PDA

View Full Version : Scanning paintings ?

Schwinnz
04-13-2005, 05:41 AM
Does anyone know how to scan paintings. I have an acrylic I did for some website menu and the colours are just way too bright, can't be corrected via touch up.

Any ideas ?

slaughters
04-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Don't use a flat bed scanner. Use a digital camera. That way you can control the light conditions when you take the picture.

If you're using a flat bed and you have PhotoShop just use the Image Level Adjustment settings.

jmBoekestein
04-13-2005, 04:13 PM
If you have a 48-bit scanner you'd be best of adjusting levels in the scanner software before it scans the image into 24-bits. Much safer! 8-bit is too low a bit depth to do enough with adjustments.

.:ZRDwD:.
04-13-2005, 05:05 PM
I've wondered this myself.

My scanner is only 14in in length, but my paintings can be poster size. Trying to scan them results in sloppiness in right angles and reflections off of raised areas. I do not have a digicam, but have taken pictures of my art before, and can not stand the results. It seems to pick up on "ghosts": fingerprints, brushstrokes, shadows (from raised areas of paint). And I can NEVER get it to come out in a right angle. It will appear perfectly aligned in view, but when I get it developed... waste of film... image will be at a perspective and not centered.

I'm at work at the moment, but I know there are a couple sites out there that have tutes on "how to photograph your art". Quite informative, but it appears I suck at it.

frontosa
04-13-2005, 05:09 PM
I would go for the digital camera and use the image from there, maybe some adjustments are needed in photoshop afterwarts. Somehow paintings produced this way seem more natural than scanned ones, but thats just my opionion.

Schwinnz
04-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Funeral laugh I don't know what kind of camera you use but I'd suggest using the lowest angle you phisically can (available space). Doing so will reduce the perspective. I've photographed a bunch of flat things like walls and that's the only advice I have.

Outside light is also the most predictable and smoother if you don't have access to studio lighting, only problem is that you have to wait for the good weather ;) . I wish I had a numeric camera. :cry:

.:ZRDwD:.
04-13-2005, 07:15 PM
I have a Canon Rebel X 35mm. And go outside (weather permitting :rolleyes: ).

I tried the tutes online about how to get everything set-up, but if it's not one thing, it's the other.

I've now come to the conclusion to just take them to the gallery here in town and have them take one for me (for a phenomenal fee). But it's the only way I know to get it done right and on schedule so I can get the image up at max rez to get a print done online.

Traditional art is such a bitch to handle when needing prints.

Lunatique
04-14-2005, 03:54 AM
Shoot with a digital camera, and make sure your light souce is from the sides, not in front of the painting (to eliminate glare). If you use artificial lighting, make sure you tweak the White Balance correctly. Also, diffuse your light source as much as possible to soften the light quality.

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2005, 03:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.