PDA

View Full Version : vegas - tga import fails?

thomaspecht
04-06-2005, 07:36 PM
i'm currently trying out vegas and rather quickly stumbled over the first hurdle that i do not find explained on the web nor in the online docs. vegas refuses to import some (well, most) of my tga-files. i do realize that the eval version does not let me import sequences but it even refuses to open many stills for no apparent reason.

most of the footage came out straight from the renderer, compositor or photoshop - either in 24 or 32 bit. some are accepted by vegas, most labeled as an unkown file format. what's going wrong here?

thomaspecht
04-22-2005, 11:04 PM
didn't solve this problem as of yet. now, it seems that vegas cannot even export image sequences, not in tga, nor in tiff, sgi or whatever common format.

i'm seriously wondering why the tool seems so popular yet cannot even play well with compositors nor renderers because of this limitation. seems like it's totally geared towards those who prefer to edit lossy file-formats only. what a shame, looks like a nice and stable application otherwise.

marchermann
04-25-2005, 05:32 PM
General advice:
To import an image sequence, you need to choose "Import Media…" from the menu (or click the icon). In the following dialogue select the first file of the secuence and check the "open as sequence box" at the bottom.

Regarding TGA:
I think it just doesn't work.

Regarding TIFF:
I only got this to work by using uncompressed (not even LZW) TIFFs.

Hope this helps.

Marc

thomaspecht
04-29-2005, 11:40 AM
hi marc, seems like tga's do work, at least on occasion. i could not reliably track it down to compression issues, but some apps seem to write an imcompatible flavour of tga of some sort. that'sactually the first time i encountered this kind of behaviour.

since vegas is unable to put out any form of still image sequences, i decided i'd stick with premiere for the time being since this functionality is a requirement for my work.

marchermann
04-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Oops, just realized that you wrote "export" but I read "import".

I never really missed the lack of this function. In my workflow Vegas is where evereything is brought together for final export, e.g. on DVD of for the web.

Marc

Rainer K
05-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Vegas CAN render image sequences! Don't give up on it yet, it really is a wonderful piece of software, i simply cannot use Premiere again. (except of course when AE is required)

You can use the Render Image Sequence script that comes with Vegas.

Select the menu item Tools > Scripting > Render Image Sequence

There are many many scripts out there that can really enhance and do special things in Vegas. For Vegas users, I recommend checking them out.

With a studio PC that just can't run combustion, i render out 3Ds-max frame TGA sequences upstairs, and preview for special projects in the studio using vegas and external preview on a very large high quality EIKI projector.

I can't say i've ever had a problem with Vegas having problems with TGA files i've rendered. I've been using vegas since version 4. I think definitely you should check the output settings on your rendering software.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2005, 02:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.