PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on Facial controls

Kahwatikid
04-05-2005, 04:31 AM
Hi folks....

This one is for the hardcore td in ya...well definitely more hardcore than I

I was trying to apply Eric Miller's stuck on Facial controls method from Alias' hyper real Facial rigging DVD (very cool DVD!:thumbsup: ...too bad its geared for Maya:shrug: ).

The concept is to basically create control objects that can deform your characters face...but as an extra layer of control ... they have to be able to move with your mesh as it is being deformed by all your shape keys....then when you want to push the pose further...just start moving the control objects which are weighted to the characters face and save some keys...very awesome concept! (I'm sure its an old hat to most riggers)

For the past couple hours I've been trying to apply this to my character in XSI...and needless to say...I havent got very far :banghead: <---I love this icon

I've tried a couple methods...

using clusters with centre command...then parenting a sphere with a couple extra nodes above it in the hierarchy (so I can move it after I've constrained it)...I thought that would work....nope :argh: Once the mesh was enveloped the envelope took precedence over the cluster centres(nulls)

Then I thougth of constraining a null to a single point cluster (almost the same as above)...then parenting/or constraining my control object to that...after which I applied my envelope and Shape keys...and low and behold ...It WORKED! :wip: Sorta..... When I used my morph targets....the null that was constrained moved with my deforming mesh...but when I moved my rig around....it ceased to work :banghead:

Anyone have any ideas? I just wanna animate this F'in character.....aaaargh...but I will say it is fun learning this program...the main reason why I switched was because most of it seems easier than maya.

Anyhelp or ideas are greatly appreciated...and sorry for all the emoticons...It was a long and boring post.

3dtutorial
04-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi Kahwatikid,

This might be of help to you:

http://www.3dtutorial.com/xsi.php?detail=35

Cheers,

Joe

Sil3
04-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Thinking quickly... why dont u simply Link the CTRL Box´s to the Shapes with Link With?

Whenever the Shapes sliders in the Mixer get´s from 0 to 1 that parameter is driving the Motion of the Control Box´s.

It will be a bit tedius to setup all of them, but i think this is what you are after :)

If not, take a look at 3dtutorial and learn from masters :)

nate363636
04-08-2005, 07:06 AM
we'll skimming the post-

this is what I am currently trying-hopefully it helps...

anywayz I did all my basic face shapes but also will add a series of nulls on the face where I want extra push. mouth corners, eyes and where ever. Not sure if thats what that what youre talking about but it might can your though process..

Parent the nulls to the head bone, then weight the face to the nulls--I am trying it out right now so not sure if it will work totally-but if anyone else has tried it let me know. Oh key frame the nulls too so you know where they should go, but do that after parenting them...

help?

nate363636
04-08-2005, 07:30 AM
OK-before I lead anyone down the wrong road here---if you are using a jaw bone this would only work for the top of the head---because I am using a jaw bone I can only weight the points to that. So the mouth nulls will not work, unless someone corrects me, ---
Or is that your problem too.

But I think if u use a open mouth shape then u should be able to weight the nulls or controllers for extra control....

Bluebird2602
04-08-2005, 07:36 PM
oh man, I just had this same problem like a week back. What I ended up doing in the end, if I remember, was creating cluster center's on my character's mouth. I then just constrained a group of them(with compensation on) to another null to control a bunch at one time. I tried it with these constrained to curves, but ran into a few problems. I believe it works best with cluster nulls constrained to curves if you have it set up right though. Check out some of Michael Isner's tutorials he has a better way of setting it up, that I have seen before.
http://www.isner.com/

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2005, 07:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.