PDA

View Full Version : Weeding out the garbage and improving the site

FloydBishop
04-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if it's just been an odd week, but I've noticed a HUGE influx of trolls, intolerant people, and general bull crap on the forum. Is there any way to cut down on this? It is a moderated forum, after all.

Maybe there could be some kind of three strikes policy or something? Break one of the three main rules more than three times, and there is a penalty. Maybe a three week lock on your account or something?

For example, one person asks a question (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=228311) about being to animate on the level of a Pixar animator if given the time and encouragement from the staff that Pixar animators receive, and people jump all over the guy. There's no reason for it at all.

If professionals are supposed to frequent this forum, something needs to be done to keep tings civil and professional. It's fast becoming a CG version of Aint It Cool News. I understand it's a HUGE site, and the membership grows more and more each day.

Maybe something as simple as making people put in their real names (and enforce that as well as possible, I know there would still be loopholes most likely) would encourage people to follow the three rules:

Be courteous and polite. Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right.
Engage your brain before your mouth. You are responsible for your own words and any harm they may cause.
Don't dilute the forums with irrelevant and unnecessary fluff. CGTalk is a professional, moderated forum. It's a place to talk about all things related to computer graphics.

DevilHacker
04-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Awesome, I couldn’t have put it better myself...
I share your thoughts that there needs to be more moderation, but I know that the moderators are human like the rest of us, so they cant catch everything… Just curious but does this form crack down on people for breaking rules, much like floyd said, it doesn’t seem like it...
(Guess Ill just keep clicking the “report this post” button)

I think that the most important issue for the forms that needs some attention shown too is over at the General Discussion Form. Most of the threads started there is the random stuff, which usually has nothing to do with CG!
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gif

Autarkis
04-18-2005, 08:21 PM
I definitely agree with the above statement Floyd.

durbdk
04-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Amen brother. I think the 3 strikes rule sound great, but may be hard to enforce. What about having the long standing members have vote rights? When an individual starts to become too much of a problem, three or more of the "electorit" members could vote for the offending party to be chastized. The offending party would recieve an automated response explaining that his account has been temporarily locked while his activities are reviewed by the CGTalk Authorities, ie. Leonard and Crew. Something along these lines would be good, I think, and by giving the right to vote to our senior members (say 1500 posts or more), we will have our own little police force which would improve behavior in the forums. Three things would need to happen to do this:

1. Everyone would be informed that this was in place before the start, and maybe have a sticky on the front page; a reminder.

2. The electorit would be trusted to use their authority wisely and justly. Any abuse would have to be delt with harshly to prevent anyting like it happening again.

3. Leonard and Crew would be the last word. It is on their decision ONLY, if a member is cast out or an electorit member chastized. In this way, they still maintain control, assuring that their members aren't being bullied by a digital police state.

I just came up with this, let me know what you think. I want our forum to remain open and positive, but in any society that gets large you need a police force; it's the natural way of things.

And notice, I would not be a memeber of the electorit. Not for about a year yet. :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2005, 09:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.