PDA

View Full Version : Cant get Satellite to work. Mac OS X + G4 + MiniMac

aliasnewb
04-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Alright guys, this is my first post here, so I hoping for some help. Much appreciated in advance. Here's my setup: I have a PowerBook G4 and a MiniMac both with Maya 6.5 and Satellite installed. I later realized that I only need Satellite installed on the slave, but whatever for now. So, I'd like to make the Mac Mini the salve and the G4 my master.

Now, I have read and followed all of the other posts on the CG talk forumsregarding this issue and had our network admin even take a look at it. But we still can't seem to get it to work. I have a direct connection between the G4 and the Mac mini. I can ping each of them. I have double checked and rechecked the maya.rayhosts file information, locations and ip address and port number. We found out that something else was using the standard port 7103 so we switched it to 7203. xinetd as well as inetd are running on the MacMini slave, but I don't see them on the G4 master. Should they be?

I try to test render a scene, but nothing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Luke

bgawboy
04-09-2005, 11:36 PM
What does the render report when trying to connect to the slave?
This happens the first time you render with mr.

Does the mi-raysat service on your G4 master match, ie did you also change it to 7203?

To turn on xinet services through the GUI, go into System Preferences->(Internet&Network)Sharing.
Choose the Services tab and check FTP services.
Were any of those services on for your G4?

aliasnewb
04-10-2005, 03:55 PM
BGAWBOY:

Im not sure where to find the render report. Are you talking about the script editor in Maya 6.5?

Yes, I changed mi-raysat service on the G4 master to 7203. Do I need to run the netsetup on the G4 master also?

Xinet services is running on the master G4 Im assuming becasue FTP services has been turned 'on' on both the G4 master and macmini slave.

aliasnewb
04-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Well, Im not sure exactly what I did other than change the ports back to their default ports and found that the maya.rayhosts file still had the freaking .txt extension on it after I used the plain text in the text editor. I wish I could elaborate more, but that's really all I did after hours of frustration. Thanks for your help BGAWBOY.

Luke

bgawboy
04-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah. The text editor has bitten a few folks, including me. You have to make sure you are using plain text (which is not the default as far as I can tell), and that you actually write maya.rayhosts without the .txt extension, as you have found.

The render report goes into an output window, though I'm not exactly sure which one on a Mac. Go into the mental ray render Globals, and look in the Translation section to increase its verbosity. For Export Verbosity, I like to use 'Progress Messages' when debugging setup with multiple machines. When that is running, each job identifies which machine it is run on at the end of the line.

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2005, 09:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.