PDA

View Full Version : is the software important?

Antonio79
04-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Hello! I am currently studying at the academy of art in san francisco, I'm taking an associate degree in vfx, but the only software I know and I'm learning is After Effects. I can do lots of good compositing and vfx in ae but I still don't know other softwares (I mean I can use a lot of other softwares but not about compositing). My question is, if I send a compositing demo reel to a company, and let's say the company likes it, but then they see in my resume that I still have to learn other softwares like shake, combustion etc... could they hire me anyway or would this be a problem? thanks

boboroshi
04-11-2005, 04:52 AM
Generally, someone can tell if you have the eye or not. Compositing is alla bout the look of a shot, so if you don' have the eye, it usually doesn't matter what software you know.

That being said, most major places aren't going to hire you and give you a month to learn a piece of software. they want results, yesterday.

I think there's a lot of benefit from learning the science behind what you're doing. Understanding what a color correction or transfer mode does mathematically is critical to what you're doing.

JDex
04-11-2005, 04:57 AM
You should probably pick up a student license of a nodal compositor while you're still in school and study up on how to use it effectively... then you're covered... most nodal comp apps are pretty similar...

hiphopcr
04-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Don't limit yourself by only knowing AE, the more of the big four you know (DF, Shake, Combstion, AE) the more opportunities you'll have

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2005, 05:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.