PDA

View Full Version : Get ready to customize UT 2003

proton
09-30-2002, 04:49 PM
http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/modeling/UT2003/index.html

This is a great new tutorial for everyone!:bounce:

BrandonD
09-30-2002, 05:14 PM
I find it interesting that UT2003 was created with Lightwave and MAX, but ships with Maya PLE. It must have something to do with the publisher...

MCronin
09-30-2002, 06:18 PM
I pretty sure that Unreal Ed was used to create levels, while Maya was used for Character creation and animation. I remember seeing job postings over the last couple years for the upcoming Unreal games and they all were asking for Maya animators and modelers.

BrandonD
09-30-2002, 06:28 PM
Now I don't work at Digital Extremes, so I can't speak for them, but from what I've been told the whole bundling of Maya PLE was a surprise since "We don't have a single Maya license." That's why my guess was that it was something that came from the publisher, Epic. Either way, it makes no difference - good game and cool tools.

J.P. Eekels
09-30-2002, 06:54 PM
It does sound a bit confusing and I'll explain it a bit more.

At Digital Extremes we used both Lightwave and Max for Unreal Championship AND UnrealTournament2003.
The characters were animated in Max (Since our animators were most familiar with this package) and the level geometry was mostly made in Lightwave.

Since these two games were a joined effort between Digital Extremes and Epic Games, more packages were used.. :)

Epic Games used Maya for their animation part and Max for levels. One artist there also uses Lightwave.. :)

So a whole host of packages were used in the creation process. But since Epic owns Unreal and all products they made the MAYA deal. The publisher has nothing to do with it.

-P

mjm
09-30-2002, 07:51 PM
:thumbsup:

heavyness
09-30-2002, 09:51 PM
that is what maya does best, gets it's logo and name out there for the genreal public [hint hint, wink wink Discreet!]

as a 3ds max artist, it's sad that a game made with 3ds max it shipping with maya. i guess this is how maya keeps gmax down.

anyways, i've used Unrealed.exe and like it alot, except it crashed alot. does anyone know if the new version that comes with UT2003 is more stable? anyone have a link on were i can find out more about it? i did find this...

udn.epcigames (http://udn.epicgames.com/)

but it doesn't have a list of new features and improvements, etc..

thanks in advance.

dark_lotus
10-01-2002, 05:26 AM
YAY!

Now all I need is a computer that can run ut2k3. :cry:

Oh well,

red_oddity
10-01-2002, 09:17 AM
UnrealEd shouldn't crash...not since version 2 (since UT patch 413 and higher i believe) came out anyway, not sure about UnrealEd 3 though...
Sure am glad to see they have full LW support now (always was a pain in the butt for me to convert to Max eventhough i always build everything in LW)

bentllama
10-01-2002, 07:31 PM
Eekels:

Any idea when a character/animation tutorial is gonna come out?

I am a Maya zealot and love the fact that it came with UT2K3! :)

MAYA for the MASSES! :)

element412
10-02-2002, 02:09 AM
the question is.. can we construct a whole level in lightwave then transfer it to (unrealed i guess) and make so minor change... so things works...or its only some objetcs????
doing utk3 level in lightwave seems awesome!!

element

J.P. Eekels
10-02-2002, 02:14 AM
Yeah, DM-Flux2 in UT2003 was so constructed. The lighting was baked on.

This was one of the first maps done this way.

-P

proton
10-02-2002, 02:36 AM
Great to see you stop by J.P.

Thanx!

Lee3dee
10-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Yeah, Thx J.P.
But could u explain something to me. I bought UT2003, I already own maya, I also installed the Maya PLE so i could get the UT2003 plugins, but they don't work with my maya 4 at all. Are you guys going to release a standalone plugin for us users that own maya already and want to create models for it.

Thanks for making another addicting game.

Hirigashi
(The Flak Cannon is amazing now)

J.P. Eekels
10-04-2002, 02:45 PM
:)
Anything related to Maya is Epic's thing. We haven't even used it here. So any questions about Maya related subjects should be directed at Epic Games.

Sorry about this.

-P

jRocket
10-05-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by negteen
as a 3ds max artist, it's sad that a game made with 3ds max it shipping with maya. i guess this is how maya keeps gmax down.

Incorrect. They are working with Discreet to provide a gmax pack for UT2k3. It seems that they want to offer as many choices as possible to the community.

Of course anyone can still use the Actor-X plugin to get content from regular old Max or Maya. I have heard that there is one being developed for Lightwave as well.

heavyness
10-05-2002, 02:24 PM
thats good to hear. i'm glad Discreet will get "some" credit. if you look at the back of the UT2003 box, it has the maya logo, and even a quick blurb of "using maya to edit levels..."

can't wait to start editting!

bentllama
10-08-2002, 07:00 AM
UT2K3 character files released:

www.polycount.com

They are all in MAX format [CS] and I will be converting them over to Maya this week for those Maya users that want to dissect them...I will post the Maya files for download on my website...

Thanks to James "Gwot" Edwards and Steve "Sgt. Science" Jones, both motion monks, at DE for releasing these files...

the bentllama will live! :twisted:

muhwhahahahahaha!:twisted:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.