PDA

View Full Version : 3D images on the fly.

space
04-04-2005, 08:20 AM
I want to create a web application that would let a user enter values in a web form, and from those values, generate a 3d image .

For example, to create a cube, the user would enter values for the width, height and depth. Once submitted, these values are used to create a 3d object, and after that, the result is shown to the user in some kind of way ( render or jpeg image ).

I'm wondering what is the absolute best way to do such a thing. Java, Flash, php, asp.net ??

I've tried to find some examples on the web, but I found nothing really relevant.

Suggestions are more than welcome, thx.

Hugh
04-04-2005, 09:22 AM
I'd go for a stand-alone program on the server that takes whatever parameters and generates your image. I don't know the best way of doing this - can you do OpenGL code that writes to an image instead of the buffer?

And then a php program can take the parameters from a web form, run this program, and then display the results (well, the program would have to save the file out to an image of some kind, and then the php page would display that)

Galo
04-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Im with hugh,

and keep in mind PHP has one of the most advanced graphic libraries as well so you could share the data as well to the server application that renders it and pass thepixel data through to PHP, that way you have 100% controll of the image.

Check for the PHP gdLibrary which comes standard with the latest version of PHP
http://nl3.php.net/manual/en/function.gd-info.php

cheers,
Galo

rendermaniac
04-04-2005, 03:01 PM
It would probably quite easy to construct a POVray or RenderMan scene procedurally into POVray or a RenderMan compatible renderer and pick up the image it produces. I'm pretty sure someone has already done this for POVray.

Simon

space
04-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks for telling me about POVRay, i've downloaded it and started to take a look at the documentation.

I'm wondering ... how could it be possible to launch the renderer via a web application. I think something like php's passthru function could do the trick .. any ideas ??

thanks again

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2005, 06:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.