PDA

View Full Version : UV Tip!

Cman
09-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Here's my first ever tip. I am by no means a UV expert - trust me - so this may already be possible by other means or something already widely known by everyone BUT me! :)

Anyway, here's my long story:

I always avoided UVs because they are so messy for me. The thing I hated most was that a Planar UV always distorted the original shape and so it became difficult for me to resize it back to what I wanted.
I disliked Atlas and Cylindrical and Spherical, likely due to my lack of understanding.

Anyway, it finally dawned on me today that the planar mapping is stretching selected polygons to fit a square area. So, duh, why not create a box surrounding my object for LW to UV as well and so FORCE LW to keep my selection properly sized!

As you can see in the image, Standard Planar UV stretched the points vertically and horizontally. Using the Texture Guide seemed a good answer, but then I got all those "extra" points floating around. It's like the isoparms are drawn properly but the points themselves are located in the Standard UV position. Meaning stretched out.
Then, when I created a box, I got the points and iso's in the right spot!
It looks properly scaled! :applause:

So anyway, that's my tip.

To make the box I created a boundingbox, then sized it to be a perfect square.
Then I tried to automate that process with an LScript.
Let me know what ya'll UV-gurus think.
Is this a decent technique?

Cman
09-28-2002, 09:40 PM
Here's the LScript.

It's called GreatBox.

After makign the box, you'd select the box and any geometry to want to make the UV. Invert the selection to make everything else invisible, then make a planar UV along the proper axis.
Do this for each bit of geometry you want a UV for.

When done, delete the box and all should be well.

It's basically the UV technique displayed here (http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/surface/character_UV/index.html) (adaptation of Meni's technique), but with a box to constraint the size of the created UVs.

Hey Proton, could this count for a tut? I could add pics and stuff. :)

proton
09-28-2002, 11:32 PM
Yes! :bounce:

Turn that bad boy into a tut and shoot itover to me.....thanx!

Williamv@newtek.com

Cman
09-29-2002, 02:32 AM
It's on its way.
Maybe some will find this to be good. :)

proton
09-29-2002, 04:16 AM
Thanx ...got it...:buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.