PDA

View Full Version : Incremental Undo Functionality

lepton
04-05-2005, 01:56 AM
I am trying to promote a demo of improved undo functionality for graphics programs. Though I believe it would be very hard to integrate into existing programs, it would be less of a task to build it into a graphics program that was being started from scratch.

See demo here (http://www.carintech.com/tech/undo.htm)

Kragh
04-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Hehe, took me some time to figure out how to do anything in there....the red square wasnŽt red at all, almost the same color as the background. CouldnŽt see it, maybe a browser problem.

Anyways, when I first figured it out, it was very interesting. Actually, I need this a lot of times, especially when selecting something in photoshop. Or when clearing some paint, and the last movement clears too much. Then, if you hit undo, youŽll have to do the whole clearing stroke from scratch...

Sounds like a good idea...

good luck with it.

mummey
04-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Simple, yet very useful.

Typically you see undo's as part of the command structure of a program. In this case it appears you are storing the strokes so you can later backtrack along a stroke if necessary. This could get very memmory intensive after a while.

Overall though, Nice work! :thumbsup:

iC4
04-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Interesting and nice, but as mummey said I guess it can get memmory intensive.

ThE_JacO
04-05-2005, 06:44 PM
doesn't that also imply constantly keeping track of the stroke vectors until it's done rather then dumping them every N refreshes or every change of direction?

I'd rather see a good painting system with vector foundations in its brushes (like most compositing versed painters but more suited to still work), once you have that all you need is simply change the stroke's path percentage, undos or not.

still a nice idea nonthless.

Hugh
04-05-2005, 10:42 PM
One thing that I found with your system is that it got quite slow relatively quickly....

(well, as in when I'd coloured in about quarter of the area....)

It's a nice idea, though..... Although I think Shake needs any kind of undo at the moment, let alone an advanced one like this!

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2005, 10:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.