PDA

View Full Version : Save with tracing paper?

klingspor
04-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Greetings my fellow painters!

I'm playing with Painter IX's quick clone feature and have some trouble saving the results.
That is to say, Painter saves the file properly, but it doesn't save exactly what I see in Painter... it only saves what the clone brush itself painted, but without the tracing paper below.

The saved files are quite different from what's seen in the window and much less useful to me... I've attached two images to illustrate the problem: The first shows the actual file that Painter saves, the second is a screenshot of what Painter displays in its own window... and what I'd like it to save.

Is there any way I could get Painter to save exactly what I see in the Painter window?

Thanks,
Stefan

Jinbrown
04-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Greetings my fellow painters!

I'm playing with Painter IX's quick clone feature and have some trouble saving the results.
That is to say, Painter saves the file properly, but it doesn't save exactly what I see in Painter... it only saves what the clone brush itself painted, but without the tracing paper below.

Sounds like you need to spend some time reading the User Guide or Painter IX Help > Help Topics to understand Clone painting.

The Painter IX File > Quick Clone command is new in this version and all it does is save some steps in preparing the image to do the Clone painting. In previous versions, we had to use the following steps to do what File > Quick Clone does:

1. File > Clone

2. On the Clone, use Ctrl/Command+A or Select > All

3. On the Clone, use Ctrl/Command+X or Edit > Clear

4. On the Clone, use Ctrl/Command+T or Canvas > Tracing Paper

Again, Painter IX File > Quick Clone is one step that replaces four steps.

The saved files are quite different from what's seen in the window and much less useful to me... I've attached two images to illustrate the problem: The first shows the actual file that Painter saves, the second is a screenshot of what Painter displays in its own window... and what I'd like it to save.

When we paint on a Clone, only the paint we apply is present on the Clone, just as it would be with any other painting. In other words, where we paint, there's paint. Where we don't paint, there's no paint.

Remember that before you used File > Quick Clone you opened the original image?

When we use File > Quick Clone, the last of the four steps that command replaces (listed above) is to turn on Tracing Paper.

When Tracing Paper is turned on, what we see is a 50% opacity view of the original image from which the Clone was made (or of which the Clone is an exact copy).

Tracing Paper is just a convenience for the artist that allows him/her to see the Clone Source image (original image) from which color information is taken when he/she paints using a Cloners brush variant or another brush variant set to Clone Color.

It's used as a reference or guide but the artist can also do Clone painting or paint on the Clone with non-Cloners brush variants with Tracing Paper turned off.

Most artists who do Clone painting toggle Tracing Paper off now and then to get a better look at how their Clone painting is progressing. Then, if they choose, it can be toggled on again.

Tracing Paper is not part of your Clone painting so when you save the file, close both the Clone image and the Clone Source image (original image), then open the Clone again you'll only see what you painted.

Is there any way I could get Painter to save exactly what I see in the Painter window?

Thanks,
Stefan

No. As explained above, when you save the Clone painting only the painting you did is saved, just as it would be with any other painting. Again, Tracing Paper is not part of your Clone painting. It's only a way to see a 50% opacity view of the Clone Source image (original image).

Once the Clone painting is saved and closed and the Clone Source image (original image) is also closed, the two images are disconnected. If you want to work on your Clone painting again using the same Clone Source image (original image) and see a 50% opacity view of the Clone Source image (original image) while painting on the Clone, you'll need to make the connection again between the two images. To do that:

1. Open the Clone.

2. Open the Clone Source image (original image).

3. Use File > Clone Source and, in the flyout menu, check the file name of the original image.

The connection is made again and Painter IX knows where to take color information when you paint on your Clone using a Cloners variant or another brush variant set to Clone Color. Now you can toggle Tracing Paper on and off as needed using Ctrl/Command+T or Canvas > Tracing Paper.

TIP: If we don't specify a Clone Source image (see Step 3 above), by default Painter will take color information from the currently selected Pattern when we paint using a Cloners variant or another brush variant set to Clone Color.

There's lots more to this feature than what I've explained above, so do take time to read:

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > Cloning and Tracing

klingspor
04-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks for that very extensive reply, Jinny!

I realize that what I'm intending to do isn't exactly how the quick clone feature was originally meant to be used. But the result just happens to look a lot better in this particular case with the tracing paper turned on, hence my question...

As there's apparently no way to have Painter save the file the way I need it, I'll work around the problem by:

1) Saving the cloned file normally

2) Comping that file above the original image at 50% or so opacity.

After all, Painter does exactly that internally.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2005, 10:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.