PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Ice Egg

moroten
10-01-2002, 02:42 PM
Hi all,

Here's a little animation I'm been doing lately. It's a homage to a certain CG character of a certain CG movie. Watch and find out for yourself!

http://www.danielnygren.com/iceegg.mpg

File size ~12 mbs, I hope you like it.
If the server is too slow, my friend pchan has also kindly mirrored the file at his site: http://pchan.cgworks.com/daniel/iceegg.mpeg

Have fun!

Regards,
Daniel

stipen
10-01-2002, 03:01 PM
Very funny and well done!!
Great Job:thumbsup:

Plop
10-01-2002, 03:23 PM
hehehe ..... :D

nice job !!

Edge
10-01-2002, 03:23 PM
Haha, well done indeed.

You captured the camera shots pretty well comparing the original.
Great sound FX by the way.

Cheers. :D

Ezz
10-01-2002, 03:50 PM
Very Nice....Nice chicken!!!

Ezz

urgaffel
10-01-2002, 04:46 PM
Well done lad! You know I like it. Lets hope the mirror holds up ;)

BrainFaucet
10-01-2002, 05:14 PM
HAHAH

that's great!:thumbsup:

Grayscale
10-01-2002, 06:25 PM
Wonderful job. Definately had me and my students laughing. Can't wait to see some more spoofs coming from you. You got it down pat.
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

aurora
10-01-2002, 07:25 PM
:bounce: Bravo:beer:
After a completely mentally draining day, which is only half over for me, this made up for it. The look and feel made it seem like it should be something we would expect to see during the ahh, un-named movies closing credits.
GOOD JOB.
Are you guys working on any other spoofs?

Indigo
10-01-2002, 08:29 PM
Very very nice...
reminds me of the Chicken Run

probably 'couse of the chicken involved :wip:

himizu
10-01-2002, 08:45 PM
that was very well made. it captures the feel of the Ice Age movie very well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

toma
10-01-2002, 08:54 PM
:love: Moroten, I Lllllllllllllllllllllove it :love:

Totitch
10-01-2002, 09:40 PM
Great job! Very good Animation! :thumbsup:

Hope to see more soon!!! ;)

moroten
10-01-2002, 09:48 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments, people! Currently I'm thinking of my next short, I got some pretty nice ideas, but they better be practically feasible too, resourcewise. I'm just a guy with a PC (and some valuable friends!) and I'm not too keen on giving up my social life for a backbreaking, overly complex short.
'Ice Egg' is a good example of a feasible short, made just by myself, in a relatively small amount of time: one character, one prop, one gag. And judging by your comments, it seems to be working.

Once again, thank you so much for your kind support, you're making it all worthwhile.

-Daniel

Chong
10-01-2002, 09:56 PM
It's a cute spoof :)
Some of the timing could have been better, but it did it's job well. Nice going.
:thumbsup:

Mattoo
10-02-2002, 01:01 AM
I really like it. Especially the way you mimicked the environmental effects and stuff.

Just one thing (said in your best Columbo voice), where/how did you come up with the character design? The reason I ask is because there are elements that are virtually identical to a project a friend and I are working on. Particularily the tail feathers.
I was just wondering out of interest if your inspiration was the same as mine?

I guess chickens are in vogue right now.... :shrug:

Quick render:

fbmar
10-02-2002, 03:36 AM
Man this is a really impressive jog...

nice modeling...

Mangaka604
10-02-2002, 05:15 AM
I must say, the animation in your spoof is quite well done. I only have one complaint which is he doesn't blink enough. When he looks down, he's changing focus. Anytime you change focus, you generally blink. Also, when you turn your head side to side, you blink. If you didn't, you'd probably get dizzy. But small nitpicking. Excellent work! :applause:

Keep it up!

pants
10-02-2002, 06:52 AM
:applause: :applause: :applause:

terrific!

D. Phoenix
10-02-2002, 07:06 AM
Moroten - Superb!

I really enjoyed this piece, especially the sniffing motion the chicken does while his eyes shift around. Very unique and well done.

The little subtle things like the the increasing cracks in the egg and the sniffing make all the difference.

-D. Phoenix

lmc
10-02-2002, 07:35 AM
welldone:thumbsup:

Galo
10-02-2002, 07:40 AM
Whehehe what's that audition of Ice age :D he didn't get the job though :wip:

clusterfuq
10-02-2002, 08:24 AM
very nice man. animation is stop on. how long did it take? it's very similar to what i'm starting to do for my final year project at uni and i could do with some advice. what aps did you use?

fxgogo
10-02-2002, 10:36 AM
Well done. It is a very good parody of Ice age.

arvid
10-02-2002, 11:17 AM
Cool! :thumbsup:

sketchguy
10-02-2002, 12:43 PM
Too funny!

I did the 3d layout for the opening sequence of the film and was hoping to see your interpretation for the entire scene! You pretty much nailed the camera angles. Nice job! :thumbsup:

Love the name "Spare Time Studios" too. :D

moroten
10-02-2002, 02:22 PM
Wow sketchguy, to get praise from an original Ice Age crew member gotta be the pinnacle of praise! I wonder what director Chris Wedge would say, now that "his" voice is in my short and all.

Mattoo - I just made a paper sketch of the chicken and nailed the design pretty much instantly. Of course, it could be more worked upon, but I wanted to keep clear and simple. The obvious source of inspiration would be Chicken Run, but there's a lot of differences as well. I never 'studied' Chicken Run chickens, they were just in the back of my head, I guess. Basically, it's a typical cartoon chicken, with big eyes and simple coloring, but I would say your design is more original and corny! I'm wondering about the desired range of expression of your chicken's face - if those huge eyes are always that huge, will they be able to convey joy, sadness, boredom? Or maybe the shot is of an extreme morphtarget?

clusterfuq - I spent about two condensed months of work, spread out over a period of four months. I could only get a couple of hours here and there, and a couple of weekends. I used Max for modeling & animation, Photoshop for textures, Sound Forge for sound editing and Afterfx for compositing. However, I would seriously reconsider my choice of 3d software as Max was giving me a really hard time with simple things like animatable object linking to the biped (=grabbing, moving and releasing multiple objects). I've been doing much more animation in Maya lately and the toolset is a lot more robust and intuitive than Max', even if Character Studio has some nifty functions.
Mangaka604 - you're absolutely right, he blinks too little. Didn't occur to me. Won't happen again!

One more thing, people - I'm looking for a better job than my present one, so if you need an extra animator, or if you know some company that does, you know who to call! Resume sent upon request.

Take care!
-Daniel

Mattoo
10-02-2002, 05:53 PM
Hi Moroten,

Just thought it'd be weird if you'd taken the same influences as I had but I guess not... which is cool :beer:

I tried to avoid the Chicken Run look as much as possible, mostly borrowed ideas from the third Monkey Island game and Foghorn Leghorn.
i'm not too concerned with the facial expression range, it's meant to be fairly expressionless. The animator wanted to emphasis the character through the body and not have to rely on the face.

I'm left wondering how many more chicken based cartoons are on their way......:hmm: I suppose chickens and monkeys are comedy short-hand for funny animal.

Oh I forgot to mention, I particularly like the way you did the mad wing flapping at the end. Nicely controlled, it could've looked too random.

Carina
10-02-2002, 06:49 PM
HAHAHA moroten.

It's funny, cause I didn't (as I never do) read the actual post before I viewed the animation, and I was thinking that it was very similar to Ice Age just after a few seconds.

It's brilliant.

Really made me laugh.

Fun stuff!
:thumbsup:

moroten
10-02-2002, 08:30 PM
Mattoo - you mean the "Puerto de Pollo" town in MonkeyIsland3 ? Those chickens were cool. And the 'mad wing flapping' was hard to animate. I had to try and stand on a small, rickety chair to get an idea of how a character moves when he's out of balance. It's a bit like breakdancing, if you know what I mean.

Carina - thanks for your kind words, glad you liked it. I'm really baffled that everyone's liking it and noone's giving me tough criticisms. Again, thanks!

-Daniel

ryguy
10-02-2002, 09:26 PM
Great job, love the animation! :beer:

clusterfuq
10-03-2002, 12:45 PM
cheers for the info mate, i'm looking at using maya as i have the choice (that and max). how easy is the transistion between 3dmax and maya? from a learning point of view?

once again, really good work.

:applause:

moroten
10-03-2002, 05:35 PM
Oh... that is a big question, and one that belongs in some other thread, I guess. I found Maya annoying at first, just like many other people with any app transition. Max has a clarity about object creation topology (the modifier stack) that Maya hasn't. Instead, Maya relies on the notion of "connected nodes with properties" which applies to pretty much everything. If you model a character, texture it, skin it and animate it, this will build up a pretty complex "network" of nodes which send and recieve information that makes up your scene. You can view and edit this network in the Hypergraph editor, but most times you can ignore it, just like you can ignore most of what goes on under Max's hood.
I'm mentioning this because it's a good example of the differences in the programs. They're both great programs with their own pros and cons, but what I like about Maya is the hands-on feeling of dealing with your models and textures. It's a lot more direct. Meshmodeling and mapping in Max is okay but it doesn't have the same intuitive directness to it. And let's not talk about animation - Mayas' Graph editor is insanely pleasant from an animators' point of view. Haven't tried Max5's graph editor though, I'd presume they've mimicked Mayas' quite a bit (like they should).
Enough ranting about apps here, it'll just start a flame war. Please mail me instead if you have further questions: moroten@hotmail.com

Thanks!

-Daniel

Mattoo
10-04-2002, 03:13 AM
Moroten: Yeah, the Puerto de Pollo chickens. Damn, you are aware of the reference :thumbsup:

And as for no one critisising the anim, well, there's not much wrong with it. You pretty much nailed it first go!

derErschaffer
10-04-2002, 10:40 AM
*LOL*...really funny....:thumbsup:

say-g
10-04-2002, 03:39 PM
havnt seen it yet but downloading it at 9kbs!!! (em dialup)

must be hosted near me

yay! 79% and ie said some bs about cant reach server
or somthing like that

moroten
10-08-2002, 11:02 AM
say-g: Did you get to see it finally? That post of yours was confusing: first it downloaded quickly, and then lost contact with the server? Sounds odd. The server is in Sweden (so am I) and my experience with OZ connections to europe isnt the greatest. I accessed my job's webmail from various internet cafes in sydney, melbourne, adelaide and brisbane last year and it was everything but speedy.

Oh well, hope you got to see it, please tell me what you think if you did.

-Daniel

facial
10-13-2002, 09:54 AM
Wow, I love this animation, Moroten, Well done. Keep post more. How long time you took to finish it? I love to made some non-photorealistic stuff, and I like to make traditional Chinese painting style with Maya recently, here is my post, Give me your comments in this post, thank you.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...15&pagenumber=1

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.