PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle: McLaren F1 & LM - Finished [ >500kb]

pinnner
10-01-2002, 12:53 PM
Hello,

I feel that I need to stop working on the car now. Its been a long and tiring journey....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/McLarenF1-321.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/McLarenF1-436.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/McLarenF1-474.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/McLarenF1-477.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/McLarenF1-483.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/McLarenF1-500.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/McLarenF1-504.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/McLarenF1-505.jpg

McLarenF1-LM|MAX|Polymodeling|Meshsmooth|MentalRay|VRay

volk23
10-01-2002, 03:05 PM
god damn, its awesome !

the first image : lighting is really cool. on my desktop now :D

Neo85
10-01-2002, 09:30 PM
Amazing!!!!!!! very good work...great job!!!!:beer:

FoVeUrBeN
10-01-2002, 10:05 PM
OMG! This is awesome! I absolutely love it, the amount of detail is amazing... great work!

stephen2002
10-01-2002, 10:32 PM
quite impressive work with your car.

One thing that I would note is that tires deform with their contact with the ground. Just something minor, amazing work overall!

piajartist
10-01-2002, 10:57 PM
the model is truly great and the quality and detail is quite noticeable

Indus
10-02-2002, 01:23 AM
Amazing.....I love the first one and the third one. The lighting on the first one is great.. :applause:

frozyn
10-02-2002, 01:42 AM
now....could you make a nice render at about 1152x864 of the blue one with a spoiler at night? thanks

lol, jk. that is simply amazing. great work. nothing i can think of would be wrong with this. anyone who finds a fault really has too much time on their hands to look for it ;)

PureFire
10-02-2002, 03:45 AM
100% realistic ....100% KICKASS!!

tkay
10-02-2002, 05:25 AM
Its very hard to crit your work because theres no wallpaper sized version of it... ;) :D

Five stars..

pinnner
10-02-2002, 09:19 AM
Thank you very much people =)

This is my first finished post and it recieves 5 stars!! =) I really appreciate this. Ppl have been quite tough with the crits at other forums, but I guess after a while u get used to it.

tkay: Heheehe, Ill have to prepare a few wallpapers then I see. They might pop up next year ;)

frozyn: Cheers for the kind works.

frozyn: Thnx, the first pic was rendered in Mental Ray (Which I is my main render baby) The others were VRay which is quicker that Mental but not as crisp.

stephen2002: Yeah, I agree with you but for these pics I just slapped in a quick floor. Maybe when I get around to doing a few backdrop class renders....

FoVeUrBeN: Cheers m8y =)

volk23: As I said above, watch out for the wallpapers =) Cheers

Update wires:

Pre Smooth Wire (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/Wire507.jpg)

After Smooth Wire (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/Wire508.jpg)

80)

xynaria
10-02-2002, 10:30 AM
Excellent job. :)

Khepri
10-02-2002, 11:19 AM
omg!

cewwwwwwllll!

render a white one!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :eek:

HapZungLam
10-02-2002, 03:06 PM
hum... you feeling want to stop working? why?

the modeling is great. perfectly modeled. but the shader and the texture still need more time to work on it

I am not an expert for a car shader. There has a few of experts here around. you can alwasy ask them for advice.

for now. jsut that your car is more like made out of plastic than heavy metal

pinnner
10-02-2002, 06:47 PM
HapZungLam: Why? 'cos I have grown bored of it to be honest. I have tried many different shader styles. From Fall off raytracing to HDRI reflection. Problem is render time. At the moment it takes around 20 - 30 mins for around 800x600 to render up one frame. Add raytrace reflections and its behaves too slow. Forget about DOF and GI, the thing crawls.

I imagine in the future when I attempt to animate the car that I would have to change the materials again anyway, so I am not too bothered with the final realism.

telecaustic
10-02-2002, 07:01 PM
The only thing that sucks is that a real one isn't parked in my drive way. AWESOME model, I love car posts.:wavey:

c.w.

Daniel
10-02-2002, 07:41 PM
WOW :thumbsup:

Very cool....Very Very Cool :drool:

Cya.

facial
10-03-2002, 08:34 AM
Well, Cool.................:shrug: :shrug:

pinnner
10-03-2002, 04:48 PM
ok, ill probably loose some points for doing this, but here it goes! :)

over 350 renders on 9 pages!

page 9 has latest renders, work your way to page 1 for a render history back in time.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/thumbs/Index0009.htm

please, do not point out any errors or mistakes ;)

Daniel
10-03-2002, 05:37 PM
arghhhhh. that board killt my last post... :(

Okay. how much weeks have U need for modeling???

Is that a full 3d race track I see on some pics????

Is a Anim comming???

The coolest 2 pics are the front shots and the one with both mc's on the track!!!

Cya.

Dr-spline
10-03-2002, 11:40 PM
if your really boared with it I wouldnt stop working on it id just put it somewhere where you can work on it later. Dont give up on something that amazing!

aor
10-04-2002, 01:04 AM
nice! first pic = desktop :thumbsup:

good stuff! and get on these wallpapers:applause: :applause:

thanks!:buttrock:

Larry_g1s
10-04-2002, 02:12 AM
Amazing. You did a wonderful job. You need to work for a video game developer, making these car models. Very nice work! :thumbsup:

derErschaffer
10-04-2002, 10:48 AM
DAMN SHIT......INCREDIBLE....

:thumbsup:

PS: pls in wallpaper size....:) in 1280*1024

pinnner
10-04-2002, 05:36 PM
Here is a wallpaper (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/509wall.jpg)

Dr-spline: I prolly will end up having to redo the materials when I attemt to animate the cars. Gulp! Not lookign forward to it..... need a break first ;)

Daniel: I first started the car years ago! Years, is he mad? Yes and yes. I have little time since I spend most of it at work :( The first MAX file I have is dated Sept 1998! Blimey.
Yes, that is a full track. It was modelled on the Formula 1 race circuit. Its not complete I must add.
And finally yes, as I said earlier, I do plan an animation but that I'd imagine you will have to wait till 2004 :P

hiko_
10-04-2002, 05:58 PM
Superbe ! :drool:

dogdoy
10-04-2002, 06:46 PM
:thumbsup: Greattttt... Jobs!

Hoooooray!

i am waiting for your next car.

Aeroplane
10-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Jesus!! Very very cool!!!!:applause: :applause: :eek: :love: :drool:

Daniel
10-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Hey pinner I know that. I also have some models, arround two years old. But i never will finish them. It's better to make a new one. Over the years U learn so much new things... :)

Did U render the car with Global Ilum like Final Render or norm. lights???

The Racetrack Yummi...I also dream about doing a race track...but U need much details images to make it real...Do U have any images source??? Or may render more pics from the track :wip:

Cya.

wgreenlee1
10-04-2002, 10:24 PM
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats friggin' beautiful!!!!!

Man!
Thanks for seeing this one to the end!
Totally friggin' awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:bounce: :scream: :applause: :cool: :airguitar

AJE
10-04-2002, 10:30 PM
I think the best paint texture is #330... seems the most real to me...

I'd like to see that realism on the blue version with the yellow mirrors, ... sweeeeet

Good model... no crits from me.

AJE

Xilica
10-04-2002, 10:45 PM
AMAZING!!! :thumbsup:

xtrm3d
10-05-2002, 12:46 AM
I.N.C.R.O.Y.A.B.L.E !!!!!!!!
:beer: :buttrock: :buttrock:

pinnner
10-05-2002, 01:07 AM
cheers for all the nice comments =)

Daniel: Mostly I use VRay GI. Most of the scenes used just one light. The track is very basic at the moment. Just a bunch of lofted splines. Most of the textures were hand drawn. Its not very photorealistic really.

AJE: I liked the top surface of the shader, but not how it works over the bottom half of the texture. It was based on reflecting a gradient. It would probably work with some tweaking.

It seems to me that ppl think that the body material is the weakest part, so, if anyone would be kind enough to maybe let me borrow one of theirs I could try..... :)

say-g
10-05-2002, 02:56 AM
sweet model.

for now. jsut that your car is more like made out of plastic than heavy metal

cars nowadays are plastic :O

ryguy
10-05-2002, 03:15 AM
Incredible job! Love this piece! No need to worry about the shaders... I think they're just fine and dandy. :thumbsup:

~Ryan

winberg
10-05-2002, 04:53 AM
I think the modelling are really good, the materials as mentioned before needs a bit tweaking...

-Tom

Toeng.com
10-05-2002, 05:45 AM
Damn sweeeet ... you could add it to Toeng.com if you want it :)

ryen
10-05-2002, 06:17 AM
cool!!!!!!

ilasolomon
10-05-2002, 07:47 AM
i wanna a desktop version too! mine in 2K res.! ;) please
cook me a yellow/orange one.
5 stars indeed.

derErschaffer
10-05-2002, 01:09 PM
sorry

i love the red one....:) please the red one in wallpaper size...if its possible...

enzodiac
10-05-2002, 03:04 PM
i would like to see a render on those awesome forms :D
just beautiful.
One of my problems is how to make such things. So plz show me :P

:buttrock:

pinnner
10-05-2002, 07:03 PM
Toeng.com: I would definately like to add these renders to Toeng.com :) First I will have to complete a few more wallpaper size renders.

More wallpapers are on the way as I write...

Sez
10-05-2002, 08:41 PM
Really nice work on that McLaren F1!:thumbsup:

Did you model it with some pictures or blueprints?
If you did it with some blueprints were did you find those?
Links please?

Keep up the awesome modeling!!!:buttrock:

sigma
10-05-2002, 09:44 PM
Absolutely Stunning!

:surprised :scream: :thumbsup: :buttrock: :eek:

Teyon
10-05-2002, 10:06 PM
I know you didn't want us to point out any mistakes but there doesn't seem to be any way for the door to open. There's a handle and even a door seam...that stops halfway up the door. I love the models (a million times better than anyhting I've ever done, period) but that is the one thing that bugs me. Just bring the door seam into the top part of the car and perfect will be the name of the game.

PS. I know that's gonna make me really unpopular now. :(

Dave-GTR
10-06-2002, 01:38 AM
woah great work, TIMES better than my McLaren F1 LM model. Well mine has just 20000 polys and no nearly meshsmooth, and i also started it a long time ago, nearly 24 months so far. At that point i had just one mere month of modelling experience, and i never remodelled my Mac, so it looks uncompareable bad to yours. But perhaps i will remodel mine someday :)

IF you are going for an animation, i would prefer the same one for you that i made: the 0-100mph-0 run in 11,5 seconds. You get the exact motion table (position @ speed and time) from the Official page ( www.mclarencars.com )

Well, where did you get your blueprints from? Is it the standard F1 LM blueprints that fly around the internet? I would really like to know. Well 2 years ago i modelled my McLaren completely without, and i didnt even know that something like blueprints exists!

Anyway, 5 stars for sure!

My 0-100-0 anim (its a little temp made 5MB file, requires divX 5,02): http://www.planetquake.com/syn/accl6.avi
note its driven on the street, and i do know that in reality it was a little piece of a closed track

PS Teyon: The doors are right, since they open upwards the one piece behind the front wheels doesnt move. Believe me, i got some little video clips, nearly ALL pics aviable on the net, i modelled the car myself, and i got it in 1:18.
But there IS one real mistake where im 90% sure: on the standard F1, the lower chassis part between front and rear wheels, there you modelled a bar, like on the LM, but it doesnt exist on the F1. Well somehow, on some of your screens it exists, on others it doesnt. In reality, it doesnt :)

HapZungLam
10-06-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by say-g
sweet model.

cars nowadays are plastic :O

haha, agree!:applause:

Daniel
10-06-2002, 03:35 AM
"cars nowadays are plastic :O "

Nooooo, only leightweight cars are made with plastic like materials....

But normal cars. We all drive, are made with metall parts.

But the paint on plastike like cars, for example the lotus elise. Also looks like a normal car. U don't see a big difference!

hehe..:Cya.

BTW...Blueprints look here:

http://chillout.m4driving.sm/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
http://www.onnovanbraam.com/
http://www.suurland.com/

pinnner
10-06-2002, 09:02 AM
Teyon: Part of being an artist is taking crit form fellow artists. YOU SCUM I HATE U!! :P Heehehhehe, just kidding.

Sez, Dave-GTR: I used the blueprint from suurland website. I found I had to use reference pictures too (try google images) I also have a scale model but found it to be inaccurate.

Dave-GTR: That's a nice anim. I like the cars movement under accelerations and braking.
I have in mind a showroom style animation which showcases both cars doing ballet like driving. I want to express the beautiful curves and lines of the car.
Regarding the bar. Do you mean the bottom skirt? Well, the reason for that is I cloned the LM car to create the F1. So, some renders still show the bar because I was still working on it :P The final F1 doesn't feature the skirt.

Cheers

Here is a wallpaper (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/514wall.jpg) of the red F1 car at 1600 res

:)

Dave-GTR
10-06-2002, 01:30 PM
Great wallpaper pinner. And yes the lines of the car ARE beautiful. I can say that since i also modelled all of them.

What i wonder about are some views or your shape. I never seen a McLaren F1 in reality so i cant say weather your model (expecially rear and roof part) is realistic. But the question before this one is if the blueprints you used are realistic. To me especially the front view looks a little bit weird. But i dont know. I think its just what you expect from the looks. To my view the whole upper part (windows, roof) are lower and less round.
I made a game-poly (5000tris) version of mine for Racer, there, when you see it in action, you feel a little bit different about it. Who knows, perhaps you are right and i'm wrong...

pinnner
10-06-2002, 05:44 PM
Dave-GTR: Believe me, I had a nightmare getting the car to look right. I changed the shape three times after the modeling was complete. In the end, I had to call it a day.

Here is a quick
short anim (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/trytestmcl.avi)

The movement is quirky. Took 18 hours to render.

Dave-GTR
10-06-2002, 08:10 PM
yeah man looks great in action, although a bit weird :)
it starts cool but then it gets a bit "boring". I would make it accelerate to the camera and then corner away from it, even better with oversteer and smoke :-))
it would be 2-3 seconds longer then, and it would need some time to adjust the supsension, but then it would look much greater at all :-)

great work anyway, keep it up!

Dave-GTR
10-06-2002, 08:16 PM
yeah man looks great in action, although a bit weird :)
it starts cool but then it gets a bit "boring". I would make it accelerate to the camera and then corner away from it, even better with oversteer and smoke :-))
it would be 2-3 seconds longer then, and it would need some time to adjust the supsension, but then it would look much greater at all :-)

great work anyway, keep it up!

rason
10-06-2002, 08:51 PM
I HATE YOU PEOPLE, YOUR ABUSING MY EYES!!!!!!

this one just take the cake:annoyed:

its so beautiful my eyes hurt:surprised

shit man that has to be sum of the best stuff ive seen EVER

omg can you make me a wallpaper with that shit:thumbsup:

Dave-GTR
10-06-2002, 10:04 PM
Oh sorry for posting the last reply twice, it was some board error i think :rolleyes:

But 2 things came into my mind and so i HAD to go to this thread to tell you!

2 things are missing/are wrong on your McLarens. And i AM sure here :-) And those things are really unimportant, but if you are making a car because of the love to detail, what you are for sure, then you should mind.

Probably you made it cause of the mirroring lazyness:
The Tank Caps. They arent on both sides, the standard F1 has it just on the Left side, and i think its same for the LM, although the GTRs have them on both sides.
Both of your McLarens have it on both sides.

The other thing is LM related. On the right side, shortly before the rear RIGHT (only) wHeel, there is an extra Air-Intake. Your Mac doesnt have it. I'm sure u noticed that intake but didnt make it for some reason :)

just constructive crits, Macmodelling-bro! :cool:

Daniel
10-06-2002, 10:45 PM
*lol* A real McL freak ;)
I would write the same if somebody post a real lotus car :beer:

Oh and for me, the taillights looks to perfect...I mean to clear...U know?
Ohhh yeah, I know how hard it is to make real looking taillights (or just car lights) :scream:

U seen the McL at the gumball rally last year`? :drool:

hehe...Cya.

oimooki
10-07-2002, 02:42 AM
it's taken a while, but i'm sure it's worth it, you've been able to model the car, and do all this other process i have yet to hear of, pretty much, your taking your steps, and these are great ones at that ...

btw pascal blanche, i dig your work

motion_82
10-07-2002, 10:12 AM
Which one is the 3D version???

GREAT WORK!

pinnner
10-07-2002, 01:24 PM
goodness, its still going =) cheers ppl

Dave-GTR: Your right about the righthand side airintake which is missing. There is a reason for this, I think it looks silly having an airintake on one side. Artistic license.....
And the Tank Caps, this is a wierd one. I have pictures of an expensive diecast model and it features one on each side. Also the blueprints from suurland has them on both side (I guess these were mirrored) However, every photo I have doesnt show the rear end too well, it does appear to have one on the left side of the car but I cant tell about the right.
It seems u have been looking at the car as long as I have :P

Daniel: Tail light is something I have to fix in the future. It depends on how highres I render the picture before it looks like what I intended it to....
I think I will add more depth to the lights to help with that.

derErschaffer
10-07-2002, 02:58 PM
thx for the red one....:thumbsup:

that car is still incredible...:applause:

i think in the animation the car drives to slow...:)

Dave-GTR
10-07-2002, 03:33 PM
Oh yea, if i were you i would make the LM onesided Air Intake anyway, it somehow belongs to the car.

What i dont like on the whole deal is that you modeleld a PERFECT McLaren, and so i dont have reason enough to do it too, since it would look the same, what is some sort of modelling time wasting. But what i could do is the '97 GTR, you surely know, the Longtail version. Dont have blueprints of it, but like 20-30 pics, so i could model it. Wouldnt be maximally accurate then, but the best of what is possible without blueprints. I made the 1997 GTR once for Racer, 6222 triangles, so you could say it has the low/-game poly standard.

Or do YOU plan to model the '97 GTR?

Gal
10-07-2002, 09:30 PM
pinner is right,
the prints i gave to suur are for the lm..coming from the "making of the mclaren" book a friend gave me.
i'm also making a roadcar from this lm prints..it's a bitch
the prints are illustrations, if u look at the headlights they dont match in the different views.. you have no idea how long i've suffered to make mine sit right.
btw pinner heh u beat me to it.. i'm in the process of finishing mine after a year of not touching it..
will show my ver soon

pinnner
10-08-2002, 10:57 AM
Hey Gal, I came accoss your work a long while ago now, I was really blown away by the detail. I really look forward to seeing it in colour.

Carina
10-08-2002, 12:07 PM
You know the first picture posted...

That's a very cool render, but what would look even better (in my opinion):

Take away some of the DOF effect, and put some heat stuff over it.. you know, the kind of effect that makes the air ripple over the cars when they've gone a few laps..

After that it would go right on my desktop;)

Galo
10-08-2002, 02:32 PM
pinner : could you render me that verry first pic you post so i can place it as my wallpaper, i didn't liked the other wallpapers :D

please... :buttrock:

damesqlo
10-08-2002, 04:29 PM
Pinnner you are really awesome!!!
How old are you?
How many time have you modeling in 3d?
How many time take to you model that car?

Im beginner

im trying to model this car a week ago, but i have many problems whit the bevel parts, like the lights zone, and some zones whit 3 edges, the pic explain better, is posibble that you show some or many pics in LowPoly Wire, to see the details...on the white circles PLEASE!!! :thumbsup:

http://www.veryhardesign.com/mclarenplease.jpg

if you want to see how my model looks here is... 3 days modeling and remenber im beginner... please help me! lol

front (http://www.3-dsign.net/foro/attachments/McLarenV1.jpg)

back (http://www.3-dsign.net/foro/attachments/mclarenV2.jpg)

Excuse my English

pinnner
10-08-2002, 04:42 PM
Its incrediably difficult creating a paint shader which looks good enough for still shots aswell as being fast to render for animations. Well, I think for the moment I have to set aside the animation and concentrate on the still shader materials.

Heres what I've got so far. (Just the red car paint)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/527NewShader.jpg

The inset shows the speckly stuff in greator detail. I really hope it looks different from the older shader.

:)

pinnner
10-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Hi damesqlo. Your off to a nice start there I see :) I think what you have to do is split up your model into separate panels of the car. e.g.. the front hood should be a separate entity. That is what I have done. So, my lights are separate objects. And then you can achieve hard edges on the corners by applying a little chamfer.

Here is a wire of the light.

Wire of the light :) (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/LightWire.gif)

I hope this helps :)

Carina, Galo: More wallpapers will follow =)

damesqlo
10-08-2002, 08:12 PM
Thanks soo much for your help...
Im going to try...
Are soo many things that i got to learn to make more easy model things, i mind modeling tips, would be great post modeling tips in some new post on this forum, i dont know is just a idea in my head

Once Again, Thanks soo much for your help..!

michaelhughes
10-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Hey would you be interested in a job? That is damn good and the high polygon look we are going for. If so contact me.

<michael hughes>
mhughes@13gaming.com

Dave-GTR
10-09-2002, 08:09 PM
michaelhughes: also lookin for freelancing lower-poly modellers :-) ? i need some extra money which i would like to earn by modelling some hours per week. :)

Daniel
10-09-2002, 11:01 PM
One question. It's more a non cg question as more a REAL quest.

The front lights (blinker, and park light, there in th bumber)

They very much looks like the one from the 1. The lotus esprit and second the Aston Martin Vantage V8. And I think they all use the same...but the big question is, from which car are they realy? :)

Cya.

robot9000
10-10-2002, 08:11 AM
:applause:
Goddamn...that car is slick, bro!
I want one, now!
You should sell that wax texture...man o man!
...a job awaits you!
peace and good luck
robot9000

:airguitar :airguitar :airguitar

pinnner
10-11-2002, 10:56 AM
Here is the front LM wallpaper as promised.

wallpaper (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/531wall.jpg)

freemind77
10-11-2002, 05:27 PM
OH SHIT, THATS THE TOP NOTCH!

VUJEN
10-12-2002, 06:17 AM
:) BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

YOU GOT MAD SKILL PINNER

QUIK QUESTION IF YOU DONT MINE. WHAT'S YOUR OPION ABOUT MAYA. IM BEEN USING 3dmax for a short time. but alot of peoples been telling me that maya is alot better. I like to modeling organic animal and human character.
THANK AHEAD BUD

ThirdEye
10-12-2002, 06:22 PM
what your paint shader needs is more fresnel reflections, try looking this:

http://www.3dluvr.com/marcosss/more3/index.html

yasserdin
11-05-2002, 01:21 AM
is it possible 2 look at the wire mesh

pinnner
11-05-2002, 01:07 PM
yasserdin: wire link can be found on the first page. if youre lazy like me, here is the links ;)

wire pre-smooth (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/Wire507.jpg)

wire after-smooth (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/Wire508.jpg)

hope this helps :)

voyer
11-05-2002, 03:01 PM
this is one of my favourite cars...
You inspire me to try and model a car, but I dont have the time rith now and im not sure I could do it near as good as you.....
awww.....inspiring work man.

lordofmaya
11-05-2002, 07:57 PM
awesome work you have made there pinnner !!!

these cars are right out of men's dream toys !! keep up the good work !!! definitely a car i'd love to own someday , man , whenever the on road version comes out !!! lol

all da best !:thumbsup:

viper11885
11-10-2002, 06:23 AM
hey pinner, i gotta say that your modelling is just beautiful!!!

anyways, i was just wondering, what program did u use to model the car???

damn, that's what i call skill :)

pinnner
11-10-2002, 10:14 AM
thanks ppl =)

viper11885: thanks. i used 3d studio max for car.

=)

thecre8ive
11-10-2002, 07:37 PM
P-H-A-T!

Awesome cars! you are an auto modelling master!

Kudos

amphex
11-10-2002, 09:19 PM
Haha, I was gonna poly model the same exact car as a project, but Im a begginer and had no clue where to start with it, so I gave up lol
But damn this is freaking awesome man!
Makes me want to give it another shot..I still have no clue where to start though lol
How do you start modelling this?

erics75218
11-20-2002, 08:39 PM
NICE WORK...it has a 3D illustration look to it..which I like. Photoreal is nice...this is nice too.:bounce:

raine
02-05-2003, 04:48 AM
very nice High res... I have loved your render of that front shot since i first saw it.... I was very happy to see that you posted a high res of it and man.... you can see so much detail.... and the model looks perfect. Great work. Im working on a Mc larren now... First car heh.. Thanks for the inspiration :buttrock:

brightboy_alert
02-05-2003, 09:08 AM
nice f*cking model! honk! honk!

goodlag
02-05-2003, 09:16 AM
i love it

SExcellent work

marc
02-05-2003, 01:23 PM
i saw this a while ago on a different forum don't know if it was you or not. n e way "YOU" posted some wireframes n stuff with it . good work.

marc
02-05-2003, 01:27 PM
also any chance of a tutorial?

RusMan
02-05-2003, 02:33 PM
wow amazing work, can we get a higher resolution image?:buttrock:

Timmeh
02-05-2003, 03:22 PM
very nice work.

how about a 2048x1536 render of the front, would be very much appreciated ;)

Chappo
02-05-2003, 04:06 PM
LET 'EM RACE LET 'EM RACE LET 'EM RACE LET 'EM RACE LET 'EM RACE LET 'EM RACE :D

haha

Awesome modeling !!!!

Animate the suckers :D

raine
02-05-2003, 07:46 PM
Big thing that you LM is missing is the cuts that are on top of the front fenders. I think this would greatly improve your model and make it look alot more agressive :) ... Good call from <marc> Ever thought about making a tutorial?

raine
02-05-2003, 11:40 PM
Hope im not posting too much :) ...... remembered another question that i forgot to ask you.... You have great looming lights on your car and i was wondering how you made them. The turn signal lights look very realalistic the way the light is. How did you do that, is it jsut a glow with a map or what? very curious to know ... thanks Yet again man! :P

pinnner
02-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Thank you all. You are too kind.

marc: Tutorial, Gulp! That would be difficult now since the project is 'closed.' And I am nearly complete on modelling my next piece and it is too late for tutorial for this too. Maybe next time :)
The NSX tutorial by munkmotion is truly awesome!! I work in a different manner, but the result is the same.

Rusman, Timmeh: I will sort out that higher res render :) I will keep you posted.

Chappo: I been meaning to animate them, but I really dont have much time.

raine: Thanks =) You are the only person to have picked up on the missing cuts. And there is a reason for it too. I was not happy with that area of the car already. And adding the cuts would mean that I would need to add more faces and as a result, that area would look 'funny.' It is the nature of meshsmoothing which makes it difficult to add details like this because that panel is curved (Nurbs are much more suited to the task). About two months ago, I recreated the McLaren in nurbs using Rhino. I can't believe how easy it was to add details such as these.
The turn signal lights and all other lights I used the method from the following webpage: http://www.3dcar.kg/tutorial/less02.htm# So, they are real geometry. Personally, For the reflector section of the light, I like to use a high contrast bitmap (outdoor photo of sky and trees.) And for the glass section, it depends on the rendering engine. You will need to tweak the glass for whatever rendering engine you use. I used MentalRay and VRay and each had different settings. I spent so many hours tweaking the materials and test rendering to get the right look. The lights only used raytraced lights. I used no glows or other post processing. You will need a lot of patience.
Good luck with your McLaren!

t_lightnin
02-07-2003, 08:19 PM
GREAT work... one comment though... it looks like the tires have a slightly overinflated look to them in some of the pictures.

Tommy Boi
02-09-2003, 05:28 AM
[marc: Tutorial, Gulp! That would be difficult now since the project is 'closed.' And I am nearly complete on modelling my next piece and it is too late for tutorial for this too. Maybe next time :)
The NSX tutorial by munkmotion is truly awesome!! I work in a different manner, but the result is the same.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Where would I be able to get this tutorial?

Thanks.

BTW. You're car model is great!

JBruckner
02-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Boi
[marc: Tutorial, Gulp! That would be difficult now since the project is 'closed.' And I am nearly complete on modelling my next piece and it is too late for tutorial for this too. Maybe next time :)

Where would I be able to get this tutorial?

Thanks.

BTW. You're car model is great! [/B][/QUOTE]

www.munkmotion.com/tutorials

unrealwarfare
02-10-2003, 04:36 PM
amazing work! very realistic. a little too clean, but still awesome

nose
02-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Wow man, this is just great! Very nice piece of work. :drool: :thumbsup: Are you planning to do a short with these cars? Could be very great in my opinion.

pinnner
02-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Ok, I have finished rendering the Front LM version of the car. The render was huge! 3000 pixels wide. I have an AMD 1800+ with 768MB RAM and this render took 50 hours!! Was a real nightmare trying to go to sleep with the PC no less than 3 meters away :( I have resized it to 2048 res. Unfortunately, polygon edges do show and I do not have enough RAM to render with higher SubDiv settings.

2048x1178@334KB (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thefastest.imran/McLarenF1LM-542_huge.jpg)

nose: I did have plans for an animation, but right now I am already in the thick of my next project and don't know when I will get back to this.

unrealwarfare: Yeah, the car came straight out of the showroom :P Thanks

=)

Chappo
02-14-2003, 06:48 PM
:applause: :drool: :eek: :drool: :applause:

Awesome !!

it looks VERY nice on my 21" eizo monitor ;)

50 hours for just 1 picture.... i guess making an animation would be overkill - even at tv resolution on ur pc :)

nose
02-14-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Chappo
it looks VERY nice on my 21" eizo monitor ;)

Same here :)

RaEkWon
02-15-2003, 09:54 AM
go pinnner go pinnner :D

hows it goin' m8
remember me?
You said you started using msn but I rarely see you online!
PM me ! :p

cya m8

ps: everytime I see ya car I go "wow" :p
pss: my nick is Raekwon over here but it can be that you know me under the nick RaYK

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.