PDA

View Full Version : Vfx compaines and demo reels

feldy
04-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi Iam graduating in june with a B.f.a in aniamtion and iam focusing on vfx. Most the people i go to school with focus on the character anaimtion and modeling parts in there demos. Is there anything in paticluar vfx compaines like to see.

polyman
04-11-2005, 10:12 PM
I would say things involving green/blue screen compositing, adding 3d stuff to live action footage and making it look real. Also sometimes its good to add visual breakdown of plates/layers on what is composited, it can be like a quick step by step thing by showing how the final look was achieved or maybe some sort of side by side comparison between the original footage and final output. Matte painting, set extensions, wire removal, color correcting, tracking/camera matching are also nice to add.

Aneks
04-12-2005, 02:24 AM
Hey,

Not sure if you are looking for work as compositor ?? If its more 3d fx work try doing some fx/particle stuff with live action footage. If you are lookinf for FX TD work include a little bit on your techniques and pipeline.

I got a very good response from my reel. Its not the best stuff in the world but folks are saying they like the way things are laid out and bigger companies ESPECIALLY LIKE THE VFX BREAKDOWNS.

here's a link (sorry about the size)

www.tahlniran.com (http://www.tahlniran.com/)

www.tahlniran.com/reel.html (http://www.tahlniran.com/reel.html)

Just be absolutely ruthless and only keep your very best stuff on the reel. Also be specific about what you are best at ! Dont show work that you don't want to be doing. Ie don't show modelling/character if you want to do FX no matter how good. Otherwise they'll hire you and make you model etc...

feldy
04-12-2005, 04:20 AM
i really enjoyed it. the breakdowns was nice butmaybe underneath each breakdown a list of software first.

Aneks
04-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I am really against listing sofware on reels and at the end of films and the like. I have a detailed description on my resume of what I know and my experience levels, but I think it looks really fanboy to do it on the shots... like when people put Maya logo's on the end of a reel. I would prefer to let the shots speak for the selves. Things like how I did specific things, software, time it took, techniques etc... are for discussing in interviews.

Saying I'm an X compositor or a Y compositor can actually do you out of a job. I am a vfx compositor. If they like my work I enough they will let me learn the software. This is especially true if you are going to work somewhere that is using proprietary stuff.

This may be a silly way to go but its my 2 cents !!

Good luck !

polyman
04-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey Aneks, your reel is fantastic and has some really good work.

Andrew W
04-12-2005, 06:38 PM
I wrote a page mostly for T.D.s offering some advice about reels amongst other things here (http://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/graduates.html). It might be helpful in some way.

Cheers,

Andrew

Aruna
04-16-2005, 08:49 PM
I'll add this page that I wrote about recruitment.

http://www.digitalgypsy.com/vfxlog/archives/2005/03/recruitment.php

How's it going Andrew? Thanks for doing the Troy interview, don't recall if I thanked you!

BiGMaCHiNe
04-17-2005, 12:38 AM
that was a great reel aneks. and all the local studios i want to get into aswell images/icons/icon13.gif

Aneks
04-17-2005, 05:45 PM
thanks. Australian scene can be a hard nut to crack as there are a lot of really talented people out there and not too many jobs. At the moment I am in london looking at the lifestyle and cost of everythin' out here. Good luck with it !!

amckay
04-19-2005, 06:37 AM
aus' industry is a bit plain, although there's still a lot of films being done here - (superman, ghost rider, stealth etc.) although obviously not as much work as london or LA.

Tahl, cool reel mate!

-Allan McKay

Aneks
04-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks Allan,

You back in Oz. now ?

Had a really good chat with a mate out here (London) about getting a vfx job in UK and US vs Smaller markets ie Sydney. He made a really good point that in better established/bigger places, people in the industry (hate using that word) are more supportive and co-operative of new blood. Whereas in a smaller pond people are fighting harder for less opportunity and see new personnel as more of a threat.

Don't know if others have experienced this !

vfxworks
04-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Good work u have on ur site. great carrer!!!
I really like ur profile picture on cgtalk !

A D

Andrew W
04-19-2005, 10:53 PM
How's it going Andrew? Thanks for doing the Troy interview, don't recall if I thanked you!

Well it's getting on for midnight here and I'm still at work if that answers your question? Just approaching deadline on Charlie and The Chocolate Factory so it's all getting hectic. And yes you did thank those of us who did the 'Troy' interview. I enjoyed doing that very much.

All the best,

Andrew

jigu
04-20-2005, 05:41 AM
tahlniran: ur showreel is really impressive!:thumbsup:
allanmckay : mr. mckay is here.i m one of ur big fan of ur showreel!! BTW, i can't see ur website.it;s giving error:Bandwidth limit exceeded.

feldy
04-20-2005, 11:47 PM
yea his 2003 reel kicked ass his new reel i saw a wip but dam what a wip i like all the blade 3 stuff in it also very cool.

as soon as ai can find some were to host my demo ill host it iam currnetly haveing compression problems a 320x240 at a soreseon 3 codec is compressing to 90 meg and ive tried every codec i had to get it down smaller dont know what the deal is.

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2005, 11:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.