PDA

View Full Version : How fast rendering engine of Messiah?

04-06-2005, 01:22 AM
I looking at Messiah and F-Prime. As the Lightwave user, I want something to replace LW render engine because LW is slow espacilly the big seen. My main thing is architectural renderings, but personally curious to go on animation as hobby.
After replace LW modeller with Modo, I feel great about it. I am looking at Messiah for rendering and animatin but not sure that Messiah will be suite to what I wnat, architectural renderings(still image). Ofcause, animation in Messiah would be so much better, after getting struck in LW for years.

I comparing Messiah and F-Prime to see what will be good for me and need you guys ideas. Messiah Workstation is $100 cheaper, and comes with animation. While F-Prime is fast in rendering but more expensive and have only rendering engine pluging in to LW. With the budget arond $400, I can pick only one.

Thanks

JoeCosman
04-06-2005, 06:28 PM
as someone once said to me, if you'r main output is still frame, it doesn't matter how fast the renderer is, only the quality of it. the big draw to messiah would be program independent transfer. if you get Fprime, you're tied to lightwave, which for new users doesn't make it a 500.00 purchase, but an 1800.00 purchase. anyhoo...

Messiah is billed as an animation tool. but that's only one part of workstation.

Render is quite speedy for what you want to use it for. M:Render's Global illumination is among the fastest out there. the renderer is very integrated in that it can use many rigging tools for texturing. for example, using metaEffectors, bones, or flex curves to blend and warp materials, cross blend materials with weight values, or even displace polygons with the weight values.
an example would be using metaEffectors to blend between brickwork and flaking stucco.

some issues people have brought up(and this might be old news) are ram requirements for hugemongous renders, creasing at 5 point junctions on subdivisional surfaces, and lack of a fur/hair option.

messiah is very capable of high quality renders. Architectural renderings are scarce in messiah not because it can't do it, but because its main users are character animators :-)

hope this helps your decision out.

Wegg
04-07-2005, 01:15 AM
creasing at 5 point junctions on subdivisional surfaces,

Didn't someone say they addressed that in the latest patch?

04-07-2005, 02:34 AM
Thanks Joe,

It'sreally a good help.
Both Messiah and F-prime might seem off to compare, but in my situation they are tough to make decision.
Architecuural rendering is my main thing to do rendering, but not main payroll. It's only side line job.
Animation is nothing more than a dream to fullfill imagination of a kid who had watched Mazinger Z and open his mind to the world off arts and endless imagination.
I'm thinking and may wait until after NAB.

Thanks again.

AAAron
04-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Didn't someone say they addressed that in the latest patch?

Yep, they fixed it. It looks great, but I think it consumes more memory than a fourliner.

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2005, 12:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.