PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Artist! how many hats do you have?

ashakarc
04-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Art history tells us that since the beginning of civilizations, artists were multi-talented professionals that combined several diciplines and excelled almost in all of them. I know Da Vinci comes to your mind now, but he is just the grand peak of a renaissance man that probably casted a large shadow over thousands of great people in history with multitude of talents.

Painters were sculptors, poets, designers, musicians, philosophers, scientists, designers, mathematicians, and high caliber intellects. That tells us that art is not exclusive in nature, but rather inclusive.

This phenomenon has seen several transformations in modern history, and new generation of artists emerged in the seventies and eighties that I call the Forgotten Heros of CG. These are the brilliant minds of programmers, computer scientists, and visionaries that helped pave the way for us to apply our creativity through this new medium they created. (Including this Forum).

Now, I sense there is fairly good number of people around these forums who are multi-talented i.e. Hybrid Artists. Painters/Musicians/Photographers/Sculptors/Calligraphers/Poets/Surgeons/Architects/Industrial Designers/Programmers/Athletes/Engineers/astronomers/ you name it!

How many hats do you have?

Cheers,

toink
04-10-2005, 12:40 PM
That's an interesting point..

I have always had very strong interest in serveral diciplines, that is not to say i excell in any of them, but i've been draw to many different aspects of creating. When i grew up i knew i wanted to at least be an actor, or a special effects guy or a painter or a director or make decisions in the overall design of stuf.. I just to think how can i ever combine all of these things?

Then when i was older and 3d began to surface i quickly realised it was the perfect opportunity
for me to combine all those elements i am interested in, for animating surely is, or should be, a form of acting. And setting up your own ideas and worlds in virtual space does kinda make you
a director and sfx guy and actor and editor all at once.

When i spoke with Kyle Balda (supervising animator on toystory) he said that he believed the problem we have in europe is that everyone here can do everything a bit, but nobody's really specialized. According to him one should ask himself, what do i want to do the most, and keep doing that and nothing else so you can excell in that.

Well it bothered me somewhat because i do enjoy doing all these different things (modeling, lighting, animating) and seeing it comes together in the end. I really cant make a choice and
in the end i don't think i will have to, but i guess what i am trying to say here is: It is indeed great to be able to do all of these things but don't you people feel that the more "hats" you put on the less likely you will excell in one area?

Toink

Maidith
04-10-2005, 12:52 PM
I do draw and paint since I can think, but another one of my main hobbies is writing stories and poems. I also made a practical training at a mediadesign agency and they liked the the design of a fashion catalogue I made. But aside of that, I'm not talented in many things, but I haven't tried a lot of things yet: like sculpture or photography. What I'm definitively a dead loss at, that's sports and music. :D

P.Alexander
04-10-2005, 01:22 PM
I've played football since I was a little kid, been playing for lets see, about 12 years now and I must say I still enjoy doing it. I also used to play tennis for about 6 years and did judo for about 4 years I think (which I didn't like very much). So ballsports kinda always have attracted me and I can't say i weren't good at them either.

My first 'creative' attempt was playing the recorder, which I totally sucked at. So I gave that up after 1 year. Some three years ago I found out about ps which got me into this 'scene', if you will and just recently I started to learn some maya, which works out just fine.
I'm also planning to take a drawing course as well, ah there's so much I would like to do...*sigh*

cha0t1c1
04-10-2005, 03:49 PM
I am a math minor, computer science major. contraposto specialization, learning to paint(this contest envolves my first painting). 3d animation(learning modelling... baby steps)...
I specialize in 3 types of martial arts...(tae kwon do, kung fu, karate)...not practicing them anymore though...
I write poetry (in two languages-arabic & english).
I like phiosophy...

But most people in here excel in such material...

ElysiumGX
04-10-2005, 04:00 PM
I enjoy playing the guitar. When I'm not playing, I listen to music noticing all the guitar riffs, drum fills, time changes, bass notes, background effects...enjoying it for its structure and complexity. Music helps me relax and enjoy art. I work in 3D apps, which I would consider to be similar to sculpture. What I learn from them, transfers over and improves my drawing abilities. The techniques I learn in drawing and painting just as easy transfers over to my photography. Photography gets me closer to nature, which inspires me to excel in all the above. It's all about observation for me.

I'm also great at math.

Boone
04-10-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm an artist that creates games.

My foundation is programming, followed by art and litrature. Then its sounds and music. Once all these crafts come together, I can present an experiance to others that I can truely call "self-expressive art".

artjunkie
04-11-2005, 01:32 AM
Very interesting topic... and I'm glad to hear others enjoy diverse interests under the 'artistic' umbrella. It's unfortunate that many of my friends and co-workers live, breathe and eat 'work'... giving none of their 'free time' to other artistic persuits.

A co-worker of mine once said she thought I was a bit of a 'renaissance man'. I promptly laughed in her face and assumed she was drunk. Many months later, I found myself wondering why she would have thought that. I believe it was because of my artistic interests outside of work.

Doodling and sketching is something I've always done... (even before I could write my name, apparently), but in later years I became interested in music (school band and choir), began writing poetry (mostly about high school girls which I didn't have the guts to ask out, lol) and eventually began studying in tradional art/history, photography, calligraphy, sculpture and training in the martial arts. Even today most of these persuits I still indulge in when I'm not drawing or painting.

I've not taken many psychology courses, and have no idea how the brain really works, but it seems creative people need to be engaged in various 'creative' activities - which are not limited to just one endeavour - to fulfill this driving desire to create! Amazing, but true. And now I can rejoice in the fact that others of my kind exist and we are not (according to some) freaks of nature! :D

Shaggy
04-11-2005, 02:18 AM
along with painting, drawing and computer art, im a good handyman, i work with wood, electricity, plumbing, and yard work.

pnoland
04-11-2005, 02:36 AM
I don't think there's really been a time in my life when I wasn't doing anything art related. Since around 4th grade in school I was interested in drawing and music and now being 22 my life is music and cg art. Programing was a short lived passion but it's still something I like to do from time to time...maybe that's why I'm also fond of website developement. That's a fine mix of art and programing. It was kind of weird that it wasn't until recently I realized that I've always had an interest in art. My parents hold onto a chalk image I did when I was young of a mountain scene...something I had forgot about making and really came as an inspiration to me in these later years...er, I know I'm still young but still. ;) I just think if a person is an artist they will find ways to take anything they're doing in their everyday life and make it more artfull...like you stated in all of those occupations there is an art to them. I guess being an artist is something you're born with...yes, some of it can be learned but to truely have that artistic vision always in your mind it's just something you either have or don't have.

Lunatique
04-11-2005, 07:32 AM
I have talked about this with my friends in the past, and we all agree on this:

Someone who is highly intelligent, imaginative, and creative, can pretty much choose to do anything creative and be able to excel at it. Although he might be naturally inclined to be better at one particular creative endeavor than others, he'll still be able to do those others much better than any average person. People like that, are basically gifted/talented--not in some mythical sense, but it just means they have certain characteristics that gives them an edge in creative things (like how the greatest atheletes need to be born with that physical edge--something training alone won't give you).

So it really shouldn't surprise anyone that a person who's excellent at one creative endeavor could probably excel at another creative endeavor--assuming he has time and energy to devote to more than one. Some people, are so gifted that they can master a number of different creative endeavors--but people like that are extremely rare. Usually, most only master one, out all the things they do. For example, I do a bunch of different things, but I don't seem to be particularly great at any. :D Maybe if I cut back on the number of things I do, I'll have a better chance at mastering something.

kemijo
04-11-2005, 02:49 PM
I have talked about this with my friends in the past, and we all agree on this:

Someone who is highly intelligent, imaginative, and creative, can pretty much choose to do anything creative and be able to excel at it. Although he might be naturally inclined to be better at one particular creative endeavor than others, he'll still be able to do those others much better than any average person. People like that, are basically gifted/talented--not in some mythical sense, but it just means they have certain characteristics that gives them an edge in creative things (like how the greatest atheletes need to be born with that physical edge--something training alone won't give you).

So it really shouldn't surprise anyone that a person who's excellent at one creative endeavor could probably excel at another creative endeavor--assuming he has time and energy to devote to more than one. Some people, are so gifted that they can master a number of different creative endeavors--but people like that are extremely rare. Usually, most only master one, out all the things they do. For example, I do a bunch of different things, but I don't seem to be particularly great at any. :D Maybe if I cut back on the number of things I do, I'll have a better chance at mastering something.

Quoted for agreement...although I think if chosen carefully, you can be quite successful at a great many similar things. I'm not sure what "mastering" something means, as any one that's vastly talented always feels that they have so much to learn (I'm looking in your direction Lunatique). If was able to work professionally and decently in all of my interests, and be at least able to sit in the same room with those that inspired me or got me interested in the field, I'd be happy with that.

StephanD
04-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Music:classic and electric Guitar(15yrs exp),drums,bass,piano&keyb and any instrument I can get my hands on.

3D and Sculpting:Clay,wood and digital.

doodlehead
04-11-2005, 03:56 PM
I think it's harder nowadays to be a renaissance man since there was overall less to know back then. Now there are huge amounts of highly specialized information - computing, the physical sciences, mathematics, engineering, social sciences. Vannevar Bush wrote a good piece on the explosion of knowledge in 1945 called "As We May Think". It's worth browsing through.

ashakarc
04-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Oh, great to see many actually have it!

I think it's harder nowadays to be a renaissance man since there was overall less to know back then. Now there are huge amounts of highly specialized information - computing, the physical sciences, mathematics, engineering, social sciences. Vannevar Bush wrote a good piece on the explosion of knowledge in 1945 called "As We May Think". It's worth browsing through.

You could say the same thing if you are living in the Renaissance age. Knowledge has no depth no span, it is infinite yet, it is a matter of choices we make in our lives to select what we want and ignore the rest.

Being a Renaissance person, you don't need much knowledge (if we can quantify it), rather the experimental willingness to cross borders and the ability to carry that Will through.

All of us are able to be Renaissance/Hybrid pros, a proof to that, check your kindergarten report card. It tells you how multi-talented you've been before got spoiled by schooling.

Cheers,
ashakarc

dbclemons
04-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Theatre is my second love. Acting and set design where minors in college. I made a few feable attempts to start a stage career, but it was harder than I expected. Come to think of it, any art career is tough.

I also cook a mean omelette.

-David

doodlehead
04-11-2005, 07:24 PM
I don't think that's true about knowledge not being with span or depth. You've got to admit that getting to the frontiers of mathematics will take much longer now than during the Renaissance, when there was just in absolute terms less known mathematics to know. The same for physics - and now there are so many subdisciplines in physics. There is just way more to learn nowadays before you can even approach the frontiers of what is known and add to the sum of human knowledge in the sciences nowadays. And most of what people are researching nowadays is of little to no direct interest to you or me.

As for me, I dabble in stuff and am nowhere near the edges of what is known. I do a little drawing, a little programming, a little sculpting of little sculptures, a little music writing and on and on.

ALSO:

"it is a matter of choices we make in our lives to select what we want and ignore the rest."

That's the thing about the people during the Renaissance that you were initially pointing towards - they were able to span the whole of what was then human knowledge - medicine, engineering, mathematics, sculpture, painting, natural sciences. They weren't ignoring bits and focusing on this or that specifically, which I think is where we got the term Renaissance man.

adam-crockett
04-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Its funny, I was thinking about starting a thread just like this a few days ago, then got distracted and didn't : )

In addition to my professional character work, I go home to my art studio and indulge in drawing, painting, photography, sculpture, assemblage, collage, music (mostly guitar, but anything I can get my hands on will do), and sometimes writing.

My fantasy is making short animated films that somehow incorporate all of my creative interests.

Mostly I just play with my little boy anymore.

ashakarc
04-11-2005, 07:59 PM
I don't think that's true about knowledge not being with span or depth.

The expression here is that knowledge is infinite. The metaphor signifies there is no limits to it, that is why I used quantitative description.

There is no questioning to the fact that human knowledge has grown in span and depth, which in turn makes it more difficult to cross over, however if we examine the single human being level of activity nowadays, is much higher than that 4 centuries ago. The sophistication of reasoning gets higher with every new generation. Without doing much, we are more accomplished (Renaissance) than someone who lived 4 centuries ago.

Some ideas of Aristotle look so funny for a 10 year old now, but other ideas he brought in are immortal. In general, we may say knowledge is relative to space-time and culture, and the cross-over is inevitable.

Cheers,
ashakarc

ashakarc
04-11-2005, 08:18 PM
My fantasy is making short animated films that somehow incorporate all of my creative interests.

In architecture, there is a term called a "Total Architect" or a "Master Builder" which denotes someone with diverse mastery of things that lead to constructing one structure. I guess with this technology, it is very realistic that we can train ourselves or the next generation to be Total Artists or Master Artists.
---------

just shaking my head around the Y axis, for amazing!

adam-crockett
04-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Basically, we are the new auteurs.

au·teur theory
Pronunciation: O-'t&r-
Function: noun
: a view of filmmaking in which the director is considered the primary creative force in a motion picture

Now the director can write, design, create, animate, light, and edit the whole film! To be clear, I'm not thinking feature length, though I don't think thats entirely impossible.

Eterna2
04-12-2005, 02:40 AM
my professor says i lack focus... i think so too, but i can help myself... i am too much a sagittarius... heehe :)

jack of all trades, master of none... i dabble in arts, mathematics, engineering, life sciences, programming, martial arts and poetry.

erilaz
04-12-2005, 03:02 AM
I'm a better martial artist than a digital artist... i've also been acting for about 10 years.

JA-forreal
04-12-2005, 03:35 AM
I'm just at home with a chunk of wood and a "Foredom Flex shaft " carving tool as I am at 3d modeling in Wings3d or Blender. I started out with the wood carving and moved into making shapes with virtual 3d art somehow. I think that 3d modeling has taught me more about shaping objects as it is a non-destructive more re doable process than working with wood, in which all cuts are final.

Yeah, I look forward to booting up to a PC that has a keyboard that has bits of wood dust in it. Hehehe. That's living. I will promote some of my woodworking products with this computer media stuff at some later day. I may even develop some woodworking DVD's and what not. You have to use everything you know, ya know.

Have fun!

tevih
04-12-2005, 04:42 AM
interesting topic! And fun to see so many interesting people! :)

I like writing, I do web design professionally, graphic design, photography, im the on-hand fix it man and computer guy, I draw, play guitar, getting better at 2d animation, and I'm learning digital painting and 3d animation. Physics, math, engineering, science, all that stuff always fascinates me.

Lunatique, I had the same discussion with some friends a few years ago, though they disagreed with me. They were not the brightest bunch of blokes and probably just couldn't relate.

Starting to see a trend here....

Wintermute
04-12-2005, 06:25 AM
I've been drawing for as long as I can remember. (even drew the General Lee in kindergarten! –I wish I knew where that pic went to)

At work, I'm a graphic designer. That alone entails a number of different disciplines and ranges of knowledge from page layout to color theory to typography to photo manipulation and more.

At home 3D is a hobby, I maintain and improve my house, including things like adding new light fixtures or replacing faulty plumbing. I used to do landscape, irrigation installation and general construction..all different physical "creative" jobs. I used to do jewelry and metalsmithing in college, that was a lot of fun! the space for a small studio would be great right about now :D

It seems that as long as I get to create something, I'm happy :)

oh yeah, I cook a lot too :drool:

great topic! :beer:

_slvl
04-12-2005, 11:05 PM
My list:
I do some...(any particular order)
drawing, video, 3d, photography, graphic design (web layouts, logo's, covers, labels etc.), programming (some html, php), animation, occasionally some carpentry (If I need another closet or something), philosophy (if you can call it that, mostly me thinking about stuff),...
I might have missed some stuff.

I think (very important), I learn, I explore my possibilities.

Basicly I do a whole lot of things at a decent level. But I can't really say that I excel in anything in perticular.

Stonecutter
04-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Personally, I am a professional gemcutter, carver, and jeweller...
I also paint for recreation, although I have sold some, also have sold some digital work, which I framed and matted myself, since I also do carpentry and joinery... I have a long-term animation project underway, and am involved in getting together some Stereolithography equipment, so I can combine my interests in sculpture, CG, and gem work, as well as including holography and fiber optics, all things that I have worked with in the past...
(I also play drums, and have a KORG M1 symthesizer in my studio, on which I do a little composition... )
Of course, some of these I specialize in, but I have been studious in absorbing all of these activities, so that if you hand me an airbrush, a flexible-shaft handpiece, or an Oxy-Acetyline torch, not only can I 'hold my own', but I can claim some facility with all...

And, since I live on a sailboat, I also am a decent navigator, mechanic, and general repairman, having done a fair bit of machining and lathe work, as well as rebuilding such things as carburetors for my diesel furnace onboard...

We live in an age when flexibility needs to be the engine that drives our journeys... ;)

ozhaver
04-16-2005, 02:09 AM
Well...

I kind of forsook most of my old trades to focus into being a painter & draftsman.

But I am a lil bit of a performing artist too, been involved in theatre (acting, light & sound, stage design, make up design, costume design). I used to play the saxophone (soprano and tenor), and the recorder, and a bit of flute and piano too. I also have done some singing though now only loved ones, and the shower could catch me singing. I've also danced...stage thingy when young...Somehow now I am not always mentally prepared for publics.

I also write...I recently picked this up again. I've done graphic design, but it's not my passion (though people bug me a lot for this...!!!@#&$%). I also quit architecture school...but know the trade (unfortunately I kind of have a problem with today's approach towards it). I love philosophizing and wasting time thinking about "stuff", love a challenging argument...Languages too!

Sports never caught me long enough of those...I only liked volleyball and swimming- and karate do, but I prefer dirty fighting. I am desperate to learn Chinese sword fighting but here there are no teachers of that art. Are hiking and mountain biking sports? If so, then I am definitely a lover of these.

Domestic things: cooking, and overall handyman stuff.

Overall and in short, I am a humanities faculty student...so I have a lot from where to fish. :)

csDevil
04-18-2005, 03:30 AM
First of all, I'm a musician. Not a very good musician, but very versatile, tending to a real calm and experimental style. Beatles, Björk and every Bossa Nova player are my greatest influences. Play guitar, drums and bass (a whole one-man band! heheh)

4 years ago I became a photographer. Lights then became my passion :love: . Studied some physics, but it was too abstract for me, since I have nothing more than high-school physics. Still, the creative side of photography kept with me. Recently, VERY influenced by architecture and arts, mainly oriental.

2 years ago I opened 3DStudio Max for the first time. WOAH! that was SO amazing! a whole universe was opening in front of my eyes. Of course, I still can't really understand what is this universe. Some difficulties with 3dstudio led me to 2D -> Photoshop and Painter (this one really stays in my heart. lovely!)

My father ALWAYS wanted me to be a medic (he is and my sister is about to graduate), so he would teach me every thng about the human body.

I almost forgot: 2 years formally studing theatre, plus some independent researches that halped me a LOT in animating.

Summaryzing: I play guitar (7 years), bass (4 years) and drums (2 years), I'm a fotographer (4 years) and i'm learning the power of 3D (2 years). And know lots about the human body because of my family and I can act. Oh, I'm 18 years old.

It's not even NEAR to what I wanted to be. I believe that an artist should be much more flexible.

DrFx
04-20-2005, 12:55 PM
I am working as an architect and architectural viz. I'm also a bass player for more than 10 years, keyboardist for 15, and fairly good at subtractive synthesis. I draw since I was able to hold a crayon, I speak Portuguese, English, German and French (and read and understand Spanish and Italian). Recently I've been very interested in learning computer stuff, including C++.

These are things I always took an interest in, so went and learned them! Some better than others, of course, but the thing I've noticed is that when you get into a field (like music, or visual arts, or languages), then all other disciplines of that field become easier.

MKStudios
04-21-2005, 11:38 AM
What a cool thread! So many other creative individuals with a wide range of talents and interests!

That is the main reason I refer to myself (only in passing) as a Renaissance Artiste. I have a lot of different interests and skills, drawing/painting, sculpting, model building, guitar, and so on.

The detriment is that it works like Attention Deficit Disorder sometimes when I get discouraged or reach a roadblock in one interest or experience inspiration, develop another interest, I move on to something completely different. This tends to keep me from really focusing on one area of creativity and really honing those skills to where my work is satisfactory. :banghead:

Does anybody else experience times when you get in your own way from really excelling at something you want to do?

jarvis2824
04-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Hrm... well as for me I am an animator. Beyond that, I draw, paint (not very much though), write stories and poems (though not very often), sing and play the clarinet (which I'm awfully rusty at). I am good with mathematics, physics, and am an amatuer mechanic. I've held jobs as far ranging from waiter to groundskeeper to web designer to caricaturist. I just recently earned my black belt in Tae Kwon Do and look forward to earning another one in a different discipline, though I haven't chosen that second discipline yet. Beyond that I have a curiosity about business and investing, and have even traded stocks on the NYSE (online, not as a floor trader).

A few hobbies include reading, camping trips, biological studies, and making schematics of things I take apart and put back together. I've never thought of myself as a Renaissance Man or a Total Artist, but I have been called a Renaissance Man before.

-Chris

tatiana
04-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Cool to see how many different ways creative people here find ways to express themselves. :)

At the moment I'm a toy designer developing concept art for toys and other "novelty" items including costumes and seasonal decor. In the past I've also done professional creative work as a graphic designer, web designer, user interface artist, software quality assurance associate/artist (worked on Freehand software) multimedia artist (2D animation, storyboarding, layout and character design), illustrator (primarily children's books).

My first 4 years at university, I studied Biomedical science specializing in veterinary medicine before transferring to another university for four more years (I like to learn, heh) to finish a degree in Communication Arts and Marketing. While I was studying Biomed, I worked as a veterinary technician (examinations, x-ray development, laboratory analysis, dentistry, surgery prep and assistance).

I went back to school for a couple of years recently (working full-time and school part-time) to study 3D modeling and animation and I plan to grow in that direction with my creative career. Eventually. Still lots of stuff to learn. That's what keeps me challenged. Learning new things, developing new techiques, understanding new tools and growing as an artist.

Growing up, I learned how to play the piano, clarinet and violin (still play piano for relaxation) and was in band and orchestra; I've done quite a bit of commissioned artwork (portraits, landscapes); I like to work with clay and do small sculptures. I paint in watercolor, oils, acrylics and do airbrush. My sister is showing me how to do wood carving (she has a small studio at home). I'm working on 2 children's picture books and writing a YA novel. Have a comic book on the backburner. I'm working with a couple of friends on an animation short.

So, I keep busy. :D

t

RayenD
04-22-2005, 12:38 AM
I used to be a musican (played guitar in few signed local bands over here in my early 20s, that was fun hehe). I still play the guitar on regular basis (pubs and jam sessions) and still love it (if I'd be a millionare I'd rather play guitar than do CG), but I don't do stage jumps anymore, unfortunately.

I also used write B and C class fantasy/horror stories (few releases), mainly for games, but recently there is no need, games are not original anymore and I got a bit tired of it.

I try to return to painting (this time digitally), but it was so long when I abandoned it, that I am on the very basic level (read I suck), but no matter what I still enjoy it :).

Creative people tend to create stuff in different areas to keep their sanity ;).

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2005, 12:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.