PDA

View Full Version : FireWire External Hard drives question

chinch
04-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Hello all!
I'm am in search of a solid and reliable external FireWire hard drive for editing on Final Cut. I was wondering if anyone can recommend any brands they are familiar with. I need something in the 100GB - 160GB and am on a tight budget (student). Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

chinch

Yossarian!
04-12-2005, 12:25 AM
If you're on a really tight budget (and who isn't) an external case with an internal hard drive may be a more economical option. I've found Western Digital drives to be fantastic.

chinch
04-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks Yossarian! for the quick reply. I will definitely look into that.

Thanks again
chinch

fwtep
04-12-2005, 12:48 AM
I agree about Western Digital, whether internal or external. I've never had one go bad, and I've been using them for ten years. (I'd say I've had about 10 or so.)

Fred

chinch
04-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the extra help fwtep, I really appreciate it.

Chinch out

BrianHarbauer
04-13-2005, 02:50 AM
I've got:
Western Digital
Maxtor
Seagate

Western Digital: Like everyone else, i've never had a WD go bad, i've got a 40Gb that's been in an older computer and it's getting close to 6 yrs, still runs like it's new. It's fast and runs somewhat cool.

Maxtor: I've got two of these striped together to give me 240Gb, but i've had some issues, if these aren't kept really cool, I get a "delayed write error" and it's as if they shut down. I opened my case and they were almost too hot to touch! that was in my old computer with only one fan, i've since put 6 fans in my new one and have had no problems.

Seagate: Man do I love it! it seems to take and send data as fast as my two maxtors stripped together! I've not done a benchmark, but just playing back uncompressed video, it's noticibly faster. Must say, it's VERY quite and runs VERY cool. When i plan to get more HDDs, i'm planning on getting some Seagates. I'm very impressed with them.

chinch
04-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Thank you so much for all the info avkid85, I just heard about the seagate drives last night from a friend. They sound pretty nice. Again thanks for the info, you guys ROCK!

Chinch out

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2005, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.