PDA

View Full Version : LW modeler a necessity?

artmann
04-12-2005, 01:33 PM
I am about to start off a project, in wich i am forced to use Lightwave.
I have had a hard time switching being so used to maya and having "grown up" on max.

Though I am beginning to see the light, Lightwave really has a bunch to offer!

Itīs just the modeler I canīt get used to. I have spent weeks modeling trying to get into it, even tho itīs really powerful with a nice workflow right there, I just canīt get used to it, and time is catching up here...

So my question is basically, is it really necessary to use modeler nowadays Layout got itīs bone tools and such? Can you really use Lightwave as a "standalone" animation, fx and rendering tool? Or are there still tasks that absolutely HAS to be done in modeler?
Can I get screwe*later on down the line? Whatīs your opinion?

Would really help me if I could model in Maya, as well as designing blendshapes etc there and import them. Would save me a lot of time!

Any opinion apreciated!

toonafish
04-12-2005, 02:08 PM
What can I say. Personaly I prefer LW modeler over modeling in Maya even though it doesn't support Ngons for Subdees and has no edges, but that's very personal. So, if you prefer to model in Maya, you should go ahead and just do that. But if you wanna use LW modeler, there's a huge amount of free plugins you could try that improve the workflow in modeler a lot. Flay.com is the best resource for Lightwave plugins and news.

vonbon
04-12-2005, 02:15 PM
I may be wrong but I think the "Blendshape" stuff is like using "Endomorphs" in LightWave.

artmann
04-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Please make no mistake, I do realize Lightwaveīs modeler is awesome.

Itīs just i am so stressed for time and would prefer if I could get away with modeling in Maya for this project. I have a hard time getting accustomed to modeler due to my background, or it could be that I am just plain stupid.

My main question is if you will run into serious workflow issues? Like there are things you absolutely have to do in modeler?

Thanks for replying!

proton
04-12-2005, 02:29 PM
For the most part you should be ok modeling in Maya and animating and rendering in LW.

You cant create vertex maps in layut tho:

UV, Weight, New Surface Names, etc.

other then that you should be set

artmann
04-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Kinda what I needed to hear....

But weight maps, arent really a necessity either right? Canīt I just use those falloff values in Layout instead? Together with some hold bones, driven displacement maps (gradients)?
Even skelegons doesenīt seem necessary any more (in [8])?

That would leave the UV mapping then... Wonder if that is pertained if exported from Maya?
I suppose it should be.. anyways I will find out for sure

Thanks Proton

c-g
04-12-2005, 02:56 PM
I may be wrong but I think the "Blendshape" stuff is like using "Endomorphs" in LightWave.

No, for blendshapes you need to have a copy of the geometry with the morphed changes and you target that shape. Endomorphs are alternate vertex locations all in one chunk of geometry. It is really hard to believe that Maya hasn't rolled this concept into the last three major revisions.

Steve Warner
04-12-2005, 03:05 PM
But weight maps, arent really a necessity either right?
Correct. If you set your falloff to 128 and enable the "Use Faster Bones" in the Bone Properties panel, you should be able to rig without any weightmaps. If, after placing your pose bones and hold bones you still find that you're getting unwanted deformation, you can go back to Modeler and paint in weight maps.

Even skelegons doesenīt seem necessary any more (in [8])
That's correct. The new Bone Tools enable you to rig quickly and easily right in Layout.

That would leave the UV mapping then... Wonder if that is pertained if exported from Maya?
It should be. I don't use Maya, but I do know from working with ZBrush that OBJ files do retain UV maps.

Hope that helps,

Steve

angus1965
04-12-2005, 03:19 PM
I am about to start off a project, in wich i am forced to use Lightwave.
I have had a hard time switching being so used to maya and having "grown up" on max.

Though I am beginning to see the light, Lightwave really has a bunch to offer!

Itīs just the modeler I canīt get used to. I have spent weeks modeling trying to get into it, even tho itīs really powerful with a nice workflow right there, I just canīt get used to it, and time is catching up here...

So my question is basically, is it really necessary to use modeler nowadays Layout got itīs bone tools and such? Can you really use Lightwave as a "standalone" animation, fx and rendering tool? Or are there still tasks that absolutely HAS to be done in modeler?
Can I get screwe*later on down the line? Whatīs your opinion?

Would really help me if I could model in Maya, as well as designing blendshapes etc there and import them. Would save me a lot of time!

Any opinion apreciated!

Since time is of issue here, and your speed/skill are currently with Maya; I would recommend that you do what you need to do in Maya and export as .obj to be imported in to Modeler. If you need to make endomorphs (blend shapes) then you can export the blends as well and then use some utils in Modeler to creat the e'morphs.

Then, when you are beyond you current project - go back and learn modeling in LW - I think once you get used to it, and are relieved of the time pressures, you will really enjoy it.

-R-

artmann
04-12-2005, 03:29 PM
I will surely give modeler some serious work, once finished with this project. Itīs a promise :)
I have discovered enough briiliance and speedy workflow in LW to get me addictive.

But then obviously the kind supporting community surrounding LW kinda helps getting you in that mood too ;)

Thanx+ guys

johnnyh66
04-12-2005, 05:26 PM
I'd have to agree with Randy. Import your model into LW (modeler) and edit from there. I think if you don't use weight maps with your bones you'll be pulling your hair out latter.

faulknermano
04-13-2005, 01:54 AM
For the most part you should be ok modeling in Maya and animating and rendering in LW.

nice and interesting to hear this, given the fact that i always hear it the other way around. :D

artmann: when you do have time, i highly recommend investing some time and effort in lw modeler. i dont think it would be in vain. ;)

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2005, 01:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.