PDA

View Full Version : flickering issue

deivys20
04-09-2005, 11:44 PM
hi guys. I have run into another problem with my after effect scene. I create a quicktime movie. When I go ahead and preview it, in the parts that the camera moves quickly the screen flickers like hell. It just happens when the camera does a quick panning, whenever the camera is moving slow it just plays normally, no flickering or anything. The file is just a maya targa sequence with some effects on it. Nothing crazy just brightness and contrast, bit of noise and stuff like that. I tried adding motion blur to the layer, render in fields and nothing seems to fix it. Do u guys might have an idea why this is happening. Thanks.

phooey74
04-10-2005, 05:47 AM
If the camera movement was done in Maya, the motion blur in AE isn't going to help you. If that's the case, render out more frames for those sections in Maya. Perhaps if you are panning and there is no movement, you could render a larger still and animate the pan in AE. That way you could use the motion blur in AE and only have to render one frame in Maya.

Jeff

deivys20
04-10-2005, 03:15 PM
thanks for replying. However, I cant add any more frames to the animation because the panning is suppost to be fast. Also I cant render a still image because it doesnt work with what I doing. Thanks.

Ian Jones
04-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Sounds like a screen redraw problem. So... when you play back the movie, regardless of what you did to it in AFX it will 'skip' and 'tear' the screen because quicktime can't keep up with the data rate in order to display it on screen correctly. Slower moving frames don't have this effect because A, you don't notice it with slower moving objects and B, because frames with fast movement need more pixels redrawn on screen. This effect is really only ever visible on large, uncompressed video when you try to play it back.

deivys20
04-11-2005, 02:44 PM
ok. thanks for that info. So how do I fix it. I tried windows avi with divx compression and althought it reduced it a little it still flickers.

M25
04-11-2005, 04:22 PM
What's your output size? Is this flicker visible if you frame step the final QT movie? Cos if it is, then it sounds like a field order problem. If it's going to be only for the computer media you shouldn't have fields in the output, just a straight progressive film. Have you checked the interpret footage to see that everything is correct there too?

deivys20
04-11-2005, 05:55 PM
the size is about 150 megs. The resolusion is ntcs. I havent tried frame step. How do I do that? I dont have fields on my final output. I used it one time to see if that was the problem but I since that didnt fix the problem I went ahead and didnt use them. Actually, the way i did my animation, I had tons of layer. I created a targa sequence out of it in after fx. Then, I created a new project and imported the whole targa sequence and add some effects to it.

XanderFX
04-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Is it flickering in the final rendered movie playing in your QT player or during the AE RAM preview. Sometimes what you see in the preview is not what you get in the final output especially when it comes to effects. Render out the movie and watch it in Quicktime and then if its a problem still we can troubleshoot from there.

deivys20
04-12-2005, 12:55 AM
its not ram preview. Its the final quicktime movie output.

igami
07-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Deivys! you have too many A.E. problems! hahahaha

deivys20
07-16-2005, 01:42 AM
Deivys! you have too many A.E. problems! hahahaha

hahahaha. Whats up man. BTW, I still havent fix it though. I might try another software and see if I can fix it.

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2005, 01:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.