PDA

View Full Version : Police Raid Club Over Nude 'Art Night'

RobertoOrtiz
04-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Quote:
"An Idaho strip club that attempted to get around a ban on full nudity by giving patrons sketch pads for special "art nights" was cited for violating the city's nudity rules, officials said on Tuesday"

>>Link<< (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=757&e=1&u=/nm/20050406/od_nm/odd_nudity_dc&sid=84439559)

-R

Trojan123
04-06-2005, 10:36 PM
reminds me of a song: "I fought the law and the law won."

reminds me of a phrase: "You can't fight City Hall".

In all seriousness, if there is a city ban on full nudity, then either comply with the law or relocate to an area with less stringent zoning laws.

SB

ashakarc
04-06-2005, 10:45 PM
I wonder if smoking is allowed indoor by that city !!

I guess the police just needed an excuse to get in.

Ordibble-Plop
04-06-2005, 10:47 PM
I hope those patrons were good at gesture drawings - I don't imagine the 'models' were holding a pose for too long.

In a similar vein though, how often do you get voyeurs/perverts turning up at life-drawing classes (never been myself)?

jbo
04-06-2005, 10:52 PM
In a similar vein though, how often do you get voyeurs/perverts turning up at life-drawing classes (never been myself)?
not that often, cause it's usually cheaper to go to a strip club.

CodeNothing
04-06-2005, 11:15 PM
hmmm, kind of a touchy situation. Id say that if this were realy a ligitimate "art" event, even at a strip club, Id be realy upset. Actualy it sounds like a cool idea, as the women that pose in most figure drawing classes arnt.. er... good comic book babe references? But if your models are strippers chances are you are you will get good practice on "babe" drawing.

but chances are the owner was just looking for a loop hole in the system.

and no, not a lot of perverts in figure drawing classes. Honestly they would get realy bored. After staring at a nude woman for about an hour strait you get over it. LOL

KayosIII
04-06-2005, 11:54 PM
I wonder if the police recovered anything interesting from the sketchbooks :D

EvilGnome
04-07-2005, 01:01 AM
I've seen it so many times now that many cultures have laws against adults seeing the naked human form but have no problem showing and even promoting violence and killing on the TV.(whether real or simulated)

I'm not saying a strip club is an ideal or respectful forum for seeing the the human body either, but pointing out an interesting and somewhat sad disparity in how we see ourselves.

lulaassassina
04-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Humans are, indeed, very amusing. :D

ringzero
04-07-2005, 01:23 AM
I wonder if the police recovered anything interesting from the sketchbooks :D

They couldnt tell, the pages were stuck together.

Trojan123
04-07-2005, 02:19 AM
I've seen it so many times now that many cultures have laws against adults seeing the naked human form but have no problem showing and even promoting violence and killing on the TV.(whether real or simulated)

I'm not saying a strip club is an ideal or respectful forum for seeing the the human body either, but pointing out an interesting and somewhat sad disparity in how we see ourselves.

There is a vast difference between simulated violence and real violence.

Killing on TV isn't that bad- at least on the networks. No nudity, no brutal violence.
On cable, you can show a bit more skin, and a bit more brutal violence.
In theaters, you can receive an "R" rating just as much for violence as nudity.

In short, I think your statement is incorrect: the violence that is allowed is no more objectionable than the amount of nudity. There is no disparity.

SB

SpeccySteve
04-07-2005, 03:06 AM

I pretty much agree, I find naked people pretty inoffensive compared to random acts of violence and I for one would like to see our tv censorship / moderation leaning more towards that school of thought but I fully accept this might be a culture / regional thang.

Each to their own and that, I personally feel less offended by boobies than a graphic re-enactment of a brutal murder. ( ch5, I'm looking at you..)

Back on topic, I'd love to see those sketchbooks.:D

EvilGnome
04-07-2005, 05:04 AM
There is a vast difference between simulated violence and real violence.

Killing on TV isn't that bad- at least on the networks. No nudity, no brutal violence.
On cable, you can show a bit more skin, and a bit more brutal violence.
In theaters, you can receive an "R" rating just as much for violence as nudity.

In short, I think your statement is incorrect: the violence that is allowed is no more objectionable than the amount of nudity. There is no disparity.

SB

I guess my question should be more along the lines of "Why is nudity considered as offensive as violence?" in the context of what you wrote.
I'd rather my 2 year old saw a pair of boobs on TV than someone getting shot in the chest. I know which disturbs her and which doesn't even rate a mention.

Anyway, I think we've strayed OT here a bit! My apologies.

Tonik
04-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Good points Evilgnome and I agree with both your posts.

I think this stripclub owner was just trying out a loophole although it is a pretty good idea. At Art School we had a lot of models who weren't really physically fit. I wonder how they'd feel if I turned up at Spearmint Rhinos with a sketchpad ?

Per-Anders
04-07-2005, 04:07 PM
there is a part at the beginning of notes from a small island, where bill bryson discusses some of the little quirks of britishness. things like considering tea and cake a terribly wicked indulgence, which form the american standpoint seems rather crazy, you want tea and cake you just have it you don't expend any thoughts of guilt over the matter, it's just tea and cake for chrisakes... however he goes on to explain that after a while of living in the UK he really began to appreciate this for himself, and enjoy that part rather more, in fact as a result of changing his attitude about such a simple thing he came to enjoy it so very much more rather than treating it in a blaze manner.

i rather feel the same about nudity/sex etc. a certain ammount of prudity goes a long way to making it more special. i don't particularly want to be a person for whom it's meaningless (even in lifedrawing it's important for it to have some weight of value and meaning, to be a special situation)... but society as a whole these days certainly seems to want it to be that way, when everyone is bohemian - no-one is.

jebas
04-07-2005, 04:14 PM
I think this stripclub owner was just trying out a loophole although it is a pretty good idea. At Art School we had a lot of models who weren't really physically fit. I wonder how they'd feel if I turned up at Spearmint Rhinos with a sketchpad ?
Surprisingly, I can answer that question. Several years back, a friend of mine was having a traditional bachelor party at a downtown strip club. I thought to myself, why waste the opportunity, so I brought my sketch pad. When I got to the door, I asked the bouncer if it was it was okay. He told me if anyone complains, I had to put it away. I really did not have a problem with that, so I followed my friends inside.

Naturally they were making a lot of noise and started drinking. Since I don't drink (thus making me everyone's ride home), I found myself looking for something else to when one of the drinking games got started. I asked for one of the dancers to come over, paid for a table dance, and asked her to sit still. When the time was up, she asked for the picture, and I gave it to her. That was the last thing I paid for that evening.

Now before you start thinking that I am some wonderful artist, I must let you know that my speed sketching skills suck. One of the reasons I have never been able to do artwork at a professional level is because I am to freaking slow. Additionally, that was some of the worst conditions to draw in. The place was to dark, and lights were flashing from every direction. I was feeling lucky if I got something that looked like the person sitting in front of me.

I must have produced something she liked because she showed her coworkers, and we began having dancers ask if the artist was at this table. I was getting more attention than my friend that was getting married. My friends didn't seem to mind, it just became part of the party. I think they liked the fact that girls were fighting to get to our table, and I admit that my ego swelled a little that night as well.

The next day, my arm cramped so bad that I could not pick up a pencil. It had been, and still is, the most work that I have ever put out at one time. I can't say that any of it was any good because the conditions were terrible. However, if you are depressed about your artwork and want an appreciative audience, a strip bar might be the place to go.

Hey, weird things happen to me.

Milho
04-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Good one, a friends is getting married soon, if it'll be a strip club we go to I'll try it ;)

jmBoekestein
04-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Humans are, indeed, very amusing. :D

Amen...it's like putting spiders in the girls locker room...Blast...nobody heard that! You hear me! I'll drag you all to court...YOU HEAR...

Milho
04-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Amen...it's like putting spiders in the girls locker room...Blast...nobody heard that! You hear me! I'll drag you all to court...YOU HEAR...

I am eyewitness.....I mean I was watching if nobody puts spiders in there.... It was for their own protection, really! ^_^

This reminds me of city hunter by Hojo Tsukasa, first manga, where he claims he goes to this "club" only to get information about the underworld.... haha we go there just to study anatomy, REAAAALLLY :P

EvilGnome
04-08-2005, 05:29 AM

Larger people can be great to draw! Theres something nice about making large round gestures on a big piece of paper/canvas that's great fun.

Experiencing and portraying the wide variety of human forms is an artistic challenge, and a good reminder that humanity comprises of more than the limited images of beauty we're bombarded with in the media and movies.

Tonik
04-08-2005, 10:34 AM
You're right EvilGnome it was a learning and creative experience but as you said there's a huge variety of people out there and the models we had were all the same type. Drawing the type you'd find in a stripclub would add to the variety of different shapes I'd sketched. (Do I sound convincing yet?)

slaughters
04-08-2005, 12:17 PM
...(Do I sound convincing yet?)Sounds good enough to run by your Art teacher. Field Trip ! :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2005, 12:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.