PDA

View Full Version : tutorial help

laiels
04-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi. I'm looking into possibly purchasing Messiah Animate. Anyways, I downloaded the demo and have been trying to go through the tutorials in the docs. Anyways, in the "advanced compose" tutorial, I'm suppose to go to the compose tab, then go to the "clips" subtab and then open the "Modify" block. But all I see is a "Bake" block. Can someone point me to where the "modify" is ? I can't seem to find it.

FB_Turbine
04-13-2005, 06:37 PM
There have been a lot of updates to compose and it seems the screen shots in the tutorial have not been updated. You won't see "add" until you have a clip to work with. To load a clip Right-Click on the "Clips" tab and select "Load Clip".

The fast way to get started on the Tutorial is to remeber to Right-Click

1. load scene

2. Select the Placement_Null and Right-Click and choose Group->New Group. Then in the new group dialog name it Trex and select Hierarchy.

3. Right-Click on "clips" under compose and load the clip

4. Go to "Match" and select "all Items" and then press "Exact"

5. Go to "tracks" Press "New Track". Select the track. At the bottom select the clip you loaded from the pop-up menu and pres "add"

Here you go.

laiels
04-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the help mate. Just 1 more question. IN the same "advanced compose tutorial"

http://img63.exs.cx/img63/1382/18us.jpg

I'm clicking on the little box like it says in the tutorial, but I don't get the different motion composition options. THe box is just empty. How do you do this? Is it just me, or are the docs pretty bad?

maks
04-13-2005, 10:53 PM
This has been defaulted to either absolute (=) or relative (+). The other option are well hidden now: hold down alt and click on the compensation column to the left with the middle mouse button :)

laiels
04-14-2005, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the help. Offtopic, does PMG ever intend on putting out some up to date docs? As a new user, how is someone supposed to learn how to use the app and it's interface when buttons/tabs/commands that exist according to the docs are longer there and/or moved somewhere else in subsequent updates? Even worse, how many people get put off by this, and avoid buying the software because of this. The first thing I do when I buy software, is try the demo. I go through the docs and do any tuts I can to see how I like the software. BUt if I can't get my head around the software and the interface because the docs are incorrect, I'm not going to buy the software. It's not like Messiah's interface is the clearest/simplest thing. At least not to me. Just ranting.

Leebre
04-14-2005, 04:09 AM
Us fellow greenhorns share your frustration, laiels. But don't despair...they are in fact working on updating the docs. We've started a few threads (here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=207460), here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=208016)) where we have specifically listed what areas in the docs need to be updated and as you can see from the second thread, they acknowledged the issues.
I almost gave up on the demo after a few tries because of the poor documentation. I'm very glad I didn't!

ThomasHelzle
04-14-2005, 05:31 PM
hahaha - the so called "advanced" compose tutorial must be one of the main reasons for nobody actually using compose. Who will ever need a tilted dinosaur? :rolleyes:

How many years now do we wait for a tutorial that uses something from the real world like imported bvh motioncapture data that is blended smoothly into an existing rig?

I never got that to work.

:wavey:

Back to my cave it is... ;)

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2005, 05:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.