PDA

View Full Version : How do i UV texture something like this?

Tabby
04-11-2005, 09:59 AM
People, how do i go about unwrapping geometry like the mouth in this face? I've tried the UV texturing using Make UV, but i can't seem to reposition the mouth polys so that i can paint the inside of the mouth. Any suggestions?

Tabby
04-11-2005, 10:03 AM
ok, i think i got it now. But thanks anyway. :thumbsup:

Ayreon
04-11-2005, 10:05 AM
I would use a planar UV map on z axis. Then set viewport to UV Texture. The use drag tool to reposition vertices and move tool to reposition polys'. Strange that you can't move polygons. Are you getting an error or warning from modeler? Can you select polygons/points?

Ayreon

I see you got it! Good!

biliousfrog
04-11-2005, 03:37 PM
for anything tricky I create an endomorph, unweld the points, spread out the polys so that they are flat & even in the Z axis, apply a planar UV in the Z, deselect the UV map (very important for the next step), select the morph & delete it, merge points.

The idea is to create how you want the UV's to be before you apply a UV map to the surface. It can take some time on very complex surfaces but if it's very complex then it's going to be worth it. It's also handy for bendy pipes, kerbs etc which can be bent easily into a straight line before applying the desired UV co-ordinates

Tabby
04-12-2005, 03:10 AM
Strange that you can't move polygons. Are you getting an error or warning from modeler? Can you select polygons/points?

Thanks. No errors, what i meant was that it was cubersome to reposition the points in a model like this because no angle had them parallel to each other. It saved a lot of time for me to just use an Atlas projection, and then paint the red mouth parts over them. The atlas did all the separating for me, hehe. It divided the inside of the mouth into 3 flat parts, the upper, middle, and lower.

Carm3D
04-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Dude,

Use sub-division modeling for stuff like this.. It makes thinks so much simpler and easier to modify!

Tabby
04-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Dude,

Use sub-division modeling for stuff like this.. It makes thinks so much simpler and easier to modify!

I did use subdivision modeling, i just froze it first. Do you mean applying the UV map before freezing it?

Gollum
04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't freeze it at all, you can take any SubD object into layout and tweak your surface resolution for the render there, way superior to freezing IMO. Plus with fewer polygons it'd be a breeze to create a decent UV map based off frontal projection. You'd only need to drag a handfull of points around for an object such as yours, could be done in less than a minute.

I can understand your desire for automated UV generation, when I wasn't yet familiar with UVs myself, I always wanted a tool to do the unwrapping for me. Now that I'm used to UV editing, its very easy and straightforward to do this by hand. The results when doing it manually are far superior and easier to paint on than Atlas mapping IMO...

Carm3D
04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Yeah, what he said.

Tabby
04-13-2005, 03:13 AM
Thanks. I agree that SubD's are superior to frozen objects, in Layout. But for this character i had to make a compromise. Because um, hehe, i first had to go through hell to try and boolean subtract a leaf shape through the face. :) (see this WIP link here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=229950))

Steve Warner
04-13-2005, 03:34 AM
In the future, you can get the same basic results using Subpatch Weights. Place your leaf sketch in the background, then create a box. Add several horizontal cuts along the X axis and at least one down the Y axis. Then press tab to activate subpatch mode. Center the object using F2, then activate Symmetry mode. Use the drag tool to drag the points to conform to the leaf shape. Add more horizontal cuts as needed to get the basic overall shape. Then switch to Subpatch Weight and activate the Weights tool from the Map menu. Click and drag on the points that need to be "sharp." For the rest of the face, you can use Smooth Shift with a zero offset combined with the stretch tool (and a Action Center set to Mouse) to get the eyebrows, mouth, and cheeks.

Cheers!

Steve

Carm3D
04-13-2005, 03:43 AM
U could have also gotten the same result with a clip map.

Tabby
04-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll definitely try that subpatch weights thing next time (if i encounter as weird a character, hehe).

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2005, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.