PDA

View Full Version : M1 wip

CADster
02-14-2002, 02:27 AM
might count, might not. The tank is a very old model i did years ago but decided to rebuild it as a game model. I Spent a couple of evenings cleaning up the old model and dumping unseen faces and now I am doing the maps.

She clocks in at 6k triangles (yea, i maxed her out :) )and will use 5 256x256 maps. (4 texture maps and one animated map for treads, wheels, etc.)

look, see and comment.

http://www.cadster.com/PICS/m1-wip0.jpg

http://www.cadster.com/PICS/m1-wip4.jpg

http://www.cadster.com/PICS/m1-wip10.jpg

CADster

*edited* ... i had the wrong number for polycount

Fritz3D
02-14-2002, 03:31 AM
...you didn't post that at home ;)

Detail is really high, was it for a tank sim?

The Magic Pen
02-14-2002, 03:49 AM
Looks great!

Kim Oravecz
02-14-2002, 07:38 AM
I love the detailing in the texture map - looks really good!

Funny cuz I'm working on an M1A1 tank myself right now. But it's quite low res at 788 polygons. I'm hoping to post the finished textured work in a couple of days. It's almost done - just have to finish up the top portion.

But yours definitely looks like an M1 tank! Good job!

CADster
02-14-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Fritz3D
...you didn't post that at home ;)

Detail is really high, was it for a tank sim?

ok, ill post the piccys there ;)

yes and no .. this actual tank model will not be for the project . this will be the hi poly, high mapped test bed we will use to see frame rates and texture memory use (if the 256 maps eat too much memory, she will go down to 5 128 maps, or the 4 maps will be combined into one larger map and have a single stragler... i guess, this is programmings call. I just say it will look like crap with that small map and thats not enough polygons for me to work with, so give me more, more, more !!! :D ).

In this mornings meeting i just found out the turret is going to be detachable (maybe explode off when hit). It sounds cool, but now i got to go back and add a bunch of faces that would never been seen with the turret always on (and this bumps my polys back up over the limit, so i will have to trim crap from somewhere else)

I love my job, but it dont love me :(

CADster

CADster
02-16-2002, 02:01 AM
its done, not to see how it does in the engine.

http://www.cadster.com/PICS/m1-wip16.jpg

CADster

Fritz3D
02-16-2002, 02:50 AM
wow, CADster's avatar is the best :D

It looks incredibly well for a sim...just makes me think what future games will look like...*sigh*

Kim Oravecz
02-16-2002, 04:19 AM
Looks really good!

It looks like it is all "hand" painted. Did you use any photographs or did you create it all by hand? Photoshop? How many hours would you say you spent on the texture mapping?

Oh - and that is a really cool avatar! :D

Blue
02-16-2002, 05:05 AM
Once again, it does look good. You going to port it to TDR also, oh ya you probably already have just for fun.

CADster
02-17-2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Kim Oravecz
Looks really good!

It looks like it is all "hand" painted. Did you use any photographs or did you create it all by hand? Photoshop? How many hours would you say you spent on the texture mapping?

Oh - and that is a really cool avatar! :D

thanks all, the aviatar is from Blue. He made it and i thank him for giving it to me (thanks bra' ;) ).

The skins are made from stratch, but with it being a tank its not as difficult as character skinning(its mostly just a bunch of lines and filled boxes with several effects like blur, motion blur, wind, bevel, etc. applied). the dirt is nothing more than a couple of cloud layers used as overlay and multiply layers.

App. Photoshop6. Time.. thats hard to say, this was worked on off and on over the last week or so (model and skins). On average, I can do a single skin in a couple of hours. This uses 5 (but the tread map was super simple), so ill say i have between 7 and 9 hours skinning it. At work i dont always have the time to skin from scratch, so photos come into play when time is an issue. I perfer skinning and not using photos, but i have to agree that when given good photos and the time to do it right, photos rule. A few pics of real tanks is what i based my skin from and even if its not exact, it will work for whats needed.

A version of this tank might go into TDR. But it will happen at a later time (seeing how I dont know how to get treads to move in that game at this moment).

Thanks again for the compliments (and the avitar).

CADster

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.