PDA

View Full Version : Character/Game/Animation/ Modellers + 2D art knowledge

HellBoy
04-05-2005, 03:22 PM
You know, I've always wanted to ask this,

Does a Modeller have to have a 2D art knowledge? because a while ago, I heard from a VTM at 3DBuzz that the 2D artist will provide the sketch aka reference to the modeller the he/she will start modelling:hmm: :curious: , say the Modellers portfolio, will they need to show a 2D sketches or the 3D stuff...

cheers

StephanD
04-05-2005, 03:30 PM
It depends on what you're applying for,if it's character designer you need to be able to quickly communicate ideas and create,modify your designs to the director's will and drawing is the fastest option.

You could go for a modeler position which doesn't necessarily require you to draw or show any sketching skill.

Note that the artist with drawing skills could be favoured in both situations.

walrus
04-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Absolutely need? No. Should have? It's entirely subjective, but yes.
Many art directors look for well-rounded artists who understand the gamut of tasks, even if they are to be hired primarily for one. When I've looked through portfolios, I've always wanted to see a range of stuff, from life drawing to modeling. The more art skills a prospective hire can demonstrate, the better they will be at their job and the more versatile they'll bat, too. I dislike that art schools are churning out people who only know how to work on the computer (whether it be modeling, painting, or animation) without knowing any of the basics of doing that task in any other media.

But like I said, that's an entirely subjective opinion, your mileage may vary! :-)

-mike

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2005, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.