PDA

View Full Version : How to make Grid

Pretorian
04-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Wich is the best way to make grid in Photoshop? I saw one way by defining a pattern, and then applying the pattern in the image. I was wondering if there is another way?

Thanks

levi
04-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Here's a handy little plugin, just for the occasion. Load it into your Plugins directory, it works from the Select menu.
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/download.php?id=476

Pretorian
04-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks levi, that's exactly what I was looking for!

I only have to use it right now, but seems it doesn what I need. I saw it makes the grid in diferent ways, like selection and path. How can I make the squares in one color and the grid lines in a diferent color, without paiting one by one? Action?

Thanks

levi
04-13-2005, 10:11 PM
How can I make the squares in one color and the grid lines in a diferent color, without paiting one by one? Action?

Probably the easiest way is to use the Layer option, which will create the gridlines on their own layer, in whatever your foreground color is. Then fill the background layer with whatever color.

mdwsr
04-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Thanks levi, that's a handy plugin.

pixelchemist
04-14-2005, 02:06 PM
just curious... why do you not want to use the pattern method?

Pretorian
04-14-2005, 06:51 PM
I thought that might be the possibility that someone could know a diferent way to make grid, and levi gave the solution from this plugin!

Just that! :)

davpunk
04-15-2005, 03:26 PM
you can control all your grid options in the preferences...just turn your grid on...if you need an image of it, screen grab it.

Pretorian
04-18-2005, 05:39 AM
Can I control the space between the retangles by using the default grid from Photoshop?

Thanks

madart
04-18-2005, 07:02 AM
You go to Preferences - Edit - Grid - there you will find different settings for the grid. You can snap to the grid or not snap to it. Go to View - Snap to - Guides

Pretorian
04-18-2005, 07:18 AM
Seems I get a little hard work to do the grid in this way (each by each, is this right?), but it worked.

davpunk: I don't know if I'm getting stupid in Photoshop but, how would I "if you need an image of it, screen grab it"? I didn't understood the "screen grab it" part?

Thanks

madart
04-18-2005, 08:30 AM
For me the grid in Photoshop, is more an aid when I'm working. Either to get the middle of the image, or when I'm working with textures and I need the power of two. Or if I want something placed at specific points in the image etc. I also use it to make a checker pattern or soemthing similar, whenever I need it. I make one repetition and then define pattern.

For the screen grab, I think davpunk means for you to press ALT and Print Screen and then paste it into your document/image. You will then have an image of the grid.

XepptizZ
04-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Uber handy, My thnx you too. I design graphics(textures) for game-levels so this is just perfect to get those binairy lines.

davpunk
04-18-2005, 09:15 PM
In the grid settings of PS you can change the settings of the grid to whatever increments you want to use. There is style, color, gridline which you can change to mm, pixels inches or whatever and create a subdivision of whatever you want, so you can custom make your own grid to whatever you want it to be. If you want the grid to be an actual pixel image that you can paint on, take a screengrab of photoshop, paste it in, and crop the grid out, then paste that into your document...not sure why you would need it, but you asked. :P

Ghostscape
04-19-2005, 12:17 AM
IMO the easiest way is to use the define pattern method, which, for the uninitiated, looks like this:

decide on a grid size/style.

create a new document that is the size of one grid "tile" (if you want a basic grid, one block on the grid. If you were making a checkerboard pattern, the topleft 4 squares), minus the right and bottom edges.

make your grid tile.

go to edit-define pattern, and name the sucker something useful.

go to the fill paintbucket tool and change "foreground" in the options to pattern, and find your pattern in the pattern browser.

fill your selection/document/whatever with your grid.

With this method you can create pretty much anything you're looking to create. Another method I use for quickly repeating an element (like ventilation slits, or a grid) is to duplicate the layer the element is on (alt-leftclick-drag it into position), merge down (ctrl-e), and then repeat as needed, and then delete the ones I don't need (because this method gives you 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 etc of whatever you're duplicating).

I don't think you're going to find a method of creating complex grids that is any easier than the pattern definition method...it can be used to create hex grids and other grids too, if you think about how the grid is structured.

Pretorian
04-20-2005, 03:21 AM
This last "method" seems to be interesting. I tried it, by leaving the lines on the right side and in bottom. It gets a better look!

The plugin levi said works fine too, but, if I'm in a place where I don't have the plugin, this "althernative" method is a big help!

Thanks guys!

XepptizZ
04-20-2005, 09:58 PM
What hte......?

I just wanted to try it out and when I try to open the zip it tells me the file might be corrupt.

Anyone who did get the right one? Can he send it to me at xepptizz@yahoo.com ?

Pretorian
04-21-2005, 12:48 AM
You mean the grid plugin?

XepptizZ
04-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Yeah, the grid plug-in. Levi sent it to me (Thanks) and this time it opened without a hitch.

XepptizZ
04-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Srry for the double post, but....

How can I get the plug-in to work? I couldn't find a plug-in section meant for the filetype and makin a new plug-in folder didn't work either.

levi
04-24-2005, 06:29 PM
If you're using PS7 or CS, just load it into your default plugin directory. The plugin works from the Select Menu under Other... How it works is self-explanitory.

XepptizZ
04-25-2005, 02:30 AM
Heh, thnx. That did the trick. My knowledge goes as far as "I know what the buttons do".

Pretorian
04-25-2005, 05:16 AM
XepptizZ: all things working now? :)

XepptizZ
04-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Yeah, it's all up and runnin properly.

Great plug-in. Anyways, I only use PS to create textures to use in my maps (level design) for now. And for level design it's ideal to have textures/parts of textures in powers of 2 for the pixels.

I know this is totally not impressive for all you uber 1337 photoshoppers (my jaw kept droppin on the floor while watching the galleries)

But here's my first made texture for my level design thing (it's small, coz it's for a pretty old game)

http://forums.unrealplayground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27460&stc=1

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2005, 06:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.