PDA

View Full Version : Infogrames firing 60 % of its employees in France

toma
10-01-2002, 05:18 PM
Hi all,

Well I was just wondering when this could stop... I work in a tiny company that has had big financal difficulties, and a lot of tiny video games and new technologies companies have closed their doors since one year in France.

Here is a french version of this article seen on www.lemonde.fr

French article (http://www.lemonde.fr/article/0,5987,3234--292372-,00.html)

Here is an english version of the same (home made...) :

English article (home made translation) (http://tartopoms.free.fr/html/article.html)

I don't know what is that leading to...

toma.

artifish
10-02-2002, 10:59 AM
well, it's the same over here in germany. many (mainly small) game companieswent broke, too. actually i am not too much involved into gaming, but there were a LOT of postPro-cg-companies (and not only small ones) that had to deal with insolvency, too. and the others cut staff to survive. actually this seems to be a general trend, not only restricted to media companies...
the sad thing is, I don't have clue at all, when this is going to stop - I remember 1 or 2 month ago many people thought it would go up again, but apparently we've got to wait for some time, till this trend stops.

hope, we don't have to wait this long...

cheers, carsten

-JT-
10-02-2002, 11:19 AM
In utero, Ex machina, Kalisto, Infogrames and a lot more....
It's really sad because those companies were generating lots of creativity and talents here in France, let's hope the situation improves real soon.

erilaz
10-02-2002, 01:44 PM
How odd... I had the impression business was going well for Infogrames. The Australian branch was doing very well for itself when I saw it last.

toma
10-02-2002, 01:47 PM
Yes you're right erilaz, in US too if I remember well.
But not in France :)

as for me, I'm seriously thinking of leaving the tiny company I work in, even if I guess it is not the right moment to leave a company...

argggggg but if things happened always as you wished, it would not be funny.

As for the general health of high-tech companies, well it seems lots of questions are only beginning to being asked... All that money, speculation etc...

Is Captalism bursting ?

toma.

artifish
10-02-2002, 02:58 PM
well, i wouldn't go as far to say capitalism is bursting, but it sure has become evident that there needs to be more control in terms of how feasible and creadible certain projects are.
uhh, and btw. i'd advice you just quit your job in case you have a new one - i made the decision to leave my former company without having one (they lured me with a terminal bonus) and i don't regret that step, but i just didn't thought it would be SO difficult to find a new job.

cheers, carsten

toma
10-02-2002, 03:07 PM
Yep, thanks artifish for your advice.
I already know that actually, that's why I'm actively looking for something new, and I may have 2 or 3 serious propositions...but this would no longer be in 3D or multimedia world...

Anyway, I'm bored of being paid as if I was cleaning ground (which is not a shame, I'm not criticizing) or typing letters all day...

I think i may have the lowest salary of all french 2D and 3D artists lol so time to change !!!

toma.

KiboOst
10-02-2002, 03:19 PM
Yeah I'm just quitting my job too, thinking going on the freelance way here in france. But time is hard for web/3d/multimedia, so I'm asking myself to stop 3d and helm another way :shrug:

Kib

toma
10-02-2002, 03:28 PM
It seems it's hard to get the freelance way here in Frane, unless you go out from Supinfocom or Emile Cohl schools.

And I have no diplomas at all... So I guess I'll try to find work as network administrator : let's go for a Linux install ;) !

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow I'm fed up with my employer :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

KiboOst
10-02-2002, 04:11 PM
I don't think you need diplomas, but experience and sure, contacts ! Sure a beginner mustn't go into freelance. I also think they shouldn't be more beginner atm, because they sure won't find any job. "I've download max, tell me how to work at ILM" have never worked, and sure won't never héhé

toma
10-02-2002, 04:32 PM
Oh yeah...

Of course I understand what you say KiboOst, even if that was not really what I meant.

I mean, I don't expect at all to work at ILM for the moment (maybe in some centuries), but argggg at least a decent work as 2D or 3D artist. Of course I need to show what I'm capable of, and this is what blocks me : I still can't find the motivation to work hard on it...

Anywa :), I believe in hope

toma.

baby
10-02-2002, 04:33 PM
for 3D in France.

With Cryo also waiting to close,

the market will be soon filled with unemployed artists.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

krisr
10-03-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by baby
for 3D in France.

With Cryo also waiting to close,

the market will be soon filled with unemployed artists.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

soon filled......already filled if you ask me. Demo reels are piling up at the door and there just aren't any more jobs.

raffael3d
10-03-2002, 10:39 AM
the problem is that most games and films are still produced in the USA, Japan or now New Zeland (lord of the rings), I'm not sure, but I think a game industry does not really exist in Europe.
Post Production yes, but the amount is also limited. The problem there is also in the small film indsutry. There aren't also many people that in invest in that area.
Well....

toma
10-03-2002, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure at all of what you're saying raffael3d, but anyway...
I just wanted to add another company that has died in France : Cryo.

Read the french comment here : http://www.gamekult.com/finances/article.html?cArticle=A0000021042

Munson
10-03-2002, 01:20 PM
infogrames are failing because they are a bunch of moron`s who never did know how to :
A) run a games company
B) be a publishing company
C) market anything properly

when you add that up with the fact they bought out companies who were themselves failing then it was always a recipe for disaster. I just feel sorry for the many artist/programmers that got shafted in all of this. As for the suits, they deserve to be out on the streets !

and no, I never worked for them, just know how they opperate.

bentllama
10-04-2002, 06:49 AM
There is always Ubi Soft isn't there?

SheepFactory
10-04-2002, 06:55 AM
I am sad that Cryo is no more :(

do you guys remember the game Cyberia? , it was awesome

SlipKorn
10-04-2002, 07:16 AM
Yes, Ubi Soft...have you all seen Splinter Cell. Holy crap that game looks freaking amazing.

~sk

bentllama
10-04-2002, 07:19 AM
Have you played it? It is kinda fun. I played a build awhile ago and it seems pretty cool. Can't wait till it is out so I can check it out more in depth.

And don't forget Rayman...the artwork surprises me every new rev...

baby
10-04-2002, 08:14 AM
feeding me since 1998 !!!!!!!!! :beer:

www.splintercell.com (full site late)

www.hoodlumsworld.com (full site late)

toma
10-04-2002, 08:26 AM
Yes benttlama,

Yes Ubi IS still, and I live in a town where they have an office. I have to contact them cause I can't stand anymore to work where I am today... Anyway about Splinter Cell looks damn good :D I just can't wait to see it moving with my own eyes.

And I've heard of another game company that's being founded by former Infogrames employees in La Réunion...humm...

toma.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.