PDA

View Full Version : BIG project needs Artists

Joe Burnham
04-04-2005, 03:35 AM
My name is Sean.

OK, now that we have the formalities out of the way it's time to discuss what "BIG" means. This movie project I'm starting will require persistence, talent, quality and above all, the means to follow through with an epic undertaking to help realize an equally epic story. I will guarantee an original and engaging concept and will expect with it an original and engaging artistry and visuals.

Anyway...I know it's difficult to accept projects simply based on text...that's why I need the concept artists ;). I'm no artist. I'm also not quite sure how the collaboration works on this forum (I'm new) but I can adapt quickly.

The essential tone, mood and look of the film will exist in three themes: One; seemingly post-nuclear, decrepit, hopeless, economically crippled. Two; Lavish in nature (earth), hopeful, beautiful and rich in color, very clean and respectful. Three; Heavy industry, bustling economical influence, modern beauty, modern technology (modern = with regards to story's time).

Of course, the enviornments, buildings and inhabitants will all follow their respectful themes when considering their image (wardrobe, flora and fauna, topography, etc.).

I wish I had more to offer, but for now, I'd much rather keep the story under wraps. I can offer, as stated before, the tone, mood and look for specific situations.

I could use 2 or 3 concept artists, or perhaps 1 dedicated artist, to start things off in the right direction. I'm very laid-back when it comes to discussing ideas and negotiating certain details in the story's visuals. After all, this is fun.

Anyway, thank you very much to anyone who replies. Again, I apologize for the vague description. I hope you understand.

- Sean

Joe Burnham
04-04-2005, 10:59 AM
One other thing, keep in mind these characters will be scientists, soldiers, mech-soldiers (not over-the-top or cliche), and will engage in large and small conflicts with newly designed advanced weaponry and technology. And no, this is not an excuse to have battle after battle after battle mindlessness. But it definitely will have some awesome battles with the obligatory explosions. ;). So again, those interested in developing their own ideas and helping with this are more than welcome to lend their talents.

Thank you.

- Sean

Joe Burnham
04-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Quick edit...

As I've become more acclimated with these forums, it's come to my understanding that progress needs to be shown in order to stir or get a rise from the community, which is completely acceptable. However, from a writer only position, divulging the story isn't something I'm willing to risk until I have a workable product to exhibit. And even still, bits and pieces are all I'll be releasing. I enjoy surprises, and in my work, surprises are what keep the intrigue. The time it takes to get this ball rolling is dependent on those talented few who decide to throw a little caution into the wind and help me out :). Am I asking too much? Perhaps. But hey, it's damn fun!

Essentially, this is the concept made original by its context...

2 opposite super continents in an alternate past overshadowing a neutral continent; one of "integrity", one of "deceit", and one of "shadows". All of which formed respectfully to their personalities. "Integrity" remained exempt, protected and far removed from "deceit",until "deceit" grew wise and created influence from withinů

Vague enough? Just imagine the tone of Final Fantasy 7's visuals and you have a decent foundation, then add conspiracies, personal anarchy, wars, deception, death and destruction, drama, cunning, betrayal, psychosis, family strife and more personal anarchy...basically the works, and you can get a little better picture. Note, the concepts herein are merely building blocks to the context I will provide.

Anyway. If you're interested, send me an e-mail (Palisade1218@yahoo.com) or reply here. I'd rather use this space for updates and progress notices.

Thanks again...also, I love this community already. It's such a brilliant idea.

-Sean.

softdistortion
04-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Since you're new, you may not realize that requests/ideas like yours, come and go in a steady stream. If you aren't ready to put more effort into doing something fresh to kick start your project you are going to have a dismal time, especially with a preface like "BIG".
If you are only exposed to writting, you won't realize It takes more work than you can likely imagine to do anything...let alone anything "BIG".

I wish the MODS or CGTALK or SOMEONE would put some kind of a FAQ or SUGGESTION Sticky in here cause it's depressing to see so many people that might potentially have an idea come in...get few or no replies and slowly fade away...

Short of that do some more familiarizing...It is a great idea we have here, but it's taken alot of struggling to get where it is....It's survival of the fitest unfortunately. ;)

Joe Burnham
04-05-2005, 12:42 AM
That's fine. Thank you for your reply. Like I said, I understand what it takes to get noticed around here, but I really have nothing to show for it in terms of visual representation, which is why I'm here. Or else I'd be on that like white on rice. When creating a subject for a thread, it's difficult to summerize to just a few words. Albeit, "BIG" wasn't the best choice...Point of fact, it will be a "BIG" undertaking. If no one finds interest, I won't be discouraged. Short of releasing actual plot devices and story, I've already given the tone and mood. Obviously it'll be one part dark, dreary and industrial, and one part rich in color, beauty and magic. I'm merely looking for a few good concept artists who are willing to try something grand and new. And I'm willing to put in the effort. After which, I will begin a new thread with the project name and concept art within to attract more interest and collaboration toward it.

- Sean

Again, thank you guys.

softdistortion
04-05-2005, 01:26 AM
How badly do you want this to get started? If you want it more than going out to the movies a couple times or even buying a case of beer...then maybe go back to the jobs forum or contact a ref artist directly and offer some small$$ for an them to do some sketches or get a friend/family member to do it. Then at least you can show something.

I'm not saying you would do this, but part of the problem is that some come in with nothing and ask for help...then some of us do a skecth or a model for them...then they vanish....It's not worth it if you don't show you are willing to put something more than an idea in, then how can you expect others to give you their time, skill and energy.

AJE
04-05-2005, 01:55 AM
For me the biggest problem has always been time, and making sure I honour my commitment to paticipate.

And for me to feel comfortable enough, to believe a project has enough potential (read: commercially viable) to warrant my efforts and involvment, I need to know the story.

I'm not saying the story that you have isn't fantastic, it may be, but without knowing it, at least in an outline form, you may be asking too much for people to blindly sign on.

I would suggest posting an outline without major details (as I chose to), then when the script is airtight, release it only after it has been registered with the WGAw and only to those willing to sign an NDA.

Also, I don't know if you have a background in 3D or not, but if by chance you don't, you need to get up to speed on the process and a fair understanding of what it takes to do what you're asking for in order to manage a project competently.

And yes, pretty pictures definitely stir the imagination. If people see quality work coming out of the project, they see potential... and (hopefully) join the team.

At any rate, I wish you the best of luck.
AJE

Joe Burnham
04-05-2005, 04:50 AM
Everything you guys have contributed thus far is understandable. Like I said, I wish I had more to offer, and I do agree jumping into a project without a full understanding is a lot to ask for. But I don't have anyone I know personally who can help, and I've looked. I figured this would be a good community to present a few people with the opportunity to start something fresh. Another thing...I'm not vanishing anywhere. I have more respect in myself and my work than that. But your advice is valid. Thank you very much. This forum, afterall, is a machine, and as I continue to turn the gears, I'll come to understand how perfect it is. I'm no saint, afterall ;).

- Sean

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2005, 04:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.