PDA

View Full Version : PhotoShop CS Alpha Channel problem

TheShow
04-12-2005, 04:47 PM
I apologize if this is a duplicate thread, I couldn't find this issue in another topic so here goes. . .

I upgraded to PhotoShop 8 (CS) from version 7 and it no longer opens png and tga files with a transparent background. It does import the alpha channel, but doesn't do the extra step of removing the negative space for you. My copy of 7 still does this step perfectly, but CS will not. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Rapier
04-12-2005, 06:33 PM
I have had the same problem, and have even looked for options in the Preferences section, but I can not find any way to fix it. The only solution I have found is to select the alpha channel in the Channels pallet and then delete. Actually, I find it more of a pain than anything else. The only other option is, since I am imagining you are working with normal NTSC or the like renders in size is to use a compositing package like After Effects to get that result.

Can't help you much, but I do share the same feelings.

halo
04-12-2005, 06:36 PM
its because the plugin for 7 was new and before 7 the background wasn't removed. When adobe sprung the background removal on people in 7 there was so much uproar with upset workflows that they offered an updated plugin and changed it back for v8.

You can always create an action to do it anyway and tie it to an F key to make it easier.

The steps you need to do are "load selection" from the channel (invert selection maybe necessary depending on your demands) then make the background into a layer and hit delete.

TheShow
04-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Thank you so much for the advice - Adobe had it right in 7. Bad Adobe, Bad. The lack of that feature will ruin my opinion of CS. They should make it optional if there is that much of a fuss about it.

TheShow
04-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Can I load the 7 plug-in into CS? -=edit=- Yes you can!

halo
04-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Thank you so much for the advice - Adobe had it right in 7. Bad Adobe, Bad. The lack of that feature will ruin my opinion of CS. They should make it optional if there is that much of a fuss about it.

well yes and no...strictly speaking they made it correct by the .tga standards in 7 (according to their interpretation)...however the whole world and his wife was used to the way before...especially if you consider that transparency only arrived in v3 and targas have been around a long time before that...even other adobe apps weren't in sync with 7's treatment of targas. On another point it made premultiplied alpha targas difficult to generate inside PS.

It is better this way around ;)...but i'm glad you found a solution :)

In fact your right, an option keeps everyone happy...but adobe don't like options for some reason...something that bugs the piss out of me on certain features.

TheShow
04-13-2005, 02:56 AM
It seems to haev a similar problem with png files. However it could be that Maya is not saving the alpha channel with pngs. tga seem to work fine though.

halo
04-13-2005, 07:59 AM
never come across that i'm afraid, i dont use PNG's...tried tiffs?

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2005, 07:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.