PDA

View Full Version : merge linked keeping mask

Antonio79
04-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Hello! I have two layer, I would like to add the first to the second one, exactly the same way I do when you select both layer and then make "merge linked", my problem in this case is that one of the 2 layers has a mask, and I want to keep the mask, but when I make "merge linked" the mask disappear and the second layer is no longer masked. I'm doing this just to fix a mistake I did, I painted black on the image and not on the mask :) thank you, Antonio

Skjoldbroder
04-07-2005, 07:22 PM
without looking at it specifically, i'd do this :

if you ctrl+click the mask , that should give you all the pixels in the layer, which you can then use the fill tool to stick on a new layer. You can then either use that new layer as a mask (by grouping layers above it, their contents will only show up in the new 'mask layer') or ctrl+select it again to create a new (real) layer mask

halo
04-07-2005, 07:23 PM
yeh i know the problem you have and i seem to remember there isnt a way around it (although i do everything in PS on automatic so it may be i have found a way and just forgotten it)

try copy and pasting the layer mask to an alpha channel first, then merge, then load up the selection from the alpha and reapply it as a mask :)

Antonio79
04-07-2005, 08:58 PM
yeah I saved the selection and made another mask, I was afraid that doing like this I would have lost the transparent areas of the selection but it worked, thanks guys!

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2005, 08:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.