PDA

View Full Version : What defines and motivates our CG art?

JA-forreal
04-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Some of our current discussions about cg art in this forum has made me wonder how each cg artist really defines their approach to their craft.

I think that as a 3d commercial designer and producer I approach my craft more as an artisan than an artist. An artisan works to create functionally artistic objects, products, media, living spaces, etc. They use many media elements and concepts that are common to all artist. But their focus is often less "emotional" than an artist who creates works purely for visual entertainment, enjoyment, or contemplation.

Highly emotional visions and expectations of art have drawn many if not most artist here to CGtalk. Emotionally motivated artist drive the heart of the art process.

They take the lead and push the limits of art. Most concepts about art were invented for emotionally based artistic concepts. Even in their expressions of their craft they are driven by strong emotions and energies that just have to be expressed through their artwork.

In cg our artistic goals are our definitions by which we can be identified by. These gaols also express our viewpoints on matters. We show this in the way that we approach our work. We can mix the two types, both artisan and artist as a singular producer of artistic 3d or 2d projects. Or we can participate as a single artist who can be a key part of many parts that collectively work to complete an artistic project.

Many 3d artist hold down many jobs that cover modeling, painting, animation, lighting, camera work, programing, management, etc. They often have to approach their art logically or skillfully and are more apt to seek out processes than involve a heavy use to technology to complete a task. A digital painter can approach their work more naturally and free from the constraints of computer driven logic which gives them complete artistic freedom.

How do we define ourselves as cg artist? Do we think that "art is art" and differing technical aspects of cg are not a determining factor to the way we work as cg artist? Do we think that certain technical aspects of our art can hold back some of our creativity and limit our identity as pure artist? Do you think that cg art is only validated if it is based on emotional artistic concepts? How do you feel about cg art that is created purely for commercial purposes and do you consider these works as thought provoking art just as wall paper or road signs?

I think that definitions viewpoints can lead to understanding and help us to benefit from all of our experiences as cg artist. What do you think?

Lunatique
04-14-2005, 04:40 AM
I've noticed a trend among some of the artists working in CG--they only put their drawings/painting on their website, even though they also do modelling, textures..etc in their day job. For people like that, the only art that matters to them is the non-production stuff they do.

There are also people who put everything on their website, feeling that both their commercial work and personal works are important.

There are people who work as production artists in games, film, advertising..etc that don't do any personal work in their freetime. They like what they do on the job, and when they get off work, they lead a fairly non-artist life. For people like that, working in the industry is an accomplishment in itself, and they crave nothing else.

Then there are people who detest working as a production artist and have dedicated their lives to working as a solo artist for themselves, either commercially for clients, or as fine artists selling through galleries.

It's really different strokes for different folks. We all have different dreams and ambitions and priorities in life.

JA-forreal
04-15-2005, 05:22 AM
I have almost no time for personal artwork. And this does not work in my favor in giving me time to be motivated to do a purely artistic personal project. I attempt to treat my web design work as my own personal cg art. But it's not really personal.

I doodle with 3d models and sketches from time to time. The other day I brought up a topic on 3d lighting and I messed around with that a bit and created some toon styled art. I don't know where the ideas came from they just happened as I modeled. It ended up as a dual screen free standing monitor console that had two seats connected to the main console base below the front of each screen and some form of vented internal component casing extending from one side. I dumped it in my odds and ends model file. I figured that it would come in handy as a model for a real project or some funny 3d clip art later.

The model was completed in about 15 minutes. I could detail it for hours. Hehehe.

I imagine that we could draw or model many different small elements that could complete a more complex scene if we doodled more constructively.

Every time I visit CGtalk I always enjoy being greeted by the drawing and 3d renders and I want to get involved in a serious artistic WIP. It's very evident that CGtalk has the power to motivate us to be artistic in our personal lives as cg artist.

I'm starting to add writing online cg tutorials into my schedule. I guess that my tutorial writing will let me express myself and I can treat them a WIP of sorts too.

The first tutorial that I'm working on is fairly simple. I hope to keep it going and move onto a tutorial on character modeling and thus add a character to this tutorial. I'm not making any promises. I just want to have fun with something outside of my normal cg work. And I want to open it up to the cg community also. I think that this will work for me as I like telling stories with all of my cg work.

As far as 3d cg tutorial writing, simplifying your methodologies can be hard work in spots, but there is community fellowship behind it so it feels good. And that aspect gives me the motivation that I need to continue.

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2005, 05:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.