PDA

View Full Version : The copyright slug

djtrousdale
04-08-2005, 02:49 PM
The is a character from my sketchbook, the copyright slug.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/Hexaditidom/CG%20stuff/cslug.png

I'm trying to model him in blender and I have a question.

First I'm confused about UV mapping. All I want is to get the (c) logo in front of him without having to map the entire slug. The way I did it in wings was to import the image as a plane, and connect the two when they were both material mode.

Any idea?

djtrousdale
04-09-2005, 03:06 PM
I figured out how to get the logo on, but I'm having trouble making him look less like a marble sculpture and more like a slug. What kind of texture would be good here?

djtrousdale
04-10-2005, 02:20 AM
Here's what I mean... I'm satisfied with it because it was meant to look cartoony, but still...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/Hexaditidom/CG%20stuff/Copyrightslug.png

Tell me what you think and how I could improve :)

UhChris
08-23-2005, 06:27 AM
i like the concept, however i have no idea how to do 3d stuff, i would assume some sort of texture or effect to make it look more slimyish rather then marbleish, though i dont know if your going for the slimy-effect...well since i dont know 3d whatcha-ma-call-it, all i can say is make the intena thingys that hold up the eyes seem more loose and fluid-like rather then stiff, they look like unbendable sticks holding up to eyes, maybe its like that because the slug is mad though lol idk, i think it should be more curvy though, maybe have one higher then the other, some variation, thats all i can suggest, though i dont know much lol, keep it up

Jaffajuice
08-23-2005, 11:10 AM
are you using some kind of multi-sub object texture map?
If so, there is a quick way.
Select the faces that you want your logo on. Doesn't have to be all of them. Change their Material ID to another number ( this is for 3dsMax, but should be similar ) Apply a uvw map, planar, and adjust it to cover the desired polys. In your material Editor, add the new material ID to the existing material, and apply the logo. The logo will appear in the uvwmapped faces, but may not line up correctly. Now add an unwrap UVW modifier. Narrow the view to see only the new material ID. From here you should be able to adjust the uvw's.

For better results you should UVW map everything, as this will give you much more freeddom with texturing.

Hope this helps

Jaffajuice
08-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Crit:
whats the poly count? I'm guessing very high, and did you meshsmooth? Currently it's fine if you only requre a still, but you will find it very difficult to animate and alter textures. and if you attempt any funky lighting rendering times will shoot through the roof. See if you can create the same shape but will one solid low poly model, as it's easier to add polys than take them away.

It is cartoony, but even cartoon slugs need ooze, slimy skin and a trail. Perhaps even a shotgun? You can never go wrong with a shotgun.

mike0006
08-30-2005, 12:56 AM
Lol I agree! Add some simple arms holdin a bitchin shotgun. It would go great with his expression. Plus, there's just something I like about images that have you looking down the barrel of a shottie.

UhChris
09-01-2005, 05:01 AM
oo yeah shotgun!

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2005, 05:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.