PDA

View Full Version : photoshop academic versions

04-06-2005, 09:09 PM
What is the difference between the regular retail version, and the academic version of the adobe photoshop?
I know you are required to be a student or faculty member ,but are there any limitations of the product itself?

itsallgoode9
04-07-2005, 08:36 AM
There should be no limitations in the program itself; it should be exactlly identical as regular. You just aren't aloud to use it for profit. That's the way it works with Maya anyways, so i'm guessing that's the same with PS...but I would check because Adobe might have different polcies.

-NG-
04-07-2005, 12:36 PM
It's basicly the same, although with the retail version you can use it commercialy and make money with it, with the student versin you won't.

Devenish
04-08-2005, 04:47 AM
Ok here is the good news

http://www.adobe.com/support/salesdocs/1002268.html

Difference between educational and retail products

Adobe educational software is identical to the retail versions, although there may be differences in packaging or marketing. For instance, a retail product may include promotional software (such as free fonts or clip art) that is not included with the educational version of the product. Additionally, because educational products are already discounted, they may not qualify for special pricing offered to non-educational customers.

Upgrades

You may purchase upgrades for educational versions of Adobe software, but the upgrades are not available at educational discounts. Educational products may, however, qualify for post-announce upgrade pricing.
There are no restrictions on the use of educational product versions for commercial purposes, and educational customers may continue to purchase regular upgrades upon completion of their studies. However, customers must first qualify to purchase edcational versions of Adobe products.

j4r
04-09-2005, 02:13 AM
I've heard several versions of what is the case and what isn't with the educational/ commercial products, yet have been to lazy to look into it... It's good to have it cleared up, though. Thanks for the post.

itsallgoode9
04-09-2005, 09:04 AM
That's crazy that you can continue to get teh educational price even after your done with your studies.

Devenish
04-10-2005, 12:19 AM
That's crazy that you can continue to get teh educational price even after your done with your studies.

First you must qualify.

It really is not that crazy, I feel Adobe understands the benefits of a long term relationship and does not want to lose the customer base, because in the end you will continue to purchase the commercial upgrades from them.

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2005, 12:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.