PDA

View Full Version : Analysing styles.

mireneye
04-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Allright here goes. I think this is approporiate place for such kind of discussion.
Ever really wondered what makes a certain image into a certain style? Or in what style a certain image fit? Then I suggest you post here so we all can discuss about it. Why it is that way, and why not it is like that. And analysing the image itself.

Somtimes ofcourse there wont be a definite answer however that will leave it open for an interesting discussion dont you think?

Allright, lets get rollin.

John Keates
04-05-2005, 12:23 AM
I am thinking that there are two related elements.

> What gets included/excluded.

Like is it B&W or is the artists trying to only use colour and no depth (impossible?)

> What gets exadurated/played down.

Like is it a characature or are the lines strengthened like a cartoon.

You could say that exclusion is just an extreem form of dumbing down.

The human brain has evolved this way and that so it is likely that there are set qualities that we have to play with. Eg only red/green/blue and thier combinations and lines play an important part whether explicit or implicit.

I guess the idea of style is that it is independent from subject matter but then that gets blured. Sometimes the subject matter might have a style. For example in the case of fancy costumes or muscley bodies.

Just thought I would dip that in...

argyre
04-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Style.

It is dictated by numerous factors and interpreted in a google of ways.

Here is my opinion (and im not trying to be right).

Style is where a person makes up there own rules, objectives, effects and conventions to convey/express to themselves and/or society. There rules are governed to what the "eye of the beholder" deems appropriate. Through constant bending, trashing, moving and so forth - the rules are defined and finally a style is born. But how that style will stay is up to society as a whole to carry on conventions set forth from one mind - the creator.

And no... im not on drugs. =P:thumbsup:

mireneye
04-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Resonable responses. I agree. Style is definitly a more or less unknow set or rules you have inside your own artistic mind. When I talk about style i mostly talk about the general artstyles like Expressionism, Surrealism and Realism and such artforms.

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2005, 11:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.