PDA

View Full Version : Fog effects - 2D or 3D?

greyface
04-14-2005, 01:55 AM
Hey people - I'm working on a short movie, and although I can handle most of it quite easily I'm still a newbie when it comes to vfx. I have two questions:

1. What would be the best way to create fog/steam effects? I like working with seperate passes which gives me more control, but if I generated 3D fog, wouldn't that be hard to put in a seperate pass? And if I created 2D fog, I would need to have several different layers, in front and behind my characters? Is there a better way?

2. What kind of methods could I use to simulate old film effects? screen pops and blotches which appear in old films and sometimes in cinemas?

thanks for reading, any help is appreciated :)

desty

beaker
04-15-2005, 08:01 AM
1. What would be the best way to create fog/steam effects? I like working with seperate passes which gives me more control, but if I generated 3D fog, wouldn't that be hard to put in a seperate pass? And if I created 2D fog, I would need to have several different layers, in front and behind my characters? Is there a better way?It really depends on the look you are going for. Without actually knowing that it is hard to judge. Most of the time though, you can generate pretty good 2d fog by using a fake zdepth file from you render.

2. What kind of methods could I use to simulate old film effects? screen pops and blotches which appear in old films and sometimes in cinemas?I remember a long time ago(6-7 years ago) there was this plugin for AE/premiere called "Aged Film". No idea if it is still around. Just search the web for AE plugins that do this. I am sure there are a few out there.

greyface
04-15-2005, 10:53 PM
thanks for the help, I had forgotten about zdepth maps! I'll try that with 2D fog. I found some things on Aged Film effect, didn't know how people called it so - thanks for that too - will be looking around.

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2005, 10:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.