PDA

View Full Version : Painting how?

markovicd
04-06-2005, 09:55 AM
ok , i know to draw lines and that is ok ... i make lines but when it comes to painting... i destroy my work :( , mainly i want to paint cars and some mechanical ( metal stuff ) so is there any advice about this or tuts ? i wan`t to paint in photoshop like with markers... to immprove my skills... any help is good

jbo
04-06-2005, 07:46 PM
i would maybe start painting simpler materials until you really feel comfortable, then try harder stuff like reflective metal. also, look at references. not just photos of metal, but also paintings, so you can see how other artists solve problems and simplify things.

Lunatique
04-07-2005, 03:33 AM
First, you have to break the habit of seeing everything in lines. There are no lines in reality, only values. A sharp contrast between two values is what makes a line. Think only in terms of values and colors and edges. You really should look into the Andrew Loomis books available online. Just google and you'll find them. Creative Illustration is especially good for what you're asking.

CGmonkey
04-07-2005, 04:43 AM
First, you have to break the habit of seeing everything in lines. There are no lines in reality, only values. A sharp contrast between two values is what makes a line. Think only in terms of values and colors and edges. You really should look into the Andrew Loomis books available online. Just google and you'll find them. Creative Illustration is especially good for what you're asking.

Haha.. "There is no spoon".

The secret formula as always is; practice.

ashakarc
04-07-2005, 07:09 AM
First, you have to break the habit of seeing everything in lines. There are no lines in reality, only values. A sharp contrast between two values is what makes a line. Think only in terms of values and colors and edges.

I would accept that only from a painters point of view since it is true when it comes to depicting reality onto canvas, however it is not when it comes to thinking. Our minds simplifies what we see into "lines". Even though we see things through the reflections of light,
shapes take precedent over shades. I am not sure why this is the case, but my guess will be our minds tendency to focus on a singular condition at a time, and the the "line" fit that definition.

best,
ashakarc

ashakarc
04-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Ok, with all respect to other methods, here is mine:

To make the transition from line art into shades and colors, besides the extensive practice, you need to learn visualizing what need to be done before putting any ink (liquid or digital). Second, you need to draw in lines with varying intensities the highlights, shadows, and mid tone zones across the composition. Third, fill in the blanks with solid colors or shades of monochromes.
The above 3 steps are very important before taking the plunge into your painting and work on all the details. As you build experience, you will need to practice speedy paintings, because then you will be using your memory and will be able to come up with your own compositions with minimum reference material.

Best of Luck,
ashakarc

markovicd
04-08-2005, 07:54 PM
thnx , for this feedback ;) i hope it helps ... btw do u have some tuts that u would reccomend to me for ps ?

slaughters
04-08-2005, 09:27 PM
....There are no lines in reality, only values...As my high school art teacher said, "There are no lines in real life, just shadows. To shape a head or nose simply draw in the shadows which define them."

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2005, 09:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.