PDA

View Full Version : Waterhouse techniques

Mahtan
04-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone

I am an art student and I like to make some research about the painting and drawing styles of my favorite artists, I know some people considers copying the style of another artist not the most proper way to learn how to draw and paint, but I think it is an excellent complement to what they teach you at school

I was wondering if anyone knows of a book or link about the techniques of Waterhouse
I am not looking for books of links with a lot of pictures because I have a lot of those already

hope anyone can help
thanks

slaughters
04-08-2005, 10:17 PM
....I was wondering if anyone knows of a book or link about the techniques of Waterhouse
I am not looking for books of links with a lot of pictures because I have a lot of those alreadyYou want a book or link, but you are not looking for books of links?

Confusing. What is it again that you are looking for?

Mahtan
04-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Sorry if I was not more specific

I do not want links to galleries
I would like some links to articles related to his techniques

what i do not want from a book is just a pretty catalog of his paintings
I would like to know if there are any writings about the process he took to complete a painting

Lunatique
04-09-2005, 04:44 AM
Waterhouse is one of my favorites, and I have every single book published on him, including fictional novel about a love story between him and his model. :D

Waterhouse is a mystery, because there are barely any personal letters, journals..etc of his, so much of what's known about him is based on speculation (the only artist even more mysterious than him is probably Godward, whoes family was so ashamed of him that they burned all of his personal stuff when he died).

To my knowledge, there aren't any clearly documented information about his technique. However, there are quite many unfinished paintings of his you can see online and in published books. They show paintings half-way finished, and they are quite rough looking. All the ones I've seen, looks like he scumbles his way through the initial stages with earth tones, then starts laying on the paint pretty thick. He's known to do detailed drawings and studies of his subjects for preparation, and there are quite a bit of those floating around for you to see as well.

Mahtan
04-10-2005, 12:29 AM
wow .... would be nice to have a collection like that
yeah.. I had heard about he was a very misterios guy but I had some hope

so I guess my only optiion is to try to figure out his technique from his unfinished paintings

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2005, 12:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.