactions, I KNOW they'll be something like yes all the time!

The way I see it they get someone who seems to be able to pronounce a popular opinion, a common denominator. I'm not saying nobody has taste but I am saying that taste is somtimes a bit limited.

These guys just prattle on about a moovie while it takes weeks to completely analyse a movie, imagine all the work that went into all the fases. And now imagine you just sitting on the sofa enjoying a nicely nit work of art. These guys just take a peek and describe the entire country based on one small instance. It's silly.

I disagree with them all the time, mostly that started after tabloids started hitting the streets a while back, I suddenly found myself disagreeing with a lot of opinions and common tag along behavior. It's a silly meatshow somdays.

But there are the exceptions, but I wouldn't know nowadays because I simply don't read them anylonger. :shrug:

SpeccySteve
04-15-2005, 10:17 AM
The way I see it reviewers are people and people are strange, although sometimes I do find myself wondering if we even watched the same film.

( a recent example would be the guy sat behind me in college explaining to me that Alien vs Predator was a much better movie than either Kill Bill or The Lord of the Rings trilogy..)

Tonik
04-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Yep. One of my favourite movies is Vanilla Sky which doesn't have the hallmarks of a great movie - it stars Tom Cruise, is directed by Cameron Crowe and is a remake of a modern foreign language film. It's complex and interesting and I found it to be an emotionally moving film. The critics didn't see it that way and pretty much universally slammed it on it's release.

Most of the time though I agree with the reviewers in Total Film magazine.

jmBoekestein
04-15-2005, 02:52 PM
It's complex and interesting and I found it to be an emotionally moving film. The critics didn't see it that way and pretty much universally slammed it on it's release.

So...like uhm...2 hours tops and no complicated things 'n stuff? Hey, like I totally dig that man. :arteest:

StephanD
04-15-2005, 03:17 PM
I would probably have never seen Donnie Darko if it wouldn't be of my total lack of faith for movie critiques,either on the papers or online.

I really wonder why it had close to no visibility before it went out?...Could it be those "anticipated-bashes" we see too frequently or simply not enough credibility given to a young director?

MaDSheeP
04-15-2005, 03:28 PM
I find most critics are usually lowbrows, easily confused by deep plots. But I would be an easy critic, I can find good things in almost everything I watch. Becides, I'm watching a movie to enjoy myself :)

dmonk
04-15-2005, 04:22 PM
All the time. I just stopped reading them. If a company does a good enough job with the trailer to catch my attention, I'm usually going to go see it regardless. If it turns out to suck, it's my fault. That's a risk I choose to take.

I usually find something enjoyable about most movies. I don't take them too seriously, it's just entertainment.

Sil3
04-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Usually if crits say it sucks then they are on my list to see at cinemas, if they praise it i´ll watch them on DVD :)

Lookie
04-15-2005, 08:05 PM
I prefer to check user rating more than critic ratings. One thing always frustrates me with critic review is they often forget who the audieance is. I remember reading a few reviews on family orientated films and the critics were complaining the movie had too much comical elements to them, not scary enough, not bloody enough, etc. But they forgot it's intended for younger audiances.
I still don't quite understand how Birth get such a high rating and good reviews from the critics. :( I don't get that movie at all.

jbo
04-15-2005, 11:13 PM
I still don't quite understand how Birth get such a high rating and good reviews from the critics. :( I don't get that movie at all.

Birth got pretty horrible reviews... look on rottentomatoes... in fact, most of the movies that have been mentioned as well reviewed or badly reviewed are quite the opposite. there are always going to be good reviews and bad reviews for every movie, but really it sounds like the majority of critics agree with you guys.

ozhaver
04-16-2005, 02:18 AM
Mostly I disagree with films that are badly criticized because the critic is not cosmopolitan nor educated enough to be able to appreciate the movie out of his cultural paradigm. You cannot judge a film according to your culture if the film isn’t from your culture. You have to be able to be rid of your world bubble to give a good critique of a ‘foreign’ movie. Not everything is a response to the western/occidental cultural setting and the western/occidental view of the world isn’t the only ‘true’ perspective. Therefore the occidental view of reality is not always the right instrument to pass judgment about a film.

Zethriel
04-16-2005, 11:11 PM
I disagree almost with every critic I read.

jmBoekestein
04-16-2005, 11:26 PM
I disagree almost with every critic I read.

This man's a genious!

Name, rank and press afiliation...

csDevil
04-18-2005, 03:06 AM
actually it happened so frequently that I simply stopped reading reviews.
When there is money involved, I thrust no one.

Ryan-B
04-18-2005, 03:11 AM
When there is money involved, I thrust no one.

So you only thrust the ones you love?

csDevil
04-18-2005, 03:36 AM
So you only thrust the ones you love?
hahahaha
ok, i thrust people when money is involved. but they tend to be much more flexible, money bend their opinion too easily, like is really common to see in movies reviews.

ivanisavich
04-18-2005, 04:05 AM
I don't think you got the joke csDevil :P

Anyways...as for reviewers...I've got mixed feelings.

Rottentomatoes.com gave "the Amityville Horror" a terrible rating....yet I just came back from it tonight and thought it was great!

Lunatique
04-18-2005, 04:42 AM
I used to kind of trust rottentomatoes, since it's got so many different reviews in one place, but in just the past weeks, I've been shocked by how much I disagree with the average scores there. For example, recently, I saw that they gave An American Werewolf in London a high score, but I thought it was pretty stupid, with some glaringly bad decisions made by the director and writer.

They gave Elektra an extremely low score, and it was actually an entertaining and well-executed film. I mean, it's no masterpiece, but it's far from the piece of sh%t they say it is. It certainly was 10X better than Dare Devil.

The straw that broke the camel's back as Open Water. I simply cannot believe a horrible film like that got 70% at rottentomatoes. It was one of the worst films I've seen in a very long time. It has one of the worst cinematography I've ever seen--amateurish handheld digital video cam with bad framing (framed way too tight, all the time), lots of zooming (a huge NO NO in cinematography). The editing was absolutely horrible too--tons of useless and pointless shots that did not belong in the film. The directing was terrible too--it looked like there was no planning, no storyboard, and the director just went on the location and filmed a bit of everything and then pieced it together. The use of music made me want to slap the director. They had that "horror/thriller" synthesizer drone/swell/abrupt end cue during some parts that were in the WRONG place. You're supposed to do that to emphasize a certain plot change, or some kind of turning point (for the worse), but they just used it randomly and it looked/sounded ridiculous. Then there's the pacing. I cannot fathom anyone with such horrible taste that they can actually endure the full length of that abomination. The acting was...well, let's just say that I've worked on tiny budget indy films and I've seen better actors from local community theaters (this could also be the director's fault, since I've seen plenty of not-so-great actors made to look very good because the director knows what angles to shoot them at and what to do with them). The one thing that the film didn't suck at was the dialogues--they weren't too bad--kind of that documentary feel.

Brettzies
04-18-2005, 11:44 PM
I try not to read or see any reviews of a film until after I've seen it and made up my own mind, especially if I'm interested in the film. I just don't want any unconscious thoughts or preconceived notions lingering around while I'm watching it. I think it takes you out of the film, if in the back of your mind you are looking for certain things the reviewer said, even if they are right.

The only time I really care to read a review before seeing a film is if I'm not very interested in it, and I'm looking for a good reason to see it.

Movie going is a lot more then reviews and analysis. It's an experience. I think a lot depends on your mood going in whether you will like a film or not. Expectations have a lot to do with it as well. Sometimes you want to like a film so much, but it just doesn't do anything for you. Other times you're in the perfect mood to think a 1 star film is awesome. Other times, a film is just waaaay overhyped by the time you get around to seeing it, and you're left wondering what all the hub-bub was about.

No one can tell you what you like, only you can know that. In some cases, it just comes down to people feeling smart because they can point out the flaws in a film. Or the opposite, point out how utterly brilliant and unique something is.

rstratton
04-19-2005, 05:21 PM
I usually always disagree if its an action movie or a horror flick...especially with the action because the reviewers say it didn't have a story...we don't want one we went to see sh#* blow up and if you get what you went for then it was a good movie, just my opinion though

PatternRecognition
04-20-2005, 09:48 AM
I disagree with them all the time, mostly that started after tabloids started hitting the streets a while back, I suddenly found myself disagreeing with a lot of opinions and common tag along behavior. It's a silly meatshow somdays.

Quoted for agreement. I just watch movies I hear about from my friends, or things that seem to have potential *shrugs*

Peddy
04-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Wait....people agree with reviews? Since when?

jmBoekestein
04-21-2005, 07:11 PM
I just watch movies I hear about from my friends, or things that seem to have potential *shrugs*

Angryscientist, please go >>here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=230244)<< and help us out...PLIhihi-h-h:cry:ease....sob-sniffle...I have the same problem!

SpiralFace
04-21-2005, 07:27 PM
I pay attention more to the user reviews then the critic reviews. There are more of them and although it sometimes is chaotic becuase if someone liked the movie they gave it all A's and if they hated it they gave it all F's. But there are also the serious ones that give it a fair rateing. I tend to read those reviews first, and I try to findsomeone that basicaly brings up things that I find entertaining in movies like is the story too genaric, and if it is, does it have something else to make up for it?

But alot of times I find myself going to movies with friends that I had no intention of seeing simply becuase enough of them want to see it that we all just go out as a group and then do something else later. Some times I end up realy enjoying the movie that I thought was going to be utter garbage (iRobot for me.) But then sometimes I think the movie is going to at least be entertaining but it ends up to just be a waste of my money (Anchorman.) But I don't tend to mind becuase it tends to balance out in the end.

Boone
04-22-2005, 01:36 AM
When it comes to film, art, music, games etc then there is only one true judge - yourself.

However, when it comes down to making a selection about what to watch for the evening, my main concern is finding out roughly whether the film in question is my cup-o-tea or not.

A good example of a review would be "Paint your wagon". I'm not all that comfortable with musicals and would appreciate an good warning of that. I believe they highlighted this on an episode of The Simpsons. I expect a good review to tell me its a musical! :banghead:

The reviews that I have no time for are the ones that are "MY WORD IS LAW". Take for example, the ignoramous that wrote the recent review of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and stated that it was worse than "The Phantom Menace". Being as I rather enjoyed TPM, find this critic's opinion of very little value. Why they have to mention TPM when its not related to HHGTTG( in the sense of being a sequel or from the same producers ) is beyond me... :rolleyes:

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2005, 01:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.