PDA

View Full Version : How do you add Vertises to your render???

ant...
04-11-2005, 08:24 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john_hague/wire.jpg
I came across this image in 3D World magazine, an article by Simon Reeves on how to model a helicopter in 3DS Max, "its a great article for understanding meshsmooth", but what I wanted to learn was how to render images like the one above. It shows the smoothness of the model with the original position of the Edges.

It looks like Simon has used a skylight for the main light and a spot to represent some warm sunlight, but I would love to be able to use this technique to show my modeling better.

Last month I sent an email to simon asking how he did it but got no reply. This render technique is used by many other subscribers to the magazine so I wonder if any one out there can enlighten me please?

SoLiTuDe
04-12-2005, 06:23 AM
a lot of the time you will do two renders: one is the wireframe (usually a wireframe material), and one is the smoothed out render, then you overlay the wire on top of the other in photoshop (or premiere or aftereffects or combustion if it's video), and viola!

here is another way of doing it: http://www.jeffpatton.net/Tips/Wire-gradient.jpg

loocas
04-13-2005, 02:43 PM
I personally do it using FREE plug-ins called EDGEMAP (ByteGeist software) or WIRETEX (Bur Beta) :D

Dervish
04-13-2005, 03:36 PM
maya actually displays it extactly like that( can be turned on/off ) , the smoothed shape and the original transparent over it.

ant...
04-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys. The person who actually did the render has shown me how to do it:

1) Clone the model, one version has meshsmooth on and the other has it turned off.

2) for the model without meshsmooth apply a wire material by clicking the checkbox in the basic parameters section of Material Editor.

3) Add a puch modifier to the wire model so that the wires go outside the smooth surface.

4) Render.

May I thank Simon Reeves and dd for sorting it out.:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2005, 05:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.