PDA

View Full Version : Finding inspiration in...Dreams!

StephanD
04-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Since we all share what inspires us I thought I'd give this a go.

Looking out for ideas a while ago,I was staring at a blank piece of paper(inspireful hein?),whirling subjects here and there in my head when it crossed my mind...Dreams!

If ever you can remember,interpret or just visualize it when you wake up,can mean an unlimited source of fantasist,emotional inspiration and sometimes a solid base for down to earth ideas too!...depending on the kind of dreams you have. ;)

Then I started remembering more and more of my youth's dreams(mainly nightmares).At the time those occured,I didn't really mean to do anything out of them except forgetting but now that I'm aspiring to make good art(or anything called art for that matter),I thought it would be a definite plus to add in my "Inspiration pipe"...if not a must.

Have you ever been inspired from them dreams?

Looking forward to your comments and always interesting discussions.

Cheers

.:ZRDwD:.
04-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Most of my pieces have been inspired from my dreams, whether it was one from last night or from when I was a tyke and I just can't shake it off.

That's one reason why I don't think many people care for my stuff (besides the nightmarish theme), because of the lack of or desaturated color scheme. I limit my colors in a piece; it will either have a sepia-like tone or near b/w with only one or two colors that are prominent. The colors that are very vivid in my dreams are the things that usually represent the strongest emotion. A dream of confusion usually results in the desaturated/sepia hue.

Alot of critics tend to base their opinion on a piece from a color theory, "the composition is ok, but the colors need quite an improvement" is what I usually get. If I change colors that aren't represented in a dream, then the piece isn't mine... it's what others want. Therefore, it's now their dream.

It seems that each dream has it's own hue, as mentioned earlier. Dreams of pleaure/sex result in a burgundy/lavander; fear results in a desatured yellow/orange; violence results in the inflicter's color being dominant, as well as the remainder being that of the "fear" color scheme, etc. But, when I come to a realization in the dream that it's all a dream, the hues begin to come more alive in a skin tone. When I fight to wake up out of the nightmare, the hues go through a chaotic shift, and the dominant colors tend to be whereever, whether it's the inflicter or a shift to the belt to the eyes to the sky, etc.

Gawd.. now I feel sleepy.....

R
04-13-2005, 03:34 PM
u are lucky, I never remember my dreams, only a once in a while, the good thing is that I never had a nightmare or something over and over :)

mireneye
04-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Aah, interesting subject!
Ive been working on a Book for very long time. Which was based upon a world which actually have been visioned by me in my dreams now a total of three times. That Book was not really finished *probably never will in its full glory* But I used the world as a module for a Roleplaying game. And after a while I felt very sure how every single aspect of the world worked. So, I moved on.. Started to creating the world as a Total conversion for mw... That was ongoing for about 2,5 years. We had about 50% of landmass done.. Huge amount of lore and beackground and stort. Npcs and such. And then, I continued moving... This time, I found people to create the world in its own game since the latter beacame to limiting to some parts of the vision. This has beacome an all my lilfe project. It is the reason why I continue modelling right now... Well I also create models beacuse its fun, but the main reason and my main ambition is that vision, my dream. And I keep remembering a Dream is'nt archivable but visions are. I awoke with that vision of the world, someday, ill realise it!.

Lunatique
04-14-2005, 04:51 AM
I've had some awesome dreams where the imagery is so vivid and fantastic that I woke up and sketched them out. They eventually become paintings of mine.

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2005, 04:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.