PDA

View Full Version : On the right track ? - Conceptual Artist/Matte Painter

TheCleaner
04-09-2005, 01:18 PM
As with so many on these forums no doubt (especially the 2D) art has been in your life from a very young age, for me it was before a time i can even remeber, and its always been there.

Anyway, through the years ive done everything, education wise, to involve art as much as possible, there by, always selecting it as a subject choice. Ive also notice, uncoinciously, i spend most of my apparently 'time wasting' time (where im just on the PC doing nothing) looking at art, visiting artists sites, getting so much inspiration

I am 18, and in college in the UK studying Advanced Level Fine Art; under a teacher who was also my personal tutor for many years, A-Level Physics; so a scientific understanding of the world around us is certainly present, and A-level Computing; programming mainly (i find it a bit boring).
Im very enthusiastic about new technology, in the know about pretty much all the lastest PC components, and from this, ive ended up transfering the creativity i believe i have, through to the computer, where i now work on my newly purchased Intuos3 Tablet, and sometimes give a shot at 3D modelling

I had applied for university to do 'Computer Games Art', though have realised its mostly involved 3D working...and my 3D just isnt strong enough to make a go at it as a career, i would prefer to keep it hobby level. I enjoy 2D art far more also.. the only thing thats held my art back.. is other subjects and out of college life, and i have seen my art suffer for that, and i found a solution !

So now, instead, im applying to do a 1 year foundation diploma in A&D (various paths within this... fine art, graphics design, sculture....) at Art College (1 of only 4 in the UK) which will give me 100% dedicated work time to art, at least 3 hours a week life study from a model, and good footing for a degree at university (not sure of courses as yet, suggestions appriciated !). Also it will determine if its art it is i want to do at all. Since its full time, it will definetly give that taste of having a career in art, but also its not as commiting as university, since its one year, and free

What i want to know, is this the right route im taking to one day become an artist like Yanick Dusseau, Greg Pro, etc... Its where i want to be, and where ive wanted to end up, all my life.. despite the many fads of 'policeman', 'lawyer', 'architect', being an artist has always been the dream i thought wouldnt be that possible (when i was young, i just didnt realise you could make a career from art, since i enjoy it so much, i thought its to good to be true)

Cicinimo
04-11-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm at the tail end of my first year of a four year art college, and my aspirations are similar to yours. I've given thought to the same issues you're pondering. I think that the path you're taking makes perfect sense in terms of reaching your desired goals. Obviously it will take much more education that the initial year of studies, but I think that first year is a fine place to start.

I have friends who swear by the art programs at their respective art colleges across the US, and each program seems to differ dramatically from the others. I have a friend who is a die-hard advocate for classically oriented ateliers. Everyone seems to be taking a path in art education that varies slightly from the next guy's, and alot of people seem to be absolutely sure that their way is the best way. I've found that how you study art matters a lot less than how focused and devoted you are to art. There are artists that I admire who come from all different minds of education. The common thread really seems to be that they are hard working and devoted hour after hour to their studies.

I've second guessed my education choices so many times its not even funny. My art school tends to be very 'fine arts' oriented. Sometimes I feel like I'm fighting for every inch of appreciation. This up hill battle has mostly inspired me to work harder at proving myself. My hope for you is that you'll be in a place where you're inspired to work extra hard, because thats where all the goal-reaching is really at.

gregpro
07-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Trust me, you don't want to be like Greg Pro.

Lunatique
07-13-2005, 04:46 AM
Hey Greg! Good to see you in these parts of the woods. I hope you stick around.

And what's wrong with being you?

Peddy
07-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Disclaimer: my post is not even remotely constructive

Trust me, you don't want to be like Greg Pro.
hahahahahah. hah.

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2005, 07:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.