PDA

View Full Version : [XSI] mirroring several objects while modeling

Stimpy
09-29-2002, 09:53 AM
hello

this is something which has puzzled me before, but i was always able to somehow work around it. now im interested if there is a better way.

say im modeling a symetrical model that consists of several parts.. in soft|3d you could stick them under a null, make an instance of that and scale it in -X or whatever.. and everything you would stick under that null would automatically get instanced and mirrored... move the original model, the instanced mirrored one moves accordingly..

is there a behaviour like that in XSI ???

i tried to stick my models under a null or a model, make an instance of that, etc.... but when i move my original model the instanced one just stay put where it is...

anyone ??

ggg
09-30-2002, 03:41 PM
there must be an easy straight forward way/button I haven't found...

the only two ways I know how to do what you want, but it is not automatic,

-is to add symmetry constraints to each instance back to its repsective original
or use this script to automate for all:
InstanceApplySymAll (http://www.grahamdclark.com/Studentresources/links/generallinks/InstanceApplySymAll.vbs)
or go here:
http://www.grahamdclark.com/Studentresources/links/generallinks/downloads.htm

-or get and apply a lattice to the instanced object, cut the lattice so its not a child of the instance, set lattice x pos to 0(or whatever axis you're mirroing through), set lattice x scale to -1, make the instance a child of the original :)
or use this script to automate for all:
symmetryObjects (http://www.grahamdclark.com/Studentresources/links/generallinks/symmetryobjects.vbs)

Although other operators propegate to children added, the copy op does not as it is not attached to the copied object, instead the copy op is associated with its instanced or duplicated objects and has no available properties anyway :(

another 'not as procedural as we would hope in XSI issue' :P

Stimpy
09-30-2002, 04:16 PM
thanks a lot graham...

i thought i was just missing some funny button.. autocompensate whatnot or whatever.. ;)

ggg
09-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Oh yeah I never added this to the scripts to automate yet but to add other objects to your symmetyr setup as you wanted using the first script just run it again on selected objects, and using the second script instance the object and then to the instance apply deform by lattice using the "mirrorlattice" made by the script.
I may add to script the ability to add soon.

HapZungLam
09-30-2002, 07:37 PM
what i do mostly is to select the object. hit Ctrl-I for an intance. scale that intance as -1 in X. then just make it unseletable. and continue modeling. every changes taht you made from your original. will update at the intance

Stimpy
09-30-2002, 07:50 PM
yes.. thats what i do as well... but still its a pain in the butt....

because for that to work your models all have to have their center at X = 0 for example, so you need to freeze it before you do that, or manually translate it afterwards.

and its dumb for models which consists of several parts, where you need to do this for every single part of the model, how small it might be.

ggg
09-30-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by HapZungLam
what i do mostly is to select the object. hit Ctrl-I for an intance. scale that intance as -1 in X. then just make it unseletable. and continue modeling. every changes taht you made from your original. will update at the intance

I believe this won't work for your quesion though as it just works for mirror/symmetry modeling the elements not the objects/"parts" transforms which will not update at the instance.

ggg
10-01-2002, 12:49 AM
Stimpy, if interested to use them I was working on some slightly related scripts so I added xsidial to these ones to pick your plane:
http://www.grahamdclark.com/Studentresources/links/generallinks/downloads.htm
The old scripts are replaced with these two.

toma
10-01-2002, 04:18 PM
Well I think you have a base tool in XSI 2 allowing you to do that in a much simple way.

I just saw like 2 days ago a video from the official Experience CD talking of it. If you want it just ask, I'll have found what video it is in some hours as I get back home.

ggg
10-01-2002, 06:52 PM
Of course I'd like to know.
Scripts are slower.
If you get a chance, please pass the info on.

toma
10-01-2002, 10:19 PM
Here is the video as promised. I hope I understood well what you asked. Anyway, here's the link and tell me if it helps ;)

Video (5.1 Mb) (http://tartopoms.free.fr/video_create01_10.wmv)

See you soon.

toma.

ggg
10-02-2002, 12:42 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post the video! I was excited hoping that there might be an answer but unfortuanatley this is what I was refering to, instances and symmetry mode only mirror update elements not objects.

If the copy op was associated with the originals instead or symmetry map could be oddly applied to hierarchies (which wouldn't work as its cluster based) or instances had an option to relate to originals transforms then objects mirror modeling would work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.