PDA

View Full Version : 2D Rain - Sorry if this has been asked before!

billyg
04-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey all,

new to the group here and would love some feedback- I'm a compositor and got a job adding rain to a 2k film plate. I'm doing it at home using After Effects 6.5 on my Mac and don't have an adequate plug-in so I'm looking to buy one -SO :

1. which one holds up on film, 2. which one looks real enough with motion blur controls etc., 3. which one is cheap enough so I still make enough money on the job, and 4. is there one that is in the previous three categories that also may come with good plug-ins (as a bonus for me)?

Am I asking for a lot? I'm ready to use something (quick learner) and have a fast turn around (3 weeks) so any and every bit of help is appreciated!!

Thanks much,
bill

Khalor
04-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Try this:
http://innervisionstudios.net/tutorials/aftereffects/rain01/rain01.html

If you're compositing several layers together, you can place the rain layers between several other layers, to create depth.

Hope that helps,
Khalor

buttachunk
04-06-2005, 08:48 PM
if you're using after effects 6.5, use the CC rain plugin--- already in AE.
just make sure to blur it quite a bit vertically and a bit horizontally.

i like to use multiple layers of the rain at slightly rotated angles with varying opacity and blur.

billyg
04-06-2005, 09:21 PM
I bought the AE pro edition 6.5 and I don't have the CC Rain - can you elaborate? Should I have it? Sounds like it's a third party plug in, right?

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to check out the tutorial -

bill

but if there are any third party plug-ins that anyone really loves that are film production quality, please let me know. Thanks!

buttachunk
04-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Bill,

it's part of the Cycore FX 1.0 bundle of plugins,, should be bundled with the AE installer. here is the website and info;

http://www.cycorefx.com/cfxhdinfo.php

billyg
04-07-2005, 06:50 PM
thanks a lot - checking it out now! sounds like it should have it!!

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2005, 06:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.