PDA

View Full Version : New Animation Test

MosaFacku
10-01-2002, 01:04 PM
Hey guys, I've been workin on this for the past 2 days. I need to show this to some people to hopefully get a job :buttrock: , but I'd like to hear your feedback first. Be as harsh as you want.

www.3dpirate.com/movies/rockTest.avi

...sorry, couldn't compress it with divx this time....its about 5MB

Thanks

:buttrock:

spacefrog
10-01-2002, 01:36 PM
over all i think it's pretty good
a few things that feel wrong:

* the moments when your guy lifts the stone up again for a certain distance ( and have to rest for a second again )
seem to last too long, meaning, when he lifts the rock, he surely would to it faster, using speed over force ( it seems clear to me, that the stone is hell too heavy for him)
so i think he would not have the power to lift the stone so slowly but with speed ( what needs more anticipation too)

* same is for the little steps he makes, to balance himself out, as soon the rock is in the air, the steps need to be executed faster and the body should show a reaction too when he makes a small step to make the stones gigantic weight more believable

;-)

Rogue
10-01-2002, 05:26 PM
Nice job MosaFacku. It's a good piece for showing weight.

The main things that stick out to me is when he just gets it off the ground, maybe his arms could straighten out a bit (he does this just before the lift, and it looks good, but he doesn't do it during the lift) and pull the rock into his chest/torso as he reaches the very next postion.

The other would be the final lift in the air. He's had such difficulty getting it to that point, it seems heavy enough to have to jerk it up there...like a power lifter does...and move his body underneath it and get his balance.

Do you know what I mean? That descriptions might be a little vague.

Really good job. I don't think it neccesary to change anything I've said, it's pretty nice as is, but it might make it a little bit better.

Keep up the work. How long did it take you do animate the whole spot? Just checking for my own comparison. :)

Grayscale
10-01-2002, 07:30 PM
Mosafacku,
Good job. Watching it over and over again, I agree with the other two critiques. I agree he should do more of a clean and jerk move to get the rock where it needs to go. A little more speed in the lift. Overall a great job.
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

MosaFacku
10-02-2002, 12:22 AM
thanks guys. needed the extra eyes :surprised gonna fix it up some more tonight. :buttrock::airguitar:buttrock:

oh yeah, rogue, its taken me about 24 hrs of work so far, sun night - mon morning and mon night - tues morn. 9pm-9am.

bentllama
10-02-2002, 03:31 AM
your animation has improved dramatically.

quite "dead" at the beginning...why not have him open the scene with a few steps to get around to the best side to pick it up on...but, if it is a moving hold you are looking for...kill the interpolation you have going there...remember that especially in CG moving holds have to consist of tiny tiny little arcs of motion...I usually cheat it with miniscule "figure eights", that way I can cycle it if I want...

for that size of a rock he still isnt straining enough...I am not saying over do it, but he should strain more... try watching ESPN and the strongest man shows kwhen they are on...watch them kwhem they get to the last rock, and see how tired and the effort they put into it...

if he/she is really straining, the arms should come straight on the first lift...you have them bent like he is some "muscle" man

even though you are trying to have the character regain balance you are still keeping him in relativly the same spot...and you are not shifting his weight far enough over the posting leg when he lifts the opposite leg...

it is the change in the "S" and "C" curves in his back throughout the motion that kwill show better weight as well...

try having the rock fall before/just before the guy does...right now it looks funky

he falls flat on his back [which is cool] but there is no real recovery for his body [like you tried to do with his leg] [*watch you do not bounce him too much...just slightly]

keep up the good work. you are getting better.

cheers.

...just my 2.5 cents worth...

MosaFacku
10-02-2002, 07:57 AM
hey, thanks for the crits, i made some fixes and uploaded the new movie. here ya go:

again, thanks for the crits guys.

Rogue
10-03-2002, 03:57 AM
Looking good MosaFacku! It's coming along very nicely. Ok, I have some new crits! :) All very minor and very nitpicky.

1) Just as he picks the rock up and gets to the first position when the rock is off the ground, he looks slightly off balance with the rock in hand as if he might fall forward. Possibly shift the hips back a little to center the weight of the the rock and his body.

2) This really only caught my attention the first few times I watched it, later, it didn't really bother me. The whole little segment where he is standing and getting his balance seemed a little too long. It's hard for me to describe this one because, like I said, it doesn't really bother me watching it now. But I thought I'd mention it because first impressions do matter. :)

3) I think it would add a little more believability if the rock shifted just a little when he's repositioning his hands at the part just before he stands up and pulls the rock to his chest. (ok, this one is pretty darned nit picky)

4) Lastly, at the time where he is repositioning his left foot, there is something there that doesn't quite sit right with me. I don't know what it is or what to tell you. Maybe his hip isn't shifting enough....or something. I wished I could be a little more informative about it. But maybe by mentioning it, you'll come to a solution.

Please don't think I'm being over critical....this is a very good piece of work and deserves applause. But when I see a piece with as much quality as you've gotten here, I just want to watch it over and over and see if I might offer something to make it even better. So take it as a compliment as opposed to a cut. Shoot, I couldn't get something as nice without someone telling me things to make it better. :)

Great work!!!

MosaFacku
10-03-2002, 05:24 AM
rogue,

i appreciate the comments. im not thinkin you're knockin it. even if u were, at least your givin me things to improve on. :buttrock: so yeah, thanks man. i appreciate it.

im puttin this one to the side for a few days to start on something new so i can come back to this with a fresh set of eyes.

later

Rogue
10-03-2002, 05:39 AM
No problem. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. Keep on keeping on. :)

MosaFacku
10-03-2002, 05:55 AM
thanks. i'm putting together my demo reel this month, so i'll hopefully crank out at least 2 more good animations. thanks for the support!! :buttrock:

bentllama
10-03-2002, 07:47 AM
Mosafacku.

MosaFacku
10-03-2002, 07:54 AM
yes Mr. LLama?

bentllama
10-03-2002, 08:05 AM
Mosafacku.

MosaFacku
10-03-2002, 08:10 AM
MosaFacku

:xtreme:

bentllama
10-03-2002, 08:31 AM
Exactly. Make that your mantra.

MosaFacku
10-03-2002, 08:46 AM
don't u have a hot chick to be modeling.....???:curious:

hey, got any suggestions for my next project??? besides ideas involving midgets.....should i show something that would be more oriented towards games?

bentllama
10-04-2002, 07:56 AM
Donkeys and midgets. With particles...and a Bowler hat.

MosaFacku
10-04-2002, 09:07 AM
how about u model the hot chick, rig it, and i'll animate her twisted extreme sport action........

bentllama
10-04-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by MosaFacku
how about u model the hot chick, rig it, and i'll animate her twisted extreme sport action........

With a donkey.

MosaFacku
10-04-2002, 04:48 PM
and lemme guess.....a midget......with a bowler hat..........and particles........ :surprised ............

rock on.

if it means u model her faster *cough* slacker *cough*
then i'm all for it. :xtreme:

later

MosaFacku
10-05-2002, 08:02 AM
back to what this thread was created for, i just uploaded my newest iteration of the guy liftin a rock. it's pretty much just a few fixes here and there, a few people said it looked like the rock was floating sometimes, also, i tried to fix the things rogue said looked funky, as well as the fixes that crazy llama guy suggested. lemme know if somethin still irks ya. otherwise, im gonna put this one on the shelf for a while. thanks for all your help guys. :xtreme:

once again,

later

Rogue
10-05-2002, 08:59 PM
It looks great man!! Damn good job!:thumbsup:

MosaFacku
10-05-2002, 09:07 PM
thanks rogue! glad i got your seal of approval :)

i'll be posting more soon, i was playin around with IK joe this mornin and came up with an interesting cycle for him....it's almost ready for public viewing, so i'll post it soon.

later

Frinsklen
10-06-2002, 07:26 PM
critiques...

I think you've done a great job with the poses.
All the steps for the right a weight animation are there. I would have had the knees shaking when his arch straightens, but basically, I see all the poses very well understood. However, the stone is not as heavy as it should be, specially when he lifts it and his back arch tightens.

Great job, more, more, more!

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.